• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
LOL! San Jose Mercury News posts links to bittorent fansubs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Read it for yourself:
[Or don't. You should know better than this. URL removed. -Nagi]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
And you have just violated Teh Rules by linking to a page that links to fansubs... Very Happy
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
What do you expect? It was written by a bunch of high schoolers. Rolling Eyes
AzN_dT_StReEt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey... Ummm as stupid as this must sound, what's a fansubs?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
AzN_dT_StReEt wrote:
Hey... Ummm as stupid as this must sound, what's a fansubs?

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=63
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And you have just violated Teh Rules by linking to a page that links to fansubs... Very Happy

Good point... except that there is NO such rule. I've posted a link to an article from a repected regional newspaper not to a site that hosts such fansubs.

Before you start, I can perfectly see the the logic behind your arguments. However, prior to posting the link I specifically checked "Teh Rules" and this situation (i.e. indirect linking)wasn't covered there. The article itself dealt with many issues other than fansubs and I thought that it might be of interest to anime fans and that was the main reason I posted the link to it.

This is just an explanation of what I was thinking at the time. I didn't mean to anger anyone.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Good point... except that there is NO such rule. I've posted a link to an article from a repected regional newspaper not to a site that hosts such fansubs.

True, indirect linking is not specifically spoken to. It's more of an implied rule. I would think at least some consideration should be given to it being a news article. ANN has itself linked to news articles on the main page which mention major fansub sites by name and URL. On the other hand, the subject of your post must be taken into account as well, which would seem to deal with no aspect of the article beyond the inculsion of links to fansubs.
2Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Yea i have had a few of my posts deleted because they were linked to other site, honestly iI don;t think that should matter, but the best thing to do is just be careful of what you post.

Fansubs are translation for fans, ine by fans. These Fan-subs have been a big debate among anime fans for a while, so i have seen, and it is best to just leave that topic at that. Befor this becomes another debate about fan-subs.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:48 am Reply with quote
I find it funny that they say, "To view anime, try one of the following sites," as if concerned parents could just go to one of the sites, click on some selection, and magically be watching some episode on the Internet right there. Oh yeah, they also say something like, "Bleach, which can only be watched on the Internet," as if everything were somehow up in streaming video, without the necessity of finding a torrent client, figuring out how to use it, and waiting 1-3 hours.

And for the final LOL moment, one site is a general site that doesn't directly contain torrents for any anime, or anything else for that matter unless you know what your'e searching for.

At any rate, the article has the links, but it's certainly not a tutorial on "How to be a hardcore pirate downloader."
dirtyharry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
haha, that's pretty funny. It doesn't really tell you how to become a pirater, but I do find it funny that they were essentially promoting a process that is used primarily for illegal downloading.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
the article minus the links

Quote:
ANIME ATTRACTIONS
ON THE INTERNET AND TV, TEENS FOLLOW FAVORITE CHARACTERS AND SERIES
By Sarah Ho
Read This! Writer

For many teens in the Bay Area, there's never enough anime. They tune in to Japanese animation shows on the Internet and on TV. They draw their own anime and dress up like their favorite characters on occasion. Some even join Japanese language classes. Here are profiles of four popular anime series:

``Naruto''

Though it made its debut on Cartoon Network's ``Toonami'' in September, the animated episodes have been accessible via the Internet since 2000. The popularity of ``Naruto'' has grown since its creation in 1999 by Masashi Kishimoto.

``It teaches life lessons and is super-inspirational and has extreme tragedy that made me almost cry once. And a blend of humor!'' said Justin Shaw, a senior at Lynbrook High School in San Jose.

Synopsis: ``Naruto'' chronicles the passionate, hyperactive teenage ninja Uzumaki Naruto, who strives to become the fourth Hokage, the strongest ninja in the village. Sealed inside his body is Nine-tails Demon Fox, a demon whose character emerges only when Naruto is extremely sad or angry.

``Bleach''

``Bleach'' -- viewable only on the Internet -- has intense sword-fighting scenes and an unpredictable story line.

``It has cliffhangers at the end of most episodes, and you can identify with the characters, which is why it's so popular,'' said Patrick Shyvers, a senior at Cupertino High School.

Synopsis: The evil spirit Hollow attacks 15-year-old Kurosaki Ichigo and his two sisters, but the Shinigami, or death god, Kuchiki Rukia comes to his defense. Rukia gets injured and transfers her powers to Ichigo, who must train to learn the duties of a Shinigami.

``FullMetal Alchemist''

This show gained popularity through viral advertising -- the Internet equivalent of word of mouth.

``Since most animes are watched before they're licensed, they're not advertised anywhere, so really you can only hear about new animes from other people. If it's good, it spreads,'' said Bryant Kou, a senior at Saratoga High School.

Synopsis: Edward and Alphonse Elric lose their mother in childhood and attempt to bring her back using alchemy. They stumble upon curious objects and face moral dilemmas as they learn alchemy.

``One Piece''

``One Piece'' is quirky, ridiculous, strange and wonderful. ``It's absurd and unlike any other anime I've seen,'' said Stephanie Wei, a freshman at Fremont High School in Sunnyvale.

Synopsis: In search of a pirate's loot, 17-year-old pirate Monkey D. Luffy eats a gum-gum fruit, which grants him the power to stretch like rubber. Luffy and his crew struggle to realize their dreams and fight villains.

Where to view anime

Dedicated anime fans watch their favorite shows on the Internet for the convenience and quality. On television, anime has been censored to tone down violence, and voices are dubbed.

``The anime on TV is really bad unless you have Cartoon Network, because the stuff on TV is edited so everything good is taken out,'' said senior Jennie Chen of Cupertino High School. ``People who are true anime fans like watching it online in Japanese with English subtitles.''

``The Internet has made this process very fast. Not only does knowledge of new animes spread quickly, entire animes can be sent to a large amount of people in a relatively short amount of time,'' said senior Bryant Kou of Saratoga High School.

Typically ``fansubbing'' groups in Japan download anime programs, subtitle them in English and upload them to the Internet. Because sometimes it takes years to license anime for the American market, the underground downloading movement continues to make anime available to markets outside Japan.

Anime is usually sent through Web sites such as xxxx. Anime is to Bittorrent as music is to Kazaa. The legality of file-sharing anime that is licensed in Japan but not in the United States is ambiguous. But once the producer exports those programs to a U.S. licensee, users would be violating the license agreement by downloading it from the Internet.

To view anime, try these Web sites:

ironic how almost all the shows mentioned are licsened
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I have almost always found that it is not the same, watching an anime in english as compared to a subbed episode. Naruto, for instance, has been chopped in many places in both the liscenced english anime and manga. I am not supporting pirating here, but sometimes it is the only way to watch an anime as it was intended. Thank goodness that most DVD's give you the option of watching an episode with subtitles (most fan subs that I have seen have made me wonder whether the people have a limited knowledge of English or Japanese; *screams* "Are you painful?!"- Hellsing fansub). But with some DVD's, and almost always with the manga, you are stuck with the stupid edited english version where you kinda have to wonder who the hell the companies were editing for.
As said before, fansubs promote, but they can also ruin an experience. But so can the 'real' version. Maybe if more anime were liscenced and they did a better job of translating we would have less pirates out there. Meh... That is just my piece.
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But with some DVD's, and almost always with the manga, you are stuck with the stupid edited english version where you kinda have to wonder who the hell the companies were editing for.

U.S. anime distributors have been doing that for a long time; since the days of "Gigantor" and "Astro Boy". I'm guessing it's because U.S. anime distributors like to add their own "creative" input. So they rewrite the scripts and turn the show into something that will supposedly appeal to Americans. I've seen this happen all the time to shows like DBZ, Voltron, G-Force/Battle Of The Planets. I don't usually watch shows that are as popular as Naruto because the companies tend to chop those to bits. The not-so-popular shows like Cowboy Bebop or Samurai 7 are left alone. The unpopular ones? you'll never see those shows unless download them. That's how I see it.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
``People who are true anime fans like watching it online in Japanese with English subtitles.''

um...wouldn't the "true" anime fans be the ones who buy the anime? Then you get it in japanese, with english subtitles (done by an actual professional), unedited, all the while supporting the studio it came from
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
x_ekibyougami_x wrote:
(most fan subs that I have seen have made me wonder whether the people have a limited knowledge of English or Japanese; *screams* "Are you painful?!"- Hellsing fansub).

Are you sure that wasn't a bootleg? Fansubs have their share of errors, but most are reasonably competent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2