• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam rocks...what now ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qvalster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
I have seen Robotech, Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, GSD and i have started to see G Gundam, but the story doesnt seem to be as good in Robotech or Gundam SEED...
My first Mecha serie i watched was Robotech and i just fall in love with it in like 2episodes... And its from that way i have started to love mecha..
But now when i have watched GSD, the ending sucks but i have to know whats happend after this... And i know theres going to come another Serie, but i cant wait! so i hope someone of you can give me some tips to a good anime serie to watch... And please let it be Mecha or Martal Arts Smile
Thats the best things i like in anime, and the story have to be good to Smile

I gonna be done with G Gundam soon, will just take a day or 2, and after that i gonna be without anime :'( so i hope you guys can give me some tips
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:23 am Reply with quote
I've been watching some of Nadesico--it's not pure mecha, but it's a lot of space fighting / sci-fi action with some comedy/romance thrown in there. Quite funny.

Also check out the Full Metal Panic series (search for posts of it in the forum); it's a popular recent show with a mix of mecha and high school comedy / etchi. If romance/comedy isn't your thing, then avoid the second season, "Fumoffu"; the third season, "The Second Raid" is the most serious.

If you don't mind mecha shows that make you think, Neon Genesis: Evangelion and RahXephon combine mecha battles with all kinds of religion/philosophy/psychology for a very weird total experience.

(If you couldn't tell, I prefer genre-mixing shows as opposed to more purely mecha shows like Gundam.)

For martial arts, everybody who's anybody loves Naruto Razz ; its 162+ episodes with no end in sight will keep you occupied for a long time. Also check out Bleach; more of swordplay than martial arts, but it has 61+ episodes of action/comedy goodness, super-charged attacks, all in all sort of less DBZ than DBZ, if you catch my meaning.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Nadesico, like Zalis said it's not too heavy on the mecha but it's still a great show. It has fun characters and also throws in some good drama. In a way it's a jack of all trades kind of show, you get a little bit of everything. As far as some other suggestions, well since you seem to be enjoying what you've seen of AU, you could also try out Gundam X (with the exception of this board it doesn't get as much love as it deserves) as well as the entire Universal Century of Gundam (adding up all of the episodes from each series will definitley last you a long time). And then there's Turn A but I wouldn't watch it unless you've seen up to ZZ at least.

As far as other mecha shows, I don't know how much you would care for old school mecha. But for the sake of suggesting it, you could check out the new Gaiking anime. It's very well animated and brings back the old school super robot flair that a lot of mecha shows are missing nowadays. Also for fun you can check out Mazinkaiser, it's short but A. Mazinger's left his mark in anime history as being the first giant super robot (being the first super or giant robot is somewhat debatable due to Astro Boy and Gigantor/Tetsujin 28) and B. Go Nagai has a thing for being very over the top, so the action in this series as well as his others (such as Getter Robo) is very fast paced and over the top. Put it this way, if it's on Mazinkaiser's body, then it's probably a weapon in some form or another. I'm also enjoying GEAR Fighter Dendoh, it's a little on the kiddy side but Dendoh is a very gimmicky robot (with the whole data weapon angle) and the show is just well done although it does get a little heavy with repeated animation. Two other shows that I'm also about sink my teeth in that are in the mecha genre that show promise are Tekkaman Blade and GaoGaiGar. Anyway, all of those shows oughta keep you busy for a long time if you're into the mecha genre.
nightmarelord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I strongly suggest the UC Gundams. Just don't get the 0079 movie 3 pack. They cut out a lot of stuff. 0079 series was good, 0080 was alright, 0083 was fantastic, my fav one. After that watch Char's Counterattack. Then Z, ZZ, and Victory.

More good mech anime is Evangelion, Full Metal Painc!, FMP The Second Raid, Big O, and The Macross Movies and Macross Plus.

Happy watching.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Char's Counterattack takes place after Zeta and ZZ: it may be better to watch these two before...

Qvalster, if you want some cool mecha action, take Blue Gender: its setting's very similar to Robotech: The New Generation but with nowaday animation and a deeper plot

Bubblegum Crisis' also well packed with great action sequences and some awesome designs

Otherwise, Detonator Orgun is a must see for all mecha lovers: it presents an unusual storyline with very good mecha designs and combat scenes

Do not miss Gunbuster either: it's a 'classic' of the mecha shows and a nice wink to the 'super robot' genre

Finally Zone of the Enders: Dolores, i is probably one of the funniest mecha series I've ever seen. If you like action shows without too much 'thoughts' but with original characters/plots, you'll not be disappointed by this one
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1