• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Shonen Jump Manga by All-Time Volume Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
@Crow Lia and Nonaka:
Kurumada's original Saint seiya (And Ring Ni Kakero.. even though no one asked haha) is still Shueisha owned..
BUT Saint Seiya Episode G, Lost Canvas and NEXT Dimension are owned by Akita Shoten.

So if Saint Seiya was such a good seller it would have been on the list, but no, its not as popular, it sold like 1,000,000 per volume from what I have read, being a 28 manga series it sold 28,000,000 more or less.

Still Saint Seiya is one of those Intellectual properties that while might have not sold incredibly good on manga/anime it has made Kurumada filty rich.. Imagine how much he gains from the sells of the Saint Seiya figures, because they aren't only sold in Japan but around the world!

Same thing for Kazuki Takahashi (Creator of Yu-Gi-Oh!) its manga sold well but imagine how much he makes from the best-selling card game ever!

@kutsu:
Thanks.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
the only reason one piece beat dragonball is because they dont stop making one piece......
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
^^^

if one were to look at earlier lists it would show that one piece surpassed Dball a long time ago. it isn't just because of its length,explain why jojo isn't ahead of it? it has more than a 100 volumes then both of the series and ranks below DB.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Anytime I see a chart like this I love it. I love seeing One Piece as the most popular Jump series of all time. It really deserves it. Oda is a genius.

DragonBall inspired One Piece too; so I dunno why people are mad that One Piece ended up surpassing it. Think of that as a compliment to DragonBall. Do you know how many manga artists were inspired by that series? Without it, we wouldn't have some of the greatest hits there are today.

Thank you DragonBall; and keep going higher One Piece!
Fyndra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Yu Yu Hakusho with its 19 volumes? This series really is something Very Happy
I'm also glad to see Kenshin getting some boom since last year - though I don't know whether this +1M copies is sufficient or not regarding the movie & other extra stuff released this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
the only reason one piece beat dragonball is because they don't stop making one piece......

I thought that too, but if you do the math, One Piece actually has a higher average sales per volume than Dragonball. If you were looking at America, then Dragonball likely outsells One Piece, but in Japan, One Piece is HUGE, right title at the right time I guess.

If there were a "valid" way to gauge such a thing, One Piece may be benefitting from a larger market (just as an example, Comiket has grown significantly since Dragonball was being published) but raw volume count is not the reason for OP's success over DB. (If anything, I'd argue OP has a much larger FEMALE audience than DB had, even if the MALE audience is the same)
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
no surprise there

op is a juggernaut
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Then again, One Piece is already much longer than Dragon Ball, so that's part of it probably.

That's basically the problem with judging things this way. Longer series have an advantage if you look at "all time" sales.

That's why I prefer "top selling volumes" instead. Judging how high the highest selling volume in each series sold.
VanzZz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
(some I despise coughnarutocough)
Lol
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Then again, One Piece is already much longer than Dragon Ball, so that's part of it probably.

That's basically the problem with judging things this way. Longer series have an advantage if you look at "all time" sales.

That's why I prefer "top selling volumes" instead. Judging how high the highest selling volume in each series sold.

One Piece would still be ahead by a pretty significant margin.
andyseed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

But a series like DB also had 10 plus years to add extra sales to it's Vols.
Also longer series don't really have a advantage look at JoJo , Bleach , Naruto , Kochikame all with Vols count longer than DB but still millions behind .

OP is just abnormal Naruto at 62 vols which is only 5 behind OP but OP sold twice as much .
VanzZz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
the only reason one piece beat dragonball is because they don't stop making one piece......
You realize that the number 3 has more volumes/chapter even if you put dragonball and one piece together
Jure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if One Piece would still be first if these were international sales, as far as I know Dragon Ball is best selling manga outside Japan.
VanzZz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:
I wonder if One Piece would still be first if these were international sales, as far as I know Dragon Ball is best selling manga outside Japan.
this is internetional
andyseed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Jure wrote:

Most likely not , while DB sold allot WW it can't make up for the numbers in Japan to make it number 1 if we add OP international sales also .
OP not be popular in NA (still sell okay compare to other titles ) but it sells good in Asia and Europe compare to other series.

VanzZz wrote:
Jure wrote:
this is internetional

Most likely not because DB is over 200 million if you count international sales (or 300 can't remember right now ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5