• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which series has the best merchandise?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious Anime smile. Personally, I find Fullmetal Alchemist to have a nice selection to choose from. I mean, you got the awesome poseable figures (that I would love to have) or the cheaper miniture ones.

I also love Final Fantasy merchandise. I mean, the newer ones especially have so much detail into them it's so awesome! That and they're awesomely poseable Anime hyper

Anyways, thoughts? Opinions? Sorry if this thread was done once before, but I haven't seen it on here since I've been on.

[edit]- dang, I said awesome a lot.... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
I've got a bit of a weak spot for figures, especially capsule toys. My favorites in my collection are the Evangelion ones. There's a lot of nice stuff, but I'll admit there's way too much of it out there (I swear there's a Rei and/or Askura for nearly every fetish! Laughing Gothic lolita, swimsuits galore, hentai model kits... I think I even saw mermaids coming out soon.). Obvious cashing in, but the stuff I own is very well detailed.

However, my all-time favorite merchandise comes from Trigun. I love the Kaiyodo action figure line and was very disappointed to hear that it ended. I'm still waiting to get Gazelle, but I have the rest. The articulation is amazing and the little details on the accessories are incredible. I was a bit disappointed in how tiny Meryl was, but she still makes a nice figure.
There's other neat Trigun stuff, too. Like the Punisher necklace, the Kuroneko plushie... The Vash bobble-head scares me, though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
While the anime is more of a merchandising-based cartoon, I know, for merchandising, it's hard to beat Hello Kitty with her colour television and her toaster and her vibr-... "wand massager" Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
one word ... pokemon

they had everything just everything the gba game was the best though. followed closly by the collectable and playable cards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't look for figurines usually but when I went shopping in Osaka I found nearly half of the merchandise to be Gundam, no matter where I went. There were so many floors dedicated to Gundam models. Every single plastic mechanical piece imaginable to mankind was for sale. I've never seen anything quite like it. It must definitely be a huge thing overseas because the supply is overwhelming.

Space_cowboy64 wrote:
one word ... pokemon

I'd agree Pokemon was possibly the biggest hit in merchandise here; they milked every single possible useless desire that little brainless kids had (including myself). It was like the first really big 'Trading Card Game' (except for like Magic) and they sold pretty much anything you could think of. Also, how many video games did they make? They even made dual-versions of the same game (actually they even made a triple-version once with the "Pikachu/Yellow edition").
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
I'd agree Pokemon was possibly the biggest hit in merchandise here; they milked every single possible useless desire that little brainless kids had (including myself). It was like the first really big 'Trading Card Game' (except for like Magic) and they sold pretty much anything you could think of. Also, how many video games did they make? They even made dual-versions of the same game (actually they even made a triple-version once with the "Pikachu/Yellow edition").

*Raises hand* I was one of those brainless kids as well. I... *coughs* my parents spent probably $1,000 on merchandise and cards, and I sold most of my figures off (excluding the talking ones because they're too cute) for only $20. Kept the cards, though. I like the illustrations. Anime smile

rajamitsu wrote:
My favorites in my collection are the Evangelion ones. There's a lot of nice stuff, but I'll admit there's way too much of it out there (I swear there's a Rei and/or Askura for nearly every fetish! Laughing Gothic lolita, swimsuits galore, hentai model kits... I think I even saw mermaids coming out soon.).

I love the detail of the figures as well, but I think they've milked almost everything out of them. Pretty soon we're going to see Ninja Rei and Asuka, or farm animal Rei and Asuka. I wanna see some more Shinji and Kaworu stuffs! >.< They've already over done Rei and Asuka.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally i've been milked for alot of anime merchandise. Some of that merchandise included gundam model kits, pokemon trading cards, yu-gi-oh trading cards, figures, dvds, clothes and etc. I've probably spent over 1000 to maybe 2000 dollars on them. Now that I look back on them its just pretty cool stuff I like to keep around to help me remember my younger days (though for me this was only about 3 years ago that I stopped with buying the merchandise). Right now there are very few things I would buy but things that do interest me.

Hmmm anyone remember power rangers? I wonder if I could start a topic on it since it is originally from japan.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

rajamitsu wrote:
My favorites in my collection are the Evangelion ones. There's a lot of nice stuff, but I'll admit there's way too much of it out there (I swear there's a Rei and/or Askura for nearly every fetish! Laughing Gothic lolita, swimsuits galore, hentai model kits... I think I even saw mermaids coming out soon.).

I love the detail of the figures as well, but I think they've milked almost everything out of them. Pretty soon we're going to see Ninja Rei and Asuka, or farm animal Rei and Asuka. I wanna see some more Shinji and Kaworu stuffs! >.< They've already over done Rei and Asuka.

I think there's already been ninjas, actually. X3 Or something close to.

I agree with you, though. I'd love to see more Shinji and Kaworu. Maybe not in odd costumes, though... ^^;
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
I think there's already been ninjas, actually. X3 Or something close to.

I agree with you, though. I'd love to see more Shinji and Kaworu. Maybe not in odd costumes, though... ^^;

o_O Seriously? Man.... that's kinda.... strange....

.... .... yeah, for some reason, I thought of Cowboy Shinji and Kaworu.... Anime dazed that'd be strange. Maybe models of them in their school uniform and plug-suits, though... they probably already have that and have just never seen 'em.

Last edited by DarkTenshi90 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
o_O Seriously? Man.... that's kinda.... strange....

.... .... yeah, for some reason, I thought of Cowboy Shinji and Kaworu.... Anime dazed that'd be strage. Maybe models of them in their school uniform and plug-suits, though... they probably already have that and have just never seen 'em.

Here's the ninja-ish ones. Laughing

::snerk:: Yeag, I can see cowboys... X3 I've seen a couple kits and PVC figures of the guys in their school uniforms and have one capsule figure of Shinji in casual clothes. I still can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that anything you see of those two is normal...
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
Here's the ninja-ish ones. Laughing

::snerk:: Yeag, I can see cowboys... X3 I've seen a couple kits and PVC figures of the guys in their school uniforms and have one capsule figure of Shinji in casual clothes. I still can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing that anything you see of those two is normal...

Anime hyper In it's own way, the cowboy idea would be kinda cute. But in anycase, Anime dazed yeah, nothing of the norm. All I get from these types of models is that Rei and Asuka sure like to cosplay a lot... *coughs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1