• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone here have an anime guilty pleasure?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for Yu-Gi-Oh GX!, the theme song is just too awsome! "Well back at school they never taught us this, but somethings you just gotta learn hit or miss!" pwnage.....
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
.... I have an obsession with over angsty anime. If it makes me cry, I want to see the episode even more. Sad, ain't it?

Oh, also, if there's lots of fighting. That really gets me hyped up. Anime hyper
Samurai Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
I love the opening for Overman King Gainer.

I am a big Mai Hime fan and also now really liking Mai Otome so far. Mai Hime got me into the Mahou Shoujo genre, thus raising my dorkiness up a notch.

I have also recently gained interest in shoujo ai animes.

This one is for manga: When it comes to anime, I see that I like plenty of shoujo and shounen, with shounen being more prominent. With manga, I don't really like many shounen ones (at least from what I check out). Most Manga series I started are shoujo.
Lasco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
The only reason im watching Aria is that Round Table feat. Nino done the ED

I love harem animes, even though i cant stand the perverted, indevisive, spineless male leads.

I seem to always pick out the girls with the green hair...who generally seem to be the most agressive <shrugs>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
webwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Battle Athletes: Victory

I'm sorry, but that opening scene... I can't help myself. Gets me laughing every time I see it.
squirtbag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Lasco wrote:
The only reason im watching Aria is that Round Table feat. Nino done the ED

What do you think about the OP song? I think it has the same feel as the ED and I like both.

I especially like the insert song that comes with the OP CD called "symphony". Currently one of my favorite songs Smile
I like the OST also so I guess that means I like all of the songs from Aria..
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Mine I would have to say is the sad parts when everyone is crying and all depressed, I can't help but laugh at them.

I will laught at just about any misfortune i see in a show. The sadder it is the harder I laugh.

I also love any kind of comedy, especily the old men in the show, like grandfathers, that are compleatly peverted trying to hit on high school girls. They are the best. Honestly I can't blame them, being like 60 and wanting to get with a highschooler, that is like every mans dream......well atleast one of mine. Plus they are funny.

Other then that, hmm, OoOoO Yea! The fight sceans, the more macob it is the better. I love seeing people get disembowled, body parts cut off. Explosians don't realy do that for me, most of the time I find myself saying, " how the ******* can that just blow up? How can you cut a tire on a car, the car rolls over, then spontaniusly explodes. It is just not comprehendable."

Other then that nothing comes to mind.

See you all around!
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Honestly, my anime guilty pleasures are Pokemon and One Piece. One Piece, though it may be a hacked up pile, is still a pretty cool show to watch if you wanna pass the time. And Pokemon is kind of like that one Uncle that gives you $10 dollars everytime he see's ya. It's not exactly enough to get you that sweet X-Box 360 but it's still sweet. Plus, it's the show that started my interest in anime back when it was a brand new phenomenon.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it a "guilty pleasure" but Shikinouta from Samurai Champloo (1st ending theme I think) is one of the best songs from an anime ost or show or whatever i've heard in years. After listening to the endless "hard" rock on DBZ and what not a change of environemnt feels so good. Plus the beat is sick.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say Shaman King.
I know this is basically a kids show but the manga (which I believe was originaly aimed at a bit older audience) captured me so much I got 20 volumes of it in original Japanese. And also it came to be that I really like the anime. It strays a bit from the manga, actually losing what made the original interesting, but it did make a few things better. Like bokutou no Ryuu Razz (or was it Ryoo?). I like him better in the anime. Anyway, I just enjoy the characters in the TV series a bit better than in the manga. True, near the end the anime gets close to DBZ - villain of the week, everyone surpassing the limits of human. BUT. I still enjoyed it. Dont know why. Guess thats why they call it a guilty pleasure Razz (hmm, I actually liked the music too - another thing the manga can never have).

And the king of my guilty pleasures - Final Fantasy: Unlimited.
OMG! This series is sooo bad I just loved it Razz And the fact I am a FF geek did not have ANYTHING to do with it. It was just so damn funny seeing the main character using exactly the same lines and moves (hell - even the animation was the same) in each episode, blasting away familiar FF monsters. I mean, the whole thing was so generic, you could easily just rename this anime as: A Final Fantasy Animation thing. No need for anything extra. I guess I started to watch it because I needed a laugh. But in time it actually sucked me in. I was so captured by the sheer badness of it I just couldnt stop watching. And at the end - I had a nice time. Plus the ending was actually GOOD imho. Heh, good times. (the GF were butt ugly - like poligon drawing done by a retarded monkey on drugs.. half asleep... after falling a bunch os stairs... and hitting its head on a brick wall... and amidst a hard rock concert... in the center of a mosh pit.. well you get the idea).
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
For the werdiest reson whenever i rent Najica Blitz Tatics I just can not stop Listining to the ED Body And Mind by Natsumi Harada, (I guees i just love jazz) evan though i do not like series that much except for a few action scenes like in episode 1 spoiler[when Najica takes down a whole army of madies.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
whilst personally I see nothing wrong with it many other people do...so in that respect I suppose you could call it a guilty pleasure(even though I'm not guilty feeling at all...)

Hentai.

(pretty obvious really...)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
.... I have an obsession with over angsty anime. If it makes me cry, I want to see the episode even more. Sad, ain't it?

I'm right there with you. . .I think I've lost track of how many times I've watched the "sunset scene" from Chrono Crusade episode 24 Crying or Very sad Embarassed

So aside from tearjerker stuff, my guilty pleasures would have to be various cute elementary schoolgirl-targeted series, like Full Moon, CardCaptor Sakura, and Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar. . .to me, a guilty pleasure is a show that you like even though you "shouldn't" like it, so on those lines, I'm not sure if Mai Hime and Mai Otome fall into that category, since they're pretty mainstream in the fansub scene. However, even something like Bleach or Naruto could be considered a guilty pleasure, assuming that one is a "serious" anime fan and supposedly doesn't like popular action shows. So it's all relative.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
lately i've found myself watching Azumanga Daioh on the anime network. for some reason the dub makes me laugh, like spoiler[when Osaka had that big knife.]
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I guess for me its Ichigo Marshmalo but I just find it really funny.

I feel like a creepy old man when I get done watchint it. "hello want some candy little girl"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3