• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with a great band of heros!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime to me has to have a band or group of misfit heroes who are essential to the storyline and plot development.

a classic group of bandits normally included complete opposites for example samurai champloo the two samurai couldn’t be more different. Which makes it great yea.

However larger groups are better like the bebop crew. They all bring in there own special abilities and attributes. But are all completely different. Which is why we love them.

the audience normally has to identify with a character or see them as a hero or idol to look up to. so what are your favourite band of heroes.

so the question is what is your favourite group of heroes from an anime TV series or film. mine is the crew of the bebop because they are all so different but all care for one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aero041191

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, one of my favorite groups is the Outlaw Star group. Each one has a unique personality that makes the series interesting. Gene is the tough one, Melfina the quiet, Jim the smart one, Suzuka the "deadly" one, and Aisha the crazy one. They make a great crew with the different, yet interlocking personalities.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
outlaw star is a great programe and your right a really well written characters. good choice.

if only outlaw star was still on tv in the uk Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aero041191

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is a shame it was cut from the U.S as well, but did they air all the episodes in the uk or did it stop during the airing?
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
well it was kinda crazy there used to be this channel the only channel to show any anime it used to show bebop, outlaw star and spawn then it was cancelled which was a damn shame cause it had to be one of the greatest channels of all time. it even show the old tv series kung fu and Bruce Lee movies every night. so what they did was they put out a public announcement on their website and then aired the last episodes of bebop spawn and outlaw star. so i saw the last episode but about half the series...at least i think it was half the series... Confused
Aero041191

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least you finished. Wasn't that wierd when spoiler[Melfina came back to Gene to ask for his wish, and then he said "my wish is to be with you" and then Gene merged with the ship and killed that guy]?
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
A great band of heroes? Hmm ... lets see. Oh yeah, the Suzaku seven from Fushigi Yuugi. All the characters are funny and strong. Especially Tamahome and Tasuki. Those two in particular crack me up when they're together.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
yea that last episode is FLIPPIN NUTS its just plain crazy i was tottaly confused. especialy when spoiler[he merged with the ship and took on that crazy guy and you saw the ship blow up but it was just so fast paced it came back out of no where.] yea that was crazy especialy if you havnt seen the entire series.

thanks for you comments so far.
Ninja_Silva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like the Keron group from the anime Keroro Gunso,or known as it's manga title Sgt. Frog,(anime not in US yet) Keroro is the weird leader, Tamama it the faithful subbordinate, Giroro is an expert fighter, Kururu is the inventor and genious in the group, the 5th one (I don't know his name) is the mysterious and stealthy.
Luminal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
A great band of heros?

Well I can't think of a cooler band of heros than Neji, Hinata, Rock Lee, Sakura, Ino, Chouji, Shikamaru, Ten Ten, Shino and Naruto!!

These are all very diverse and well developed characters who are a lot of fun to watch.
Lapsus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Lets see... well, I just finished Berserk and it had quite good band of heroes/war buddies/ex-mercenaries Confused Just that it wasnt really old style one hard nut, one magician, one crazy character.. more like one charismatic leader and his resourceful subbordinates, liked it.

Then again, Scrapped Princess was good with its lack of brutal fighting and more psichological issues, yet, Pacificas brother and sister were superb in both protecting and cheering their beloved sister.

I agree to the idea, that diverse characters are neccesary for the audience to find their likable one and connect to the plot and action more easily.
Just that the hard boiled 1st heroe is most often quite dull... it gets me down, does anybody know of Anime where That doesnt apply? Question
jousha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I like the group of "heros"-turned-"villains" in Gungrave; it makes Brandon's fights against them even more tragic.

I would like the Hunter X Hunter group more, but I'm not too much a fan of Kurapica. But then I think their team for the dodgeball match was good overall (Hisoka=amazing).
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I've started reading further in the One Piece manga, and I personally love the Straw Hat crew. They all complement eachother so wonderfully, and each individual character taken on his or her own is great. For me, they have to be the perfect "adventuring band" heroes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
For a great cast of characters I'll go with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses and various levels of cyborg replacement parts. I really like the Major, Batou, and Togusa.

I also like Bleach's large variety of characters a whole lot too.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
AMP Staff from Silent Modius.
Katsumi Liqueur - Controls a living sword called Grosspoliner as well as possessing a great magical potental. Front line Combat.

Rally Cheyenne - Leader of AMP. Leadership.

Kiddy Phenil - The heavy hitter of the group. She's also untidy. Heavy Assualt.

Lebia Maverick - The groups Tech Head. Artilery Support. Especialy considering she can control an lazer satalite.

Nami Yamaigumo - Shinto priestess and look after holy ritauls. She's cleanliness freak. Defencive Tactics.

Yuki Saiko - Ability to see into the future. Public Releations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2