• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good long anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Hi:

I am new to this forum and I have been searching for a thread like this and i hadn't found it so i made one.
I am looking for anime that has at least 32 episodes or more, the genre could be action/fantasy/romance, so I wanted to know some suggestions.
The ones i had already seen are:
gundam, almost all series
bleach, watching it
naruto, same
inuyasha
and some others i dont remember

thanks
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. a long series eh. Well the first that come to mind is Fullmetal Alchemist and Twelve Kingdoms. Both 50 episodes in length. I am sure you have already heard about Fullmetal Alchemist (If not, are you crazy?). I have only caught the first two episodes of Twelve Kingdoms but it reminds me a lot of Escaflowne, at least in the beginning. It also has gotten many good reviews (Including on this site, if you want to check it out). Its also just been released in two thinpack collections (25 eps on each) at the very expensive price of $80 each.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
If you liked Inuyasha, try Ranma 1/2. It's by the same creator but is a little different. much less polt driven, by very funny. It runs seven seasons, an oav series, and three movies.
lonrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry i forgot to mention full metal alchemist (that by the way is really good)
And about twelve kingdoms i start watching it but I really didn't like it, it was just too slow for me.
Ranma 1/2 i like it at the beginning but in the middle it was all about the same so it was kinda boring.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
How about Ghost in the Shell SAC (Stand alone complex) although there are two different season, if you were to combine them together you would have 52 episode to watch. ANN Ghost in the Shell:SAC I check that out, good mix of action beautifully art and a little soul searching (Ghost searching hehe) in this one makes it a good choice. Hope you enjoy, try monster if your really desperate I think it's the best anime ever but it's not action. Rather it relies on suspense and good plot twist and writing to establish its tone.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The pacing on Twelve Kingdoms is more like that of an epic novel or series of novels (fitting, in my mind, since it's based on a series of novels), so it moves more slowly than a lot of the series coming out lately. I don't mind the pacing, but I know that it can be frustrating to some people.

You might want to check out Fushigi Yugi. It ran for 52 episodes and it definitely has the fantasy/romance elements, plus a fair amount of action as well.

Slayers might be another series you'd want to try. There are three seasons to the anime, each 26 episodes long. The story tends to have a lot of comedy, but the overall story is fairly serious.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Why 32+ episodes? Was there some 31-episode show that you felt was disappointingly short? Lol, just poking a little fun since 32 isn't a typical series length. (I guess this barely excludes Wolf's Rain, although WR is essentially 26 episodes; you know what I mean Evil or Very Mad.) A few more recommendations:

First, does the genre have to include all three of action/fantasy/romance? Some of these are more comedy/romance types of shows, so keep that in mind.

Kodomo no Omocha AKA Kodocha: 102 episodes, lots of insane comedy with drama/romance mixed in. If you like hearing people talk real fast, then the main character of Kodocha is for you.

Full Moon wo Sagashite: 52 episodes, Shoujo/Fantasy/Romance show about a 12 year-old girl suffering from throat cancer who wants to be a singer. She meets two Shinigami who turn her into a 16 year-old and do other magical favors. Lots of cuteness/comedy/sadness. Also, the Shinigami are much more cute & fluffy than the ones that you'll find in Bleach Surprised

Ai yori aoshi: If you include the second series, Ai yori aoshi Enishi, you get 36 episodes, but if you don't like straight* romance and harem comedy, it's probably not a good choice.

*By "straight," I mean straightforward, honest, semi-serious, not "heterosexual."

Full Metal Panic: 1st Season 24 + Fumoffu 12 + The Second Raid 13 = 49 eps, with strong possibilities of more series to come. If you like mechs/Gundams, FMP has mecha action mixed with high school comedy. Mercenary teenager kicks butt in giant robots only to get hit on the head with a paper fan by the female lead the next day, that sort of thing. Fumoffu is heavy on the comedy, TSR is more serious and focuses on the action, and the first season is a balance.

CardCaptor Sakura: 70 episodes+2 movies, very much action/fantasy/romance-oriented, but as a fair warning, it is a magical girl show from CLAMP, so the cuteness/girliness levels are off the charts. Be prepared for lots of spoiler[Sakura's wonderful nonsense catchphrase, HOOOOEEEEE!!! Very Happy ]

That's enough for now, as I shouldn't go recommending other shows that I know of, but haven't seen. However, I wanted to throw in something else: I think you might be cheating yourself a little bit by excluding short series; don't take my avatar's word for it--many people speak highly of the compact/dense plot and intense emotions of shows like Haibane Renmei (13 eps), Air (12), Now and Then, Here and There (13), and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (14), or the weirdness/insanity of Paranoia Agent (13).
Pantha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I second the recommendations for Twelve Kingdoms and Fullmetal Alchemist. For other longer series, try:

1. Monster (74 episodes): As far as I'm concerned, this is easily the best anime of 2004.

2. Great Teacher Onizuka (43 episodes): Perhaps the only school comedy that is actually funny. And it stays funny throughout the entirety of the length....mostly thanks to the crazy and unpredictable antics of the main character.

3. Full Moon wo Sagashite (52 episodes): The manga is better, but if you like cutesy but somewhat meaningful shoujo, well, you won't do wrong by checking this out.

4. Brother, Dear Brother (39 episodes): If you like morbid, melodramatic shoujo, then this is up your alley.

5. Rose of Versailles (40 episodes)

6. Hikaru no Go (75 episodes): This is the first sports anime I've seen and I enjoyed it immensely. It has a slow start, but once you get through the exposition, it gets quite addictive.

7. Kodomo no Omocha (102 episodes): Have you seen Fruits Basket? If you have and liked it, you need to watch this. Another cutesy shoujo that blends comedy and drama perfectly.

8. Hunter x Hunter (62 episodes + OVAs): An adventure story that Naruto borrowed heavily from.. if you liked Naruto, check this out. You may want to look at Yu Yu Hakusho (112 episodes) too since it's by the same creator.
lonrot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your recommendations i am going to look for them, I really trust that these anime are good because some of them i had already seem and like them a lot so ^^ =)

thank you really much
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Blade+ wrote:
I think the serie Suzuka is quite good its a little bit of comedy but mostly drama. it has about 26 eps.

The Original Post wrote:
I am looking for anime that has at least 32 episodes or more.

Suzuka is a decent series imo, but AFAIK, there are no plans to take it past 26 episodes.

(And may I insert a side rant: "serie" is not a word. The word "series" refers to "a collection of episodes that proceeds one after the other"; in other words, you can say, "I've seen one anime series" or "I've seen one thousand anime series," and the word "series" does not change. Nothing against you, Blade+, I'm just a language Nazi and this is something I see often, from many people.)
Throes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
32+ episodes? How about 250+ episodes? Now you must be asking yourself, "What the hell does that guy mean, Detective Conan?" Well, no, I'm talking about a little series called One Piece. BEWARE OF DUB!!! (that translates to do not watch it at any cost) If you watch th One Piece dub it may ruin your experience and cause waves of stupid to flow throughout your brain. The dub has been heavily edited (in certain areas), includes no origonal music, horribly selected voices (many of them at least). Which is why I suggest downloading the origional. I mean, 4kids may say they'll release an uncut, but they were never planning, or will plan on releasing an uncut.

But yeah, I also suggest Fullmetal Alchemist, even though it deviates from the manga around the end.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi, World Masterpiece Fairy Tale Series, Sazae-san, and Doraemon each gave 1000+ episodes. Sazae-san is the longest running anime with over 5500 (each episode being composed of 3 minisodes).
Preston

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:

Perhaps the only school comedy that is actually funny.

Can tell you missed Mai HiME. Though the drama that makes up the last 2/3 of this series is what attracts most people.
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Preston wrote:
Pantha wrote:

Can tell you missed Mai HiME. Though the drama that makes up the last 2/3 of this series is what attracts most people.

I didn't find Mai HiME very funny or remotely entertaining at all, rather just full of the same tired cliche jokes involving panties, "I'm hungry!", a very angry impatient snobby girl, ect.

In any case, Monster is my prime recommendation for a long, suspenseful series, though it doesn't really pick up til episode 4 or so.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Preston wrote:
Pantha wrote:

Mai HiME is more like a very sick joke, I can't think up a concept as cruel as that one. Sure, there might be no blood in it, but I think Mai HiME is more in common to Battle Royal than a high school comedy show.

On a more positive note though, I don't think I've ever seen despair and deathcries as vividly portayed as in Mai HiME in an anime before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2