• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
drawing is good =)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohxjason

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
before someone posted about a friend that got teased for the anime srawing book! Those bastards! i wanna learn how to draw better!

any suggestions on what book to get? =)
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I suggest searching for sites with good drawing tutorials. As well, it is best to have your own drawing style because if you keep drawing other people's pictures that they have produced, it just won't be as good as an original, y'know? Usually, when I draw, I tend to start of with a stick figure, and then add the body, face, hair, clothing, etc... it takes tons of practice and I've been drawing since I was in 3rd grade, and right now I'm in tenth. You don't know how many years of frustration I suffered Anime dazed.

But, I guess you could check out the How to Draw Manga books. There is a great selection of them.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
err.. i was that someone...

well, sometimes drawing books helps,

but i've seen some drawing books where i thought the style didn't look so.. err.. nice

practice is the only thing that helped me

i also try looking at manga and try to copy, and incorporating diffrent styles and try to get a unique style

for me at least... i have trouble copying, so i just relax and just draw what ever comes naturally
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
But, I guess you could check out the How to Draw Manga books. There is a great selection of them.

I would suggest against that, actually. Those are a fast track to mediocrity and really only teach you how to do bad fanart at the most. My advice is to avoid copying, mimicking, or generally concentrating on anime style in the beginning, and learning to draw properly, instead. Seek out books and tutorials on perspective, still life, human & animal anatomy, and mechanical/architectural drawing first, develop your own style through legitimate lessons, and then if you still really feel it's necessary, begin going for the anime aesthetic. It's a longer, probably less exciting route, but it will breed the very best results, and your work won't look like every other crappy piece of DeviantArt fodder conceived by every other lame anime fanboy who actually bought into those awful "DRAW MANJUH HURHUR" books.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's going to take time. Buying books-wasting money on a stack of books- is not going to help you. For starters, I would recommend the "More : How to Draw Manga volume on" (green themed cover). I found it in my library, and it sort of helped. I think that if you were to buy them, they wouldn't help that much. Looking at various manga nd developing you own style will ultimately get you the most progress and originality. Maybe go to the library or bookstore and flipping through them might point you in the right direction, but you might as well use the $20 to pay forart lessons or something.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I would suggest against that, actually. Those are a fast track to mediocrity and really only teach you how to do bad fanart at the most. My advice is to avoid copying, mimicking, or generally concentrating on anime style in the beginning, and learning to draw properly, instead. Seek out books and tutorials on perspective, still life, human & animal anatomy, and mechanical/architectural drawing first, develop your own style through legitimate lessons, and then if you still really feel it's necessary, begin going for the anime aesthetic. It's a longer, probably less exciting route, but it will breed the very best results, and your work won't look like every other crappy piece of DeviantArt fodder conceived by every other lame anime fanboy who actually bought into those awful "DRAW MANJUH HURHUR" books.

I also agree as well, and yes, against my own comment. Anyway, the reason I suggested the How to Draw Manga books wasn't because of copying the pictures from the book (heck, I never copy pictures or poses from them, I often just model in front of a mirror myself) but to show how to do wrinkles in clothing, or different poses starting from stick-figures, to cylinders, blocks, you get the idea. I only got the very first volume of those books a long time ago, like... four years or five, but anywho, it really meant nothing for me then. Now that I go through it, it has some great information on how to create manga pages and what ink pens to use.

I highly suggest against copying, it annoys me. I never copied pictures when I was younger because I always wanted to make everything myself. Now, I just never do. If I do, it's only to see what clothing is on a certain anime character so I can draw some fanart. Personally, I find drawing anime to be a lot of fun, but drawing real life is also a great way to improve your drawing skills more and more, so people know that you can draw much more than one style.

I totally agree with Nagisa, if all you can do is copy pictures, I would try practicing else wise.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
i agree too, but even thought i said "copy" in my earlier post, i didn't mean copy an exact picture, i meant copy as in little things like porportions, how clothes fold, and little things like that

by looking at manga (not the drawing books) i can get a better idea of how things are composed,etc.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i agree too, but even thought i said "copy" in my earlier post, i didn't mean copy an exact picture, i meant copy as in little things like porportions, how clothes fold, and little things like that

by looking at manga (not the drawing books) i can get a better idea of how things are composed,etc.

X3 understandable, I had to use online tutorials as reference for wrinkles as well. So, you definately aren't the only one.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i agree too, but even thought i said "copy" in my earlier post, i didn't mean copy an exact picture, i meant copy as in little things like porportions, how clothes fold, and little things like that.

Even so, it's better to learn all of those things by drawing from life. It's the same reason oil painters are told to paint real models instead of from photographs; drawing/painting from life is the absolute best way to train your eye, whether you're attempting to master light, color, form, proportion, or anything else. Also, it's best to learn what a real human form looks like before you attempt to stylize it (a la anime or any other art style you wish to pursue).

ohxjason, if you're going to invest in anything, invest in a life drawing class instead of a book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
i agree too, but even thought i said "copy" in my earlier post, i didn't mean copy an exact picture, i meant copy as in little things like porportions, how clothes fold, and little things like that.

Even so, it's better to learn all of those things by drawing from life. It's the same reason oil painters are told to paint real models instead of from photographs; drawing/painting from life is the absolute best way to train your eye, whether you're attempting to master light, color, form, proportion, or anything else. Also, it's best to learn what a real human form looks like before you attempt to stylize it (a la anime or any other art style you wish to pursue).

ohxjason, if you're going to invest in anything, invest in a life drawing class instead of a book.

true true, i use human models often (but my drawins suck anyways), but normally that's because i don't have any referances in my reach at the moment

also copying from 2-d picture can't give you depth and different perpectives if you're trying to draw from a different angle
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
There is a website right now called bakaneko.com that used to have anime drawing tutorials on it. But, I think the site is down at the moment. Otherwise, is you want to do computer art,http://www.good-tutorials.com is the bible for lerning photoshop, illustrator, etc for free. And, I think there are a few anime drwing tuts on it. hope it helps.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
get some drawing books first or take a couple classes in college before try buy a anime drawing book. it helps alot. Unless your also very good at drawing and know all the techniques(measuring, Shadow, Proportion and Perspective, ect)
xiaopingguo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend checking out Mangaacademy.com's tutorials. They give a few points on how to draw stuff like hair, and some of the advice is really helpful. (how to do shines, hair styles, etc) If you want to work on poses, they have those wooden dummies for drawing at various stores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1