• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ questions:

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:37 am Reply with quote
So I've been watching Blood+. First anime I've seen in a while that I can say that I'm pretty much addicted to... But I have a few questions: (I've seen Blood: THe Last Vampire as well)

Are we supposed to know much about saya's past...? the movie/ova did a very poor job explaining this...

Is there a manga counterpart to this series? I'm pretty curious about a lot of the minor details... and I'm worried that I missed something about her history or the history of the demons or just some details about the science of the bloods...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
I assume she's supposed to be mysterious, perhaps with information drizzled out over the course of the series. I'm unaware of anything other than the show and the original movie.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:37 am Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:
Are we supposed to know much about saya's past...? the movie/ova did a very poor job explaining this...

The film wasn't really meant to explain it, either. The film was only a small part of a much larger multimedia telling of the story, which was done primarily over novels, PS2 games, and some manga. Until only recently, all we got of that experience was the film and Blood 2002 manga, which put us at a pretty big disadvantage, as we still lacked the real meat of the story.

Nirvana wrote:
Is there a manga counterpart to this series? I'm pretty curious about a lot of the minor details... and I'm worried that I missed something about her history or the history of the demons or just some details about the science of the bloods...

Well, there is and there isn't. When I read the Blood 2002 manga, I became extremely excited at the possibility of this series tying into the manga somehow. But by episode 2, there were already so many contradictory plot elements thrown in that such became impossible (and for that matter, I wouldn't consider the film connected to Blood+ either, if for no other reason than the David characters in each one). However, there is a Blood+-specific manga due out sometime in the future, if I remember correctly, which will definitely tie in to the TV series.

Basically, I wouldn't take Blood+ as connected to prior Blood incarnations if I were you. Too many contradictions already render some of the previously-established material moot, so my advice is to just take Blood+ as a new rendition entirely and enjoy it on that level. There are going to be 52 episodes total, so you're bound to get that backstory eventually if you just stick around for the inevitable "past secrets revealed" plot twists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
There are going to be 52 episodes total, so you're bound to get that backstory eventually if you just stick around for the inevitable "past secrets revealed" plot twists.

Ehh, I'm sticking around for everything. This series looks very promising! Thanks for your answers!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure there's any connection between the OVA and the series other than some characters and basic plot elements, seeing as how for one thing the series is set in the present day. The OVA gave the impression that Saya spoiler[is a 'real' vampire as she is referred to as the 'last remaining original'] however the novel based on the OVA stated that Saya spoiler[was a human/chiropterean hybrid created by humans as a weapon] and I recall that one line in the TV series seemed to inidicate that this was the case here too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1