• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
I watched this title a while ago. I really don't understand the hype that this series get. It does have a really good idea. but it really isnt the kinda type that gets you in an "excited" mood. more of a reflective mood. But Neon Genesis Does the same in the aspect but better.

But something i was really confused about is what the story was symbolic to. I was thinking spoiler["Going over the wall" ]was like going into heaven and that the haibanes were in purgatory?

Induldge.
bquinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Baka... wrote:
I watched this title a while ago. I really don't understand the hype that this series get. It does have a really good idea. but it really isnt the kinda type that gets you in an "excited" mood. more of a reflective mood. But Neon Genesis Does the same in the aspect but better.

But something i was really confused about is what the story was symbolic to. I was thinking spoiler["Going over the wall" ]was like going into heaven and that the haibanes were in purgatory?

Induldge.

Well i think the point wasnt to get you excited. A lot of animes go for that reflective type style and their point is to get you thinking.

Anyhow spoiler[I guess i considered the haibanes like ghosts, a ghost cant continue to the next plane of existance until it comes to terms with whatever it is that caused him to become a ghost rather then leave his world. Once the haibanes did that, then they went over the wall.] Also i liked spoiler[ When kana explained why they could not feed the crows, because the crows would become to comfortable and become domesticated basicly. I found that really ironic considering the haibane's position in the town.]
Sogen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyhow spoiler[I guess i considered the haibanes like ghosts, a ghost can't continue to the next plane of existance until it comes to terms with whatever it is that caused him to become a ghost rather then leave his world. Once the haibanes did that, then they went over the wall.]

That's almost how I thought... But spoiler[rather than thinking of them as ghosts I thought that the haibanes were in a coma in the real world, and would return here when they were ready, or something like that.]
bquinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Sogen wrote:
Quote:
Anyhow spoiler[I guess i considered the haibanes like ghosts, a ghost can't continue to the next plane of existance until it comes to terms with whatever it is that caused him to become a ghost rather then leave his world. Once the haibanes did that, then they went over the wall.]

That's almost how I thought... But spoiler[rather than thinking of them as ghosts I thought that the haibanes were in a coma in the real world, and would return here when they were ready, or something like that.]

I guess there are many different ways to explain an out of body experience, all can be correct Laughing
Killer HMD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
Well, i just watched this anime and it did not fullfill my expectations...
First: spoiler[ the anime ends without really explaining where they are and what the haibanes are, we can only guess what happened.]
Second: spoiler[ the only thing they do is... living. Working, playing, eating, growing up (that really desapointed me, because i tought they were dead), playing! I tought at least in the end we would know what happened to Rakka, and what was outside the wall. Oh yeah, and there was no violence at all! Twisted Evil not even bloodless.]
And third: spoiler[ Even the best part of the anime, that should be the complex task of discovering about themselves wasn't all this elaborated.]
I really did not enjoyed...
Maybe it was because I recently watched Elfen Lied (wich is now on my top 3 favorite) and was looking for something in the same level.
[/spoiler]

Last edited by Killer HMD on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Urb'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote
its always open for interpretation,spoiler[there were normal people there living and breeding, if it was purgatory on some level, it is where you make up for your sins or confront something, ie they always say ghosts have unfinished business if they dont move on, wether the haibane were sinners(suicide or somehow died with sin), the whole town was created for the haibane. Beyond the wall may be other towns just like this one, thus the traders, but i guess once you reach enlightenment and faced what was holding you back, you pass on, they didn't need to show this for each character, if it was explained with the 1st haibane who moved on, then that explanation of whats going on makes the rest of the story not have as much effect, it was explained at the end with the older girl, so you saw just one progression as it doesnt happen everyday.

i think the "over the wall" was just an explanation for the unknown, but that isnt what happens when it was their time, kind of like stargate series and ascending..]

with regards to the crows/wings spoiler[they are normally associated with death(/suicide/ungodly) and dismay.. i think this is why the haibane wings turn black as the crows..(when they are sinbound)]

i dont think you need every part of a story explained, you dont need a how they got there, you need the given situation and the right clues, and you work it out for yourself..

Last edited by Urb' on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:39 am; edited 6 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote
Killer HMD wrote:
Second: spoiler[ the only thing they do is... living. Working, playing, eating, growing up (that really desapointed me, because i tought they were dead), playing! I tought at least in the end we would know what happened to Rakka, and what was outside the wall. Oh yeah, and there was no violence at all! Twisted Evil not even bloodless.]

I'd like to know how old you are. Apparently you haven't learned to enjoy the beauty of quietness and serenity.

Killer HMD wrote:
I really did not enjoyed, and i really think this anime is so overrated because the wings make the characters pretty...

I'd rate it exactly the same if they didn't have wings.

On a sidenote: necroposting is not recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Killer HMD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
I'm 24, and I really was expecting more, I enjoy the beauty of quietness and serenity in my life, usually I don't look in anime what i have in life. I like anime for the drama, the fantasy, sometimes, a little violence too. Laughing

Sorry for criticizing the anime, I only did that because the creator of the thread didn't seen to like it so much either. like he said this anime has a "more of a reflective mood", but even that wasn''t so great like in evangellion, or RahXephon, or Elfen Lied (and those even have a lot of action)...

I only expected more of it's plot, and more explanations.

P.S.: i deleted the provoking sentence from my previous post, could you delete it on your quote? thanks.

Last edited by Killer HMD on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Urb'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
just edited my post,

It did get me thinking, mainly if there was an afterlife, but this may be one of the series that if it had explained everything, it would have been as dramatic or have a lasting effect.
It certainly didn't need closure as its a constant cycle of life. which i normally prefer closure in a series, but i enjoyed this.. even though its not my type of anime. i guess a series differes from the understanding of the viewer, if someone knows certain sybolic references, it makes more sense than someone who takes the story at face value.
Killer HMD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Urb' wrote:
i guess a series differes from the understanding of the viewer, if someone knows certain sybolic references, it makes more sense than someone who takes the story at face value.

That would maybe be the case, cause where i live, most of people are catholic, spoiler[and the crown and wings are very used by saints and angels... it only meant for me that they were probably dead]

I think the only episody i really enjoyed was spoiler[the one where they write about how the world and the haibane were created]. If the series were all like that, I'd think i would have enjoyed more.

Last edited by Killer HMD on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
Killer HMD wrote:
I think the only episody i really enjoyed was spoiler[the one where they write about how the world and the haibane were created]. If the series were all like that, I'd think i would have enjoyed more.

Why?

This doesn't make sense to me, that episode was as reflective as any other in Haibane Renmei, yet you specifically point that one out as "I wish every episode was like it". There's no violence in that episode, nothing is explained, just more of "the same thing".

On the rest of the topic,

I don't get why you even watched the series, I do not understand how you can say it's "overhyped" when you obviously do not have the right mindset to enjoy it, and I think you realize it yourself as well.

It seems crazy to me to rate Haibane Renmei low because there isn't any violence in the series. Did you ever call a pig a crappy flyer by any chance?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I suppose so, but sometimes, you just can't win if you want to post about certain shows or topics. If you make a new post, then people yell at you and say, "This has been discussed already!" and post three or four links to previous posts on the subject. However, if somebody is actually dilligent enough to use the forum search and post in one of those older topics (thus not creating another new topic on Evangelion, sub vs. dub, etc.), they get chastised for necroposting. At least this one isn't from years ago.

Edit: this kind of dilemma seems to exist on other forums as well, not just ANN. And the "people" I'm referring to could be anyone--it could be mods, other staff like abunai & dormcat, or even just random people who do those things. I've done the same thing myself, though usually after making some comment on the new thread.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I suppose so, but sometimes, you just can't win if you want to post about certain shows or topics. If you make a new post, then people yell at you and say, "This has been discussed already!" and post three or four links to previous posts on the subject. However, if somebody is actually dilligent enough to use the forum search and post in one of those older topics (thus not creating another new topic on Evangelion, sub vs. dub, etc.), they get chastised for necroposting. At least this one isn't from years ago.[/code]

As far as I know, you're probably talking about specific users with no moderation powers. Topics get rerun month after month after month, and even the most flame provocive ones (Sub vs Dub) are allowed to stay on the board.

I'm not speaking for them, but as far as I can see, ANN has no problems with remaking old threads.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
As far as I know, you're probably talking about specific users with no moderation powers.

I have to make a formal statement that I neither have had, nor am willing to obtain, moderation powers. Seems like a lot of users have mistaken me as a moderator.

Zalis116 wrote:
I suppose so, but sometimes, you just can't win if you want to post about certain shows or topics. If you make a new post, then people yell at you and say, "This has been discussed already!" and post three or four links to previous posts on the subject. However, if somebody is actually dilligent enough to use the forum search and post in one of those older topics (thus not creating another new topic on Evangelion, sub vs. dub, etc.), they get chastised for necroposting.

I agree with you completely. However, in this specific case, within so many Haibane-related threads Killer HMD picked a thread with a rather unspecific subject. I'd only resurrect an old thread if new information and/or new opinions are directly related to the original subject of the thread. If I were Killer HMD, I would start a new thread with a title like "Just finished Haibane Renmei -- rather unsatisfactory." This would separate itself from "general Haibane Renmei" threads or topic-specific threads like this one.

Sorry for getting this thread carried away. Please carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
the_cutter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Iemander here, with that mindset Killer HMD you were doomed to be dissapointed, even though HB is probably the most charming anime there. Shame.

dormcat wrote:
This would separate itself from "general Haibane Renmei" threads or topic-specific threads like this one.

Very nice plug of a brilliant thread there. Wink Razz

*backs off to the lurkin' mode*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3