• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach licensing question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmarelord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I know that Vis owns the rights to the manga, but I have one question. Will Vis release the anime or will some other company like Funi or Geneon release it?

I feel that Bleach can do well stateside. I also see Bleach as a potential Adult Swim title.

Your thoughts?
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
You're right, Bleach is a potential cash cow and could easily become as big, if not bigger, than Naruto (which blew up once the anime hit stateside) the problem is that I doubt Viz would give up such a promising licence to another company, given that they have first dibs on licencing the anime, and as much as I hate to say this, the anime probably wouldn't be on Adult Swim, since that would only limit the audience that it could potentially draw in
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe having the manga given Viz automatic first refusal on the anime so until there's an announcement it could be anyone. When first saw Bleach I automatically though FUNimation, although they are going into unusual territory these days with series like Kodocha and Tsubasa so who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nightmarelord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
But, isn't Funi a sister company to Vis?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Viz and Funimation are not at all related. If I'm not mistaken, it's Viz's Japanese parent company that owns the rights to shows like Naruto and Bleach, so it's more profitable to keep it within the company rather than to license it outside to someone else.
S_C_L-1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
You're right, Bleach is a potential cash cow and could easily become as big, if not bigger, than Naruto (which blew up once the anime hit stateside) the problem is that I doubt Viz would give up such a promising licence to another company, given that they have first dibs on licencing the anime, and as much as I hate to say this, the anime probably wouldn't be on Adult Swim, since that would only limit the audience that it could potentially draw in

Unfortunately, unless it plays later during the day (mostly during weekends), they would have to give it a major "facelift"... very few animes (like ghost in the shell) can make it to the states/canada without beeing horribly butchered by censures and dubs...

Wouldnt it be great if there was an american (continent, not country) channel that played anime in japanese with eng. subs? they could release the episodes within a very short delay (or even at the same time) and save money! (dubbing costs ALOT!)

Not to mention how happy all the western Otakus would be Razz
Asuka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
The cost of dubbing something is a very small amount compared to the fees to license the material. And if you want Japanese audio with subtitles, buy the DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1