• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need help... [anime recommendations]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
I need help on growing a good base of knowledge on animes. I'm new to the scene and enjoy this genre. Does someone got recommendations on what to start off with? My favorite series are: Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Fooly Cooly, and Samurai Champloo. I seem to not be able to find any animes that spark my interest and don't want to take chances on buying a horrible DVD... Base from my favorites what do you recommend?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
Read through this thread about people's favorites. . .it should give you some ideas as to what shows are considered good/bad. Also, check online at other sites like animeondvd.com for reviews and other opinions about the shows. If you find some genres that you like, you can identify other shows in those same genres and make your buying decisions from there.

One that you can find fairly cheap on DVD is Martian Successor Nadesico -- it's a space-based comedy on the lines of Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, with a nice mix of action and romance in there too.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Takai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
Is the Naruto New Year's Eve marathon all the episodes shown on air as of now? Because I want to catch up.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I believe the marathon will be airing all the episodes of Naruto so far. Check out the Top 10/50 anime by clicking encyclopedia on the left. I don't know what anime you have seen, so I can't really give too many suggestions...
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
My suggestion is buying manga that have anime because manga is fairly cheap ($10 90% of the time) unless you get the ones with games or samplers laminated within em.

For instance i read the love hina manga first and truly enjoyed it and then i got the first few episodes of the anime which drained my pockets. So hey whatever floats ya boat bruh.

Read Love Hina, Watch Love Hina, Breath Love Hina, Shower Love Hina, Eat Love Hina, Have your life support system attached to Love Hina, Retire with Love Hina, DIe with Love Hina. You can buy it too i guess...
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
A Netflix DVD rental account is a good way to sample a wide veriety of anime series for very little money. They have a very large array of anime titles to select from, and if you find a series you like you can work your way through it.

Some personal favorites of mine:

Dual - Parallel worlds, girls & giant robots. Short series but fun.

Irresponsible Capt. Tylor - Star Wars meets MASH. Engaging military comedy-drama.

Gundam 0080 -- Short giant-robot action series whose ending will be unexpected. (^_*)
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
If you like Ghost in the Shell, I recommend you to give a try to Parasite Dolls: it is set in the same universe than Bubblegum Crisis 2040 whose it is a spin-off but much darker and mature, also it's available as a 1 DVD edition because there's only 3 episodes which tell a complete story
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Takai wrote:
Is the Naruto New Year's Eve marathon all the episodes shown on air as of now? Because I want to catch up.

Yes, looks like all of them from the beginning. Good chance to catch up Smile

If you liked Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I recommend you go back and watch the first movie that sparked it all. Animation style much different from what you're used to from the series, but great for its time Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1