• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teen Arrested for Stabbing Teacher With Pen for Confiscating Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I personally think this is an individual school problem, because in my middle school days, when items were confiscated, as someone pointed out they usually give a notice to the parents to pick it up, OR, they get it back at the end of the period/school day.

In the same sense, I also feel like kids/teens these days don't really have respect for teachers as well. With teachers and students, sometimes the teachers even throw a blind eye.

My friend told me that she was in high school and she refused to let the teacher take her cell phone, even though it was her fault for being rude in class. Her argument was that that it belonged to her (or something of the sort). But also, she knew that her mom wasn't going to come to school to pick up the cell phone on her behalf.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Are you one of those cranks who insist that AD(H)D doesn't exist? Because that is patently insulting to those of us who actualy have to do deal with it every day.
Chagen, drop the persecution complex. That most diagnoses for the ailment are handed out to kids that are simply ill-fitted to the prevailing school model is true regardless of whether either one has an independent existence.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I agree, at no point were the whole details released. We do not know if a struggle occurred prior to the stabbing, nor do we know what all was said. Also, we do not know if the teacher had intended to give back the manga after the confiscation. It could be a situation with a hostile teacher and/or hostile student. I understand that people do snap under pressure and/or in the heat of the moment.

A manga shouldn't warrant stabbing someone, plain and simple. If it's really that much of an issue have your parents call the school or go to higher ups about it, but stabbing someone? Seriously, that's just messed up. Nothing indicates the teacher wouldn't have returned the manga after class or at the end of the day or to a parent or anything; as is usually the case.

Sorry, I might feel slightly bad for the kid had he stabbed the teacher once in frustration. However, 10+ times is indicative a truly disturbed kid or someone who can't control their anger and I have a hard time siding with this kid given the information at hand.

Also, this thread is not about ADHD and it was never even mentioned in the article. So let's not derail this discussion towards that issue as it isn't relevant to this article. You want to argue unrelated conspiracy theories then take it to PMs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I was just using it as a basis for comparison - basically, I was saying this incident's probably as much an artifact of the school system as that. Of course, the whole stabbing thing's probably more due to the notorious levels of stress that are pretty much unique to the eastern Asian schools. I don't disagree that simple lack of discipline could've been behind him reading manga in class, but the assault's almost certainly indicative of a deeper issue.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Are you one of those cranks who insist that AD(H)D doesn't exist? Because that is patently insulting to those of us who actualy have to do deal with it every day.
Chagen, drop the persecution complex. That most diagnoses for the ailment are handed out to kids that are simply ill-fitted to the prevailing school model is true regardless of whether either one has an independent existence.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pull the persecution complex card, but I've had to deal with my fair share of people who insist that my "parents didn't beat you enough" or that I'm just a "lazy asshole" and I'm rather jaded at this point.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
And this is why you should hit your kids more

As a criminal justice major who specialized in criminal profiling I have a problem with this statement. Simply "hitting your kids more" or beating them is not the answer. I'm not saying a proper and modest spanking when deserved is out of line but just hitting your kids more is not good. it can lead to all sorts of bad behavior traits later on. I do agree kids now a days as a whole lack proper discipline but that is a whole different idea then what you said. I hope you were just talking in jest because if you were serious I hope you do not have kids anytime soon.

As for the article it is very sad to hear. That child obviously needs proper discipline and some help with anger issues. Given the details about the amount of times he stabbed the teacher over this simple matter he has some anger issues he needs help with. I hope the parents get that child some help and the teacher recovers fine and gets back to teaching. I also would say that a teacher has every right to confiscate material or objects that impede the productivity of the classroom or other students. You know you shouldn't be reading, playing, texting or doing whatever during class. So a teacher has every right away the object. Now obviously they have to give it back at the end of class/the school day but taking it away until then is perfectly fine. Trying talking or playing on your cell phone during court and see what happens.

faintsmile1992 wrote:
Many teachers are jerks, so stop white knighting for 'em as an entire profession, cause the bit about staff confiscating property and not returning it afterwards is dead right. I'm not saying there aren't good teachers but WTF as a profession they suck the same as with other authority figures.

Did school staff do anything to stop kids bullying one another when I was there? No. They didn't do their job but what kind of wage did they get for teaching?

There's a lot of goody two shoes on this forum, I stabbed a teacher with a pen once, but it wasn't for confiscation of property though, they were just pissing me off. (Confiscation of minor items was funny, I turned it into a show in front of the class, made the teacher look small and ridiculous like most such 'authority figures' usually are.)

I guess to have made him want to stab someone ten times, she must have really made him blow his top.

Just stabbed a teacher with a pen once because they pissed you off. How quaint. Because stabbing anyone with something, regardless of what it is, because they pissed you off is of course the proper thing to do. Rolling Eyes Be sure to send us emails when you get locked up one day with that kind of attitude. Ya know that's the kind of thinking a sociopath has btw. Won't even bother to go into the sheer ignorance of how teachers are almost all useless according to you. I think the ignorant one here is you.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll bet this was about much more than just having your comics taken away.

It's possible that this kid did have some deep-seated issues that've been stewing for awhile, and this incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

For all we know, even if he didn't get his books taken, something else could've set him off if the conditions were right. That teacher basically did the right thing at the worst possibe moment.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely hope the teacher has fully recovered as I view this as an outrageous act of misconduct.

Without knowing the full details I can't really justify blaming either party but on a personal level I'm going to blame the kid and his parents. I am a strong believer in being accountable for your actions and the kid should be punished accordingly.

The kid didn't have to attend school, he could have left and read his comics outside but on the other hand I also don't believe teachers should be able to confiscate things but the fact that the kid stabbed the teacher multiple times is unforgivable in my view and if he was my kid he would either be disowned or severely punished.

As for hitting your kids, it depends on the situation. I'm in no way going to justify simply beating your kids over the head everytime they did something wrong but if they did do something really bad then I believe hitting your child as a form of punishment is justified. They have to know that their actions have consequences, and I'm not talking about a slap on the wrist of no tv or internet for a week.

Lastly my personal opinion on the school system is that it is doing just fine. I say this because I believe everybody should be given the same opportunities so therefore putting 30 or so students into a classroom and giving them the same lesson is the best way to accomplish this in my opinion. If even one person in the class can succeed then that shows there was nothing wrong with the teacher and that the other students just didn't work hard enough.

I know I'm taking a harsh stance on this issue but these were the things I was taught at a young age. I'm 19 now so maybe my opinion will change in the future but as of right now, I believe people should be accountable for their actions and if someone can succeed given the same treatment then there's no reason why I can't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
I am a strong believer in being accountable for your actions and the kid should be punished accordingly.
I agree with you here, though I think the blame on his parents is entirely misplaced, unless they're abusive.
Quote:
Lastly my personal opinion on the school system is that it is doing just fine. I say this because I believe everybody should be given the same opportunities so therefore putting 30 or so students into a classroom and giving them the same lesson is the best way to accomplish this in my opinion.
"Equality" is mis- and overused these days(it's worth noting that "all men are created equal" was talking solely about equality before the law). Human beings aren't identical and each one has individual needs, which need to be taken into account(and I've experienced this first hand training people on the job). Instruction simply doesn't scale terribly well and with 30 kids an instructor's pretty much limited to targeting the median, which impairs the brighter pupils from making the most of their academic abilities and forces the slower ones to play catch up all the time.
Quote:
If even one person in the class can succeed then that shows there was nothing wrong with the teacher and that the other students just didn't work hard enough.
No, generally a 97% failure rate indicates a rather severe problem. If only one kid out of thirty succeeds, he probably could've learned it all on his own anyway; the rest will see their drive to learn suppressed from the bad experience, which is a far greater travesty than simple failure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, Asian schools can have 50+ students per classroom, and a lot of them succeed. Laughing
(There are a lot of other problems too, but they do succeed.)
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
"Equality" is mis- and overused these days(it's worth noting that "all men are created equal" was talking solely about equality before the law). Human beings aren't identical and each one has individual needs, which need to be taken into account(and I've experienced this first hand training people on the job). Instruction simply doesn't scale terribly well and with 30 kids an instructor's pretty much limited to targeting the median, which impairs the brighter pupils from making the most of their academic abilities and forces the slower ones to play catch up all the time.

I do not believe the academic setting was slowing down the brighter pupils. I was able to do better on average (by about 10%) than my classmates while in the same room as them. Same with many other students when I went to highschool a couple of years ago.

The slower ones were catching up but that's just how it should be. They need to catch up if they want to succeed along with everyone else. If they can't then in my opinion they're a failure and should go work at McDonalds. If you're going to bring up people who need special attention, will I have a learning disability and I was still able to beat most of my classmates. It's all about how badly you want to accomplish something.

The main issue is that most kids just don't want to go to school, all they want to do is sit a home watch tv and expect life to just hand them everything which isn't going to happen.

Quote:
No, generally a 97% failure rate indicates a rather severe problem. If only one kid out of thirty succeeds, he probably could've learned it all on his own anyway; the rest will see their drive to learn suppressed from the bad experience, which is a far greater travesty than simple failure.

Okay that was a bad example but in all seriousness, unless the kid is mentally disabled there's no reason why he can't succeed just like the successful kids in the class. The reason why he failed was probably because he had no motivation which resulted in him not paying attention in class which lead to less than remarkable results on tests and exams.

In conclusion, I believe everyone should be given the same treatment and whether they choose to excel or stagger behind is completely up to their own free will.

But with that being said I will admit some kids to have learning disabilities do need special help because certain circumstances prevent them from doing their best. Though I do think most learning disabilities don't really affect the person that much and that kids these days just use it as an excuse to fail. My best friend for example always uses that excuse when he fails and he's failed A LOT. And yes I still have my learning disability so I know how it feels. In most cases though, the students just lack the resolve to do any work. Well atleast that was the case with my highschool as most students dreaded going to class and actually having to use their brain.

I forgot to mention the parent topic, I believe the parents should be atleast partially responsible because they raised the kid themselves or atleast I hope so. Therefore any morals between what's right and wrong was influenced by them.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Unless anything has changed in the last few years, the Japanese education system does not make it easy for teachers to deal with problem students; they have no way of disciplining them. To quote Azrael:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Japanese Jr High Schools at least, have two rather silly rules.

1. The students have the right to attend class. So, no matter what they're doing, we can't kick them out. Also, there's nothing like detention.
2. No matter what, a student will pass through the grades and graduate. Even if he/she does ZERO work.

Think about that for a moment. You're 14 years old, in school. Someone tells you you can talk, skip class, basically do whatever you want, and not only *not* get in trouble for it, but you're going to graduate anyway? ....Yeah. So, this year we've got a lot of bastards. I consider it a good day when they all decide to skip, or put on their headphones, head for the back, and go to sleep.

Mental health in Japan is also a different kettle of fish to over here. Putting aside ADHD, if he had even a mild form of Autism I could imagine him reacting badly in this circumstance so it is not clear cut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Unless anything has changed in the last few years, the Japanese education system does not make it easy for teachers to deal with problem students; they have no way of disciplining them. To quote Azrael:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Japanese Jr High Schools at least, have two rather silly rules.

1. The students have the right to attend class. So, no matter what they're doing, we can't kick them out. Also, there's nothing like detention.
2. No matter what, a student will pass through the grades and graduate. Even if he/she does ZERO work.

Think about that for a moment. You're 14 years old, in school. Someone tells you you can talk, skip class, basically do whatever you want, and not only *not* get in trouble for it, but you're going to graduate anyway? ....Yeah. So, this year we've got a lot of bastards. I consider it a good day when they all decide to skip, or put on their headphones, head for the back, and go to sleep.

Mental health in Japan is also a different kettle of fish to over here. Putting aside ADHD, if he had even a mild form of Autism I could imagine him reacting badly in this circumstance so it is not clear cut.

With all due respect Shiroi Hane, those rules you listed sound almost comical in a sense, as I am trying to comprehend how the Japanese junior high education system would allow students just to do what ever they want and still graduate even if they have no minimal or no work at all.

If that were truly the case (not that I am doubting you, but rather perplexed to say the least) how would students be able to pass most highschool exams/graduate from such prestigious educations if they didn't really have to attend lessons during the time they were in junior high.

Regardless, I am truly hoping this lady is able to make a speedy recovery. This genuinely makes me sad that anyone would do this just for a comic book.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
What happened:
Kid with violent tendencies, possession issues and low self control assaults a teacher for offending him.

How people will interpret:
Manga makes children violent sociopaths.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
What happened:
Kid with violent tendencies, possession issues and low self control assaults a teacher for offending him.

How people will interpret:
Manga makes children violent sociopaths.

Anime, manga, video games, television, music, comics in general have been scapegoats for a very long time now. Even though there been studies proving that said media in themselves don't automatically cause kids to become violent or what ever label is used these days, ultimately the interpretations will be the only aspect most non manga readers might look at.

But if they are to "blame" manga, then in theory, there would be blame on the fact that the ball point pen inflicted the damage and therefore to some, may then be considered a "weapon." Granted, that doesn't hold up, as virtually any item can be used as a weapon, regardless of if the item wasn't designed to be a weapon in any way, shape or form initially.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6