• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which is more important to you...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Continued: ...when it comes time for you to choose between two "quality" animes: Number of episode on a volume or continuing the story???

If I'm honest, I'd have to go with the first. I do not know how many times the adv three episoide game has drove me up the wall.

Perhaps, this is where much of my dislike for Ful metal Panic comes from. (honestly, in vol. 4 ,when the 3 epsode thing began, it just seemed like two worthless fillers and one worth $10 by itself at best.)

P.S. Do not lump the question and my opnion into the same mold. In short, if you like vol. 4 of Panic then more power to you. Sadly, I thought my mind had left me after how totally it ruined the series for me. However, with Fummofu came great redemption for the panic name, thus, I am looking forward to Second Raid.

Last edited by masterzephyr on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Not totally sure how to respond to the first post so here goes...I would have to say between number of episodes and plot I would choose plot. This is because shows that have too many episodes drag quite abit and you can miss a couple episodes and still know what has gone on. I prefer plot because if it is a well thought out and wonderfully written one then the number of episodes shouldn't matter so long as the plot is good. I personally think that is what makes a show. I hate the shows that are built on sex or hentai or too much fan service.
masterzephyr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
But, what if they are both to your tastes? What then?
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh ok I see what you mean. Ok here goes:

Here are two qualities that I prefer: Character design and plot.

I love characters that are wonderfully illustrated. It gives them a more intense feel. I think that unless the character design matches the personality the character just doesn't work.

However I prefer plot because an anime can still be great if the animation sucks so long as the plot is good. A plot is as I said earlier, the essence of the show. After all that is what sells us the anime. The DVDs always share the story with us before we buy it.
afnj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
this is why I rent most of my anime. Number of episodes per disc is more important to me, than story. No way am I going to buy a 24-ep anime when each disc only has 3 eps on it. If the reviews are great and it's the talk of the town, I'll throw it on my netflix list so i wont miss out on something great. I have bought Blue Seed and Those Who Hunt Elves, two animes that are not unforgetable classics but they pack with a whopping 6 eps per disc and I find the story is enjoyable. Shorter animes are a little different. I'll probly buy Fooly Cooly and Elfen Lied despite thier low eps per disc ratio but they are short and two great animes than I would love to own. But rent first is a must because I find few anime worth more than $5 and episode.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Episodes per volume to be honest. I would rather start a new series that has more episodes on the discs then continueing a storyline with something else that has less episodes. My logic behind it is that well I'm getting something with more items and probably like the story and plot,etc with this anime just as much as the one with less episodes. And I know I'm going to finisht he storyline for the ones with less episodes eventually why not get it when there's a sale or discount. (That's if the prices on eboth anime were the same).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
When I decide that I'm going to purchase a series, the per-disc episode count doesn't factor into my decision at all. At least, it hasn't so far. Since most 26 episode series will be on eight discs at the abolute maximum (Gantz is an exception as ADV was trying a different price as well), I don't think the episode count will be a concern of mine at all in the near future.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
When I decide that I'm going to purchase a series, the per-disc episode count doesn't factor into my decision at all. At least, it hasn't so far. Since most 26 episode series will be on eight discs at the abolute maximum (Gantz is an exception as ADV was trying a different price as well), I don't think the episode count will be a concern of mine at all in the near future.

Well lets say you had to choose between different shows then would it factor in? Because that's what I Assumed we were talking about. Because like I said above if both shows are great or if i'm in the middle of a show I'll switch to the one with more episodes on it then come back to the other show when there's a sale or discount or when I'm finished with this series that had more episodes (and for the same price mind you.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't factor in for me unless the episode count was ridiculous. I'm not too fond of 3 per disc but it's tolerable, go down to 2 like a few have done and it better be discounted. If I was choosing I'd either eventually get them both anyways or I would do a bit more looking into them to figure out which one would interest me the most. Either way, I wouldn't make my decision based on episode counts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Well lets say you had to choose between different shows then would it factor in? Because that's what I Assumed we were talking about. Because like I said above if both shows are great or if i'm in the middle of a show I'll switch to the one with more episodes on it then come back to the other show when there's a sale or discount or when I'm finished with this series that had more episodes (and for the same price mind you.).

If I decided that I wanted both shows, then I would just go with whichever I would want more at the given moment, assuming that the DVDs are equally priced wherever I might choose to purchase them. That's also assuming that I'm not buying the whole series all at once.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
ADV isn't the only company guilty of these practices, so it's not fair to single them out. (However, most examples I can think of for 24 eps on more than 6 discs come from ADV.) Viz: Ayashi no Ceres, 24 eps 8 discs. Funimation: Kiddy Grade 24 eps 8 discs. Bandai: Escaflowne 26/8 (not so bad). In addition, most series with 12-13 on 4 discs, from any company, are just as bad, since most 24-26 ep series are on fewer than 8 discs. It's all in the math.

I do prefer lower disc count with more episodes per disc, as it's cheaper and saves space. However, if there are good extras, I can be forgiving and go for more discs. (If it's 3 eps and minimal extras, that's when I feel fleeced.) And, if I really like a series, it doesn't matter; I'd buy the Scrapped Princess DVDs whether it was 4,5,6,7, or 8 discs. (But not 3 Twisted Evil ) And I'll admit, there have been times when I've decided to buy series X and download series Y based on eps per disc. I know that not every series can be a dual layer extravaganza like Kare Kano or Fruits Basket where we get 5-7 eps per disc, tons of extras, and a low disc count. But, if they'd keep it to at least 4, I think fans would be satisfied. Most of them, anyway.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Are you aking whether I would continue a series regrdless of episode number per disk?

If so, then to me, I'll continue regardless of three episodes per disk. When I choose to start collecting an anime, I always make sure that I'll be getting the whole thing. While I usually buy whole series at once (especially now that ADV has released thinpaks), if I decide to get indidvidual volumes, they're usually already released for a while. It's sort of strange how I do my calculating. I caculate price per series, not by disk. So if DDD is selling one volume at ten and another at $20, then it's still a good deal. I guess I don't really look at the episode count per disk as much as I look at price per series.

I can definitely agree that ADV's three episodes per disk is annoying. I know some have five in the first disk and then three in the next few, I'd like them to put four. I don't get why Strawberry Eggs is spread out between four DVDs. There's no point. Well, not in the buyer's perspective anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1