• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion Plat. Box Set,was it worth it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well,yeah yesterday I pick it up. I guess it just goes for my prefrence. but ADV Extras? Commentary? eh.. not so cool. then the Myth. of Eva. gone. but now most the stuff that was on those DvDs is on ADV's Eva site so. to me Worth my Money.? sure. and I kinda love those Slip Cases! the Director's Cut Episodes,were good to have on there as well. figured ADV would take those off. .. but anyone else thought it was good to get?
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
i saw it yesterday too it was 46.99 and i wanna know if it was good or not Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
... I'm actually confused as to what the question is...

Are we talking about the new THINPAK or something else?
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
... I'm actually confused as to what the question is...

Are we talking about the new THINPAK or something else?

yes. the THINPAK
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
And what you bought is... ?
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
uh.. the Thinpak
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
OKAY, sorry, it was just a little weird at first...

ANYWAY, I didn't own the original stuff, so I liked the thinpak on the basis of how cheap it was...

I watch dubs, but I wouldn't necessarily miss commentary and stuff *hell, I haven't even listened to the commentary in the second movie*

... although, I do want to hear SPIKE SPENCER wigging out after recording the last TV episode.

Anyway, it was worth the money, if you ask me... especially since, like you said, most of the stuff can be found on the ADV site...

can I have a link? Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
When I heard that the Thinpa would be on 6 discs (less than the original release and thus without extras) I decided to go all-out and get the single discs and Vol. 1 + Box instead. After all, I already had (not-so-legal) copies of the original 8-disc release, and I figured that if I was going to repurchase the series, that I wanted the cool packaging, booklets, and disc extras that came with Platinum. I haven't watched it all yet, but it does look pretty cool overall.

Okay, I guess I can't say "re"purchase, but that was the idea.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
I think it is really worth re-buying Eva, especially at the thinpak price. This does mean that some of us now have 4 coppies of episode 20-24 since both versions are in the thinpak. The 5.1 is really well done, and the image is amazing. The thinpak doesn't have the commentary, and doesn't have the extra languages found on the original release (I believe the original DVDs had French and Spanish, but can't remember at the moment) but they are worth your money.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
It goes back to what's been said about ADV's thinpack sets. Basically, "you get what you pay for". Shell out $30 x 7 ($210!) and you get all of Evangelion Platinum in their original slipcases and with all the extras. Pay $45, get all the series episodes and Director's cut episodes, but get little to no extras in exchange. Confused

Trust me, though, you're missing out on very little. The commentaries were okay (Tiffany and Matt's two commentaries were the best IMHO), the animatics weren't all that great (except for the animatic to "Episode 25" on DVD 7, which is actually the animatic for "Air" from End of Evangelion Shocked ), and the Myth of Evangelion was interesting, but not so much that I'd watch it again (and Sean McCoy, the "Evangelion Lecturer" ... anyone still know how you get that job? I wouldn't mind being a "Cowboy Bebop" Lecturer, myself. Razz )
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
To be quite honest I not going rebuy, I was just thinking last night. Whats the Fun,and point of Evangelion,when some trys to explain it to you? The real point of Eva is to make you think! make you question reality!(or for Crazy Eva freaks anyway...) I might go buy the 7th Plat. Vol. just for the soul purpuse of Spike Spencer's Secret ending... LMAO!

Now the Bebop Remix DvDs.. Now those are a soul buy for anyone! Do it Go buy Them!... Now!
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
OKAY, sorry, it was just a little weird at first...

ANYWAY, I didn't own the original stuff, so I liked the thinpak on the basis of how cheap it was...

I watch dubs, but I wouldn't necessarily miss commentary and stuff *hell, I haven't even listened to the commentary in the second movie*

... although, I do want to hear SPIKE SPENCER wigging out after recording the last TV episode.

Anyway, it was worth the money, if you ask me... especially since, like you said, most of the stuff can be found on the ADV site...

can I have a link? Razz

oh and uhh... here ya' goes! Anime smile http://www.advfilms.com/titles/evangelion
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
It goes back to what's been said about ADV's thinpack sets. Basically, "you get what you pay for". Shell out $30 x 7 ($210!) and you get all of Evangelion Platinum in their original slipcases and with all the extras. Pay $45, get all the series episodes and Director's cut episodes, but get little to no extras in exchange. Confused

It wasn't quite $210, as I didn't buy the Platinum as they came out. . .I bought them a couple months ago, and picked up most of the volumes for around $20, one volume at Best Buy for $12, and Vol. 1 + Box for $27 off Amazon, so it was about $140-$150--not too bad for 26 eps + director's cut + disc extras + booklets + a very lovely series box. This is a little different from an average series like Angelic Layer when the only major losses in buying the Thinpak are commentaries and liner notes that give spoilers in character profiles Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: If you're looking to buy Evangelion for the first time, then the Platinum Thinpak is definitely worth it--there are no major extras to be missed in the first DVD release.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Actually I was wondering. I had seen the first 9 eps. on VHS 4 years ago and I heard there was added dialogue on the Platinum version. Is it really worth it over the old DVD version?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Actually I was wondering. I had seen the first 9 eps. on VHS 4 years ago and I heard there was added dialogue on the Platinum version. Is it really worth it over the old DVD version?

Yes. Good lord yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3