• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inconclusive endings vs. Bad endings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
Which do you think is better? Inconclusive endings or bad endings?

i really have trouble deciding, because they both leave a bad taste in my mouth

inconclusive endings really annoy me because they don't show the "ending" but they are good in the way that they let others interpret what they think... (i.e. evangelion, haibane renmei)

also it annoys me when there is still more content to go with if the manga is continuing. (i.e. kare kano, fruits basket)

And sometimes stopping right in the middle of nowhere (i.e. Flame of Recca, Yamato GEnsouki)

and doens't accomplish the goal in the first place (ranma 1/2)

however, bad endings

leave no room for "other endings"

but it gives closure to a story
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:10 am Reply with quote
I think "bad endings" are far worse. Giving closure to the story and still being bad really doesn't really give it anything good going for it. Inconclusive endings are open and left for interpretation. I'm one of the people who aren't annoyed by this. I'd rather them not go on and be given the possibility to ruin it. Even if I could be good, it's better than it being bad with no room for improvement IMO.
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
In my opinion an inconclusive ending is better than a bad ending.

The thought of there being a sequel, OVA or the story continuing by manga is much better than a good anime ending in a miserable way (Inu Yasha, Rurouni kenshin, any other anime that i've not seen and can be included).

BTW, is there a sequel to Get Backers?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I think "bad endings" are far worse. Giving closure to the story and still being bad really doesn't really give it anything good going for it. Inconclusive endings are open and left for interpretation. I'm one of the people who aren't annoyed by this. I'd rather them not go on and be given the possibility to ruin it. Even if I could be good, it's better than it being bad with no room for improvement IMO.

Haha, lucky!

i always get annoyed because i impatiently waiting to see what happens at the end, and i end up getting disapointed
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
I defintely like inconclusive endings over bad endings. The thing with 'bad' endings is that not everyone may think they are bad. However inconclusive endings are inconclusive...probably most of the time, to everyone. I like inconclusive ones because they usually let me imagine my own continuation of the story, or they make me think. It depends on how it ends...

In Gantz and Evangelion I liked the endings because they got me thinking. In Inuyasha, I hated it because it didn't really make me think...it was just spoiler[and now we'll continue our journey! (THE END!)] Even though it continues into the manga...I haven't read it. Nevertheless it bothered me. Flame of Recca was kind of on the same level as Inuyasha as in a lot of things were not accomplished at the ending, and it was very abrupt. GTO ending also came very suddenly. I didn't think they were bad endings, although they were inconclusive.

However bad endings always depend on the person. For example: I loved Berserk, until the ending...I hated the ending. My friend who recommended it to be loved the ending. So it really depends. Some people hate the ending to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, but I loved it.

So bad endings depend on the person, but good inconclusive ones allow the viewer to think.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:18 am Reply with quote
Generally "bad" endings are ones that aren't "happy dappy storybook" ones
Silenthillnight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
I would personally put the Gantz one under Bad Ending as opposed to a non-conclusive ending. In the Anime, Kei just disappears after the train comes by and the gantz room becomes empty. That gave me more of a "well it's over" than a "what happens next" kind of feeling. It's a shame they went with manga to a point then went on an arc to conclude it. I believe the best part of the manga was just beginning from that point.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
Evangelion (TV) is an example of a bad ending. You can't just say that it's "inconclusive", because if an ending is inconclusive it should at least have some higher level of artistic value and entertainment. The TV ending of EVA doesn't (and before you go on and say "You just don't understand it!" I'll just let you know that I do understand it and that I disliked what at least I thought the ending was trying to say). Why anyone would like this eludes me.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
The reason I enjoyed the Gantz ending so much is because I just found myself thinking so many things after it ended. If it had ended happily I probably would have been annoyed. I guess maybe I got into it so much that I was going to have biased thoughts, no matter what the ending was.

I didn't really like the ending to Evangelion (the series or the movie). I wouldn't say it's conclusive because I think it let's the viewer imagine several different situations. However, I don't like the way they proceded with this. The feeling for the ending in the series was dull and repetative. The one in the show, although I liked it better I still didn't really like it...(I guess that's hard to say.) They went on a completely different level with this, and I think it went off on a tangent from the actual tv series. Perhaps it's hard to explain from my own taste, but it was too 'different' from the feel I got from the series. And the tv ending was too dull and, therefore, also very different from the feel of the series.

I beleive it's inconclusive because it let's the viewer imagine different possibilities. I suppose, in my own opinion (since everyone has their own tastes...) it's a bad inconclusive ending. Crying or Very sad
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Well, let's see....bad endings leave a sour taste in your mouth when it's over and it makes you not want to see any future episodes of that anime produced anymore. However, incomplete endings have too many unanswered questions and leave you just hanging there, wanting to see more of something that isn't ever going to happen, so inconclusive endings are basically bad endings themselves. I guess if I had to choose, I would say I prefer bad endings because even if the ending is bad, at least it has one and you can feel complete when you watch it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1