• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anime taking over the DVD scene?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marioc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime is mostly on dvd now. i remember when
I could get a VHs for nothing. And now DVds
have forced VHs price's to go up. "Whats up wit
that"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nobody uses VHS anymore. Get with the times.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
marioc wrote:
that"

The same reason records and tapes eventually went to CDs, and CDs to digital music.

I'll be within the next five or ten years, movies will all be purchased digitally, including anime.

Sounds cool, actually, since prices may not be as high with that.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:

I'll be within the next five or ten years, movies will all be purchased digitally, including anime.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's not that far off. I agree that basically everything will be available digitally, but there's still a market for people who want to just pick up a hard, sentimental copy for themselves or other people (as DVDs and other media are good presents).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The same reason records and tapes eventually went to CDs, and CDs to digital music.

It's funny, the Japanese are so much more technologically advanced than the US but they still prefer CDs to digital music. Wierd.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

It's funny, the Japanese are so much more technologically advanced than the US but they still prefer CDs to digital music. Wierd.

They're a vry materialistic society? [/pompus observation]
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
VHS sucks anyway. Anime dazed I mean, the quality was horrible, that and you can't have more than one sound track on the tape like a DVD. Thanks to DVDs, I can watch some anime I dislike the dub of with the Japanese track.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
And plus, rewinding was a b*tch.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I believe it'll probably be even sooner than that; perhaps three to five years. Also, if I remember correctly, ADV already has plans for a tentative pay-per-download system.
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
marioc wrote:
that"

Shocked

the present time wrote:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:04 pm Post subject: Is anime taking over the DVD scene?

1. Why would you want VHS? It doesn't have scene selection or languages capabilities or extras and can hold less content.
2. I didn't know VHS existed still. Didn't it go extinct about when the dinosaurs died out?
3. VHS is so bulky (like 10 times the volume) and I just love it when the VHS player messes up and the tape gets ripped out of the VHS and you have a nice cartridge of black paper. Anime exclamation kk no not rly
4. Actually I'm kind of surprised that anime went directly from VHS to DVD (skipping CDs). CDs can hold a decent amount of memory, but I guess it's not enough and DVDs were released not much later anyway (Casette/VHS --> CD/DVD).
5. VHS is more expensive because 1.) they're rare since nobody uses them (low supply --> high price) and 2.) inflation...prices aren't the same as before. (assuming the 3% Natural Rate of inflation, prices should be 30% more expensive than they were in 1996.)

Your topic title doesn't really match the content. Anime isn't "taking over the DVD scene" because there are tons of other movies, games and other forms of media in DVDs which are hundreds of times more popular than anime will probably ever be. There is less supply here to meet the less demand for it. However, anime series/movies are sold in all DVD format now (umm...like 99.999% of at least new releases) because releasing it on VHS would only be reasonable if they had a time machine and could force the world to go back about 10 years.

What do you mean exactly by digitally? You mean online-->TV/computer? Hmm if that happens I'll be tempted to just get fansubs because I won't feel like I'm getting anything...I kinda like having a tangible anime collection (although pretty small still) and nice art boxes and stuff. If it's ubercheap then sure I guess but how would that work? Would your anime be downloaded? That would seriously suck because I'd have to buy like two external hard drives (laptop ftw). Is there any factual basis on this? I thought blu-ray/HD-DVDs were most likely next option for media merchandise, but I think DVDs will stick around for a pretty long time still. Don't quote me on it though.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:

2. I didn't know VHS existed still. Didn't it go extinct about when the dinosaurs died out?

In my area there is a store that only sells and rents out VHS. I have no idea how they're still in business. I think it may be cause there's a lot of old people in my area. I heard this old guy in the store I work at rambling on about how VHS is better than DVD. He was pissed off cause our store doesn't carry VHS anymore (we actually haven't carried them for a few years). He said he didn't trust DVDs and that the DVD player he had wasn't very reliable and was hard to work. Basically a load of bull$hit.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Marioc, I am getting very sick and tired of these type of threads. All you're doing is trying to go around and over-glorify anime by proclaiming some insanely ignorant and misinformed personal viewpoint about it "taking over" this industry or that when it's really quite far from even coming close to it.

Stop it. If you're not going to be intelligent and mature about it, then just stop it. Next one I see gets locked. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Fui wrote:

In my area there is a store that only sells and rents out VHS. I have no idea how they're still in business. I think it may be cause there's a lot of old people in my area. I heard this old guy in the store I work at rambling on about how VHS is better than DVD. He was pissed off cause our store doesn't carry VHS anymore (we actually haven't carried them for a few years). He said he didn't trust DVDs and that the DVD player he had wasn't very reliable and was hard to work. Basically a load of bull$hit.

*ahem*
OH MY GOD!!11
Now that I think about it it's possible. I'm a college student in the heart of Los Angeles so I'm kind of used to only the most recent technology (video iPods, laptops with built-in fingerprint encryption security, earplug headphones with built-in bass subwoofers...). If there was a VHS-only store where I live it would die a horrible death. Unless it's like...geared towards a certain ethnic group. Sometimes I see Japanese VHS stores or Persian VHS stores. I don't know exactly why but it happens.
Urb'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:

What do you mean exactly by digitally? You mean online-->TV/computer? Hmm if that happens I'll be tempted to just get fansubs because I won't feel like I'm getting anything...I kinda like having a tangible anime collection (although pretty small still) and nice art boxes and stuff. If it's ubercheap then sure I guess but how would that work? Would your anime be downloaded? That would seriously suck because I'd have to buy like two external hard drives (laptop ftw). Is there any factual basis on this? I thought blu-ray/HD-DVDs were most likely next option for media merchandise, but I think DVDs will stick around for a pretty long time still. Don't quote me on it though.

I think this will ultimatly be the goal of all media, be it music, movies, even newspapers(and communications like phone)..
If you look at the tech house microsoft built that would a basic template of whats to come.
you could read the newspaper on a tablet, you would have a centralised small box that could be the hub of everything in your household. Your TV, movie collection, anime, music will all be subscribed and stored on the broadcasting network with real-time downloading when you require watching/listening to it(thus eliminating piracy at the same time)
with the broadband capabilities atm (im on 10mb, and they are looking at 20/30/40mb for home users(in uk)) I dont think the above scenario is out of the question. I can already watch streaming video's AND listen to music from websites, while on skype to my friend in the usa..
Prices will undoubtable drop as im sure it will be subcription based much like many movie channels. one advantage is that japanese companies no longer need a western distributer, they can deal and port the product straight to the broadcasting company or whoever deals with that side of putting on the network.

Were merly progressing thru the stepping stones one by one because people do not like change.. Just to get my Nan to watch Digital TV(uk) was a bloody hard job.

I personally dont own a VHS player, i haven't for a few years. Though i have over 500 purchased vhs caseettes, but most o them arnt worth watching because the quality has deteriorated so much that it ruins the whole 2hr experiance.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Cost of Production is so much cheaper when you produce more.
This is also Bulk buying for the stores.
Store that normally hold a lot of stock normally purchase their stock at a better price. Therefore again more savings.
And more people have DVDs as appose to VHS. Even the DVD players are cheaper that the VHS players.

Hardly any one is purchasing VHS tapes these days. I think the last VHS tape I purchased was in the year 2003. And that because it was the only way for me to purchase the orginal cinematic version with French Dialogue of Brotherhood of The Wolf.

Okay, DVD have this problem of Laser rot, but it sure beat me having my VHS quality go down with every time I watch the it.
Plus there is the problem of DUB vs. ORGINAL JAPANESE

In all honesty, I would be very suprised if any of the anime distributors are still producing VHS tapes. I think alot of that stop early 2001.

Eventually yes. However I think there is still going to be alot of people that would like to purchase some thing tangable.
Like we got iTUNES and some other legal music download services, however we still have Music Stores selling CD.

The other problem with every thing going digital is a lot of copywrite issues. There is also a lot of censorship issues too.
And finally we have the distribution issues. Eg. Like there is a lot of movies that we get in the cinema or dvd much later than people in the states. Eg. Sin City, HellBoy, Chronicles Of Riddick. I will not say Underworld as I know there was a law suit between 2 Sony and White-Wolf about that one.

There bandwidth issues in other country (Outside of Asia, Europe & USA). They are not that good. Where some people might be able to get a full movie in about 1 hour, it more like over night download for us. Until the worldwide internet situation improved alot, I think we are still a long way off replacing the DVD shop with on demand downloads.

There is also Windows Media Center. I work as a computer tech for a living. And in my honest opinion is that computer hardware and software has a LONG WAY TO GO before they completely replace DVD players.
Like compair the number of time you have to fix your computer because of a virus or a blue screen of death with the number of times you have any fault with your DVD player.

Urb' wrote:
I personally don't own a VHS player, i haven't for a few years. Though i have over 500 purchased vhs caseettes, but most o them arnt worth watching because the quality has deteriorated so much that it ruins the whole 2hr experiance.
I still got a lot of my anime tapes. I am keeping my eyes our for when they bring out the same title on to DVD format. However I am converting some of the titles that are unlikely to make the converstion over to DVD or Dvix format.

Apart from that, VHS tape make GREAT GIFT IDEAS for people that still like the older technology. I remember giving my next old next store neighbour my entire Coyboy BeBop VHS collection as he was helping me move house.
Plus there was the fact that the DVD box set as been released. I don't want to be holding on to some VHS tape that I am not going to watch ever again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3