• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Can't Fight Fate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
Cd Japan only has games for vita and psp... I just a pc version... one day I hope, one day

J-List sells the PC version for $115, and PaletWeb also currently has a new copy for $98 (you'll need to register to see adult games.)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
The point is that Type Moon had several options for a kickbutt female who was you know an actual female.

And they created one. (Well, there are some issues with Saber's characterization, but not like that would have changed had she been a different figure.) Regardless, Saber is female.

Honestly, what the &**& does it matter that Saber is based on a legendary figure that most believe is male? Why would Saber being someone from history/legend who was known as female have improved the story?

It comes off as fetishizing King Arthur. Do we really need this added to the legend of King Arthur?

http://www.toysnjoys.com/fatestaynight/fhasabermaidhall.jpg
ShadowmageShin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:
Here is my only problem with the Fate/ series:

Arthur had to be female because the protagonist Shirou was male. These two were supposed to be a couple so they needed to be opposite genders (nothing against homosexuality). In the Prototype of F/SN, Arthur was a male and proto-Shirou was a female; however, the genders were swapped because there was the fear that the market wouldn't accept a female lead in an 18+ shounen game.

Now I suppose you can say that they should have found another woman to take Saber's role instead of gender-bending Aruthur. They can't. The core theme of Fate/Stay Night is about blind heroism and how it will destroy a person. There is no famous female historical figure that fits the bill as neatly as Arthur. From the beginning, the story was built around the core idea of "Saber is Arthur." Changing that keystone would alter the show itself.

If you feel differently, by all means name me a well known female that was known for a strong sense of justice and sacrificed herself for what she perceived to be the good of others. The closest I can get to is Joan of Arc, and she believed that God spoke to her, which means her perspective would be "God is with me, ergo I am just" as opposed to "justice for justice's sake". Simply put, there is not a world-renound female figure that has the exact perspective of Arthur.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, FATE. I'm currently plowing through the first route of the original game.

It's thanks to FSN that I now prefer writing action stories in present tense, and I've studied the fight scenes in it to help me write my own fight scenes. Hell, FSN in general has helped me improve my writing quite a bit, and it inspired me to take up writing again.

I think one of the things that I really like about FSN is that it has a very "mature" air to me. As in, it managed to mix the epic action parts with the SOL/world-building/non-actiony parts really well in my opinion. This is somehing I have trouble doing (most of my fantasy stories come out more as Chuunibyou shounen). So I applaud Nasu for being a damn good writer. I wanna be as good as him one day.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
The ps vita is getting a fate stay/night realta nua port in the near future for Japan, so I would say there is a chance for an english version to be appearing in the near future from Aksys games. They published Fate/Extra on the psp late 2011, making it possible for them to obtain the license for it. Also, in 2012 they published a light novel on the psp.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It's thanks to FSN that I now prefer writing action stories in present tense, and I've studied the fight scenes in it to help me write my own fight scenes. Hell, FSN in general has helped me improve my writing quite a bit, and it inspired me to take up writing again.

Shocked

Well, first of all, you're not exactly reading Nasu's writing. You're reading a translated rendition of Nasu's writing (primarily) by a dude called TakaJun. And neither Nasu or TakaJun are the next Hemingway or Dostoevsky. Secondly, this is not a novel. VNs have visuals and sounds to accompany the text. They want to pull you into the scene as the protagonist. That's why the present tense and the disjointed sentences work (not for all people, mind you). So be careful with that.

What concerns the genderbent Arthur matter, I don't really see a problem in someone using the artistic license on already a fictional universe. The character works inside the setting. I do think that Joan of Arc with some adjustments could work just as well if not better, because of her blind conviction to save France.

Last edited by jl07045 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
But then what would happen to Casters insane delusions in Zero? They would be...non-delusional.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

It comes off as fetishizing King Arthur. Do we really need this added to the legend of King Arthur?

>implying Arthurian Legend isn't highly fetishized already
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Are you implying it is? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of sex, but it's usually in there to cause trouble for someone, not to titillate the reader.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:

Are you implying it is? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of sex, but it's usually in there to cause trouble for someone, not to titillate the reader.

Don't look at it from such a modern perspective.
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Ok, but what is the perspective your using to justify your statement? I'm genuinely curious.

And, frankly, as a modern person, I think a modern perspective is a perfectly valid one to look at it from, though certainly not the only one.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Beized wrote:

Don't look at it from such a modern perspective.

I may not be an expert on Athurian lore but I dont remember the part were King Arthur dressed up as a french maid.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

And any other figure would be fetishized as well. Do we really need stuff like that added to the story of Joan of Arc? How would Joan of Arc in a made outfit be better?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Shocked

Well, first of all, you're not exactly reading Nasu's writing. You're reading a translated rendition of Nasu's writing (primarily) by a dude called TakaJun.

Well, then perhaps it behooves me to attribute some of my praise to mister TakaJun.

Quote:
And neither Nasu or TakaJun are the next Hemingway or Dostoevsky.

Well, obviously, though my praise is more for Nasu's storytelling than his actual writing.

Quote:
Secondly, this is not a novel. VNs have visuals and sounds to accompany the text.

Of course, but VNs still have a lot of description of events and characters as well.

Quote:
They want to pull you into the scene as the protagonist. That's why the present tense and the disjointed sentences work (not for all people, mind you). So be careful with that.

Well, to be honest, I like the use of present tense to make the action feel like it's happening NOW as opposed to being recounted (as past tense does), which is partially why I use it for action stories.[/i]
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

There's the whole Castle Anthrax episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6