• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sorry for being a noob but.. [What is Ghost in the Shell]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
is ghost in a shell an action type anime? and i was also wondering iwhat order it goes in, cause there is 2 movies i think and is there episodes? thanks for your help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
yes there is a series
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChrisC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
yes but what order is it in? is the movies first or are the completey different? another thing whats final fantasy unlimited like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
May I suggest looking here?
anime#910

(Sorry if this qualifies as BSM)

I'm not sure if the movies are essential to the plot of the series; I haven't seen it, but I believe the "Stand Alone" part of the title implies that it's based on the story/world of the movies, but not directly connected to the plot.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The movies, story-wise are completely different. The movies and the show have nothing to do with one another other than the fact that it's Ghost In The Shell. The movies don't pick up where the show left off and they are not a prequel either. I didn't like Innocence that much (although it's great visuals go without saying), but SAC and the first movie are very good. Also while I haven't seen it I've heard nothing but bad things about FF Unlimited. A friend of mine who was watching it said he couldn't finish it and the reviews on this site were not favorable either.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ChrisC wrote:
is ghost in a shell an action type anime? and i was also wondering iwhat order it goes in, cause there is 2 movies i think and is there episodes? thanks for your help.

GitS is Cyber Punk. There are action elements to it, but the main focus is philosophical in nature. As for the order to see them, it doesn't matter too much. GitS and GitS: Innocence are the two movies. They occur in the same timeline, so you would watch GitS then Innocence. The series, GitS: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig, occur in a sort of alternate reality. As far as the series are concerned, the events of the movies never took place.

Zalis116 wrote:

I haven't seen it, but I believe the "Stand Alone" part of the title implies that it's based on the story/world of the movies, but not directly connected to the plot.

"Stand Alone" actually refers to one of the two types of episodes in the series. The Stand Alone episodes are side stories which do not tie into the main plot. The Complex episodes deal with the main plot and storyline.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I made a post about Final Fantasy Unlimited here in the Overrated/Underrated Anime post. Don't expect FFU to be as good as the games; it's a little weird/childish, but I don't think it's "terrible." Not exactly "great," but not the worst ever, either. I'd gladly rewatch FFU before seeing something like Futakoi again, that's for sure.
Sharpe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I suggest watching at least the first movie before the series. The original movie was the first "Ghost in the Shell" story. It was the original vision. IMO its also the best of all of them. It also sets a nice background for the series, even though the two storylines do not connect.

I wouldn't call it "action", although there are action scenes. I agree with the fellow above that "cyber-punk" is a better label.
ChrisC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
And what is cyber-punk?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
ChrisC wrote:
And what is cyber-punk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

GitS is Cyber Punk. There are action elements to it, but the main focus is philosophical in nature. As for the order to see them, it doesn't matter too much. GitS and GitS: Innocence are the two movies. They occur in the same timeline, so you would watch GitS then Innocence. The series, GitS: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig, occur in a sort of alternate reality. As far as the series are concerned, the events of the movies never took place.

Oh so that explains everything.

I was wondering as to how after 2nd GIG finished, the sky became orange and I see dragons big ships floating around the place as if those things are monitoring the entire area (as I've seen in the Gits 2: Innocence trailer).

I guess that explains why.

Speaking of which, I do have a question that I want to raise.

My question is, how come the sky is all orange as if it was sunset for the whole day (as if no blue sky at all)???

I remember that in the first GITS movie (I only watched 30 mins. of it), everything was still normal. In Innocence, there is only orange sky for the whole day and of course your usual night time.

Now when and how did the sky turn orange??? (as seen in GITS 2)

Now, that's what I don't get at all.

Anyways, if you don't what I'm talking about, here's what I mean:
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Both Ghost in the Shell movies are terrific in terms of atmosphere, character development, and artwork and are rightly regarded as classics even though they have their fair share of detractors. The GiTS: SAC series is forgettable, lacking the grittiness and animation quality of the movies. It is more of a light-hearted cop show along the lines of New Dominion Tank Police, only more boring. Another comparison would be that it is to the movies what Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is to the original OVA.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Both Ghost in the Shell movies are terrific in terms of atmosphere, character development, and artwork and are rightly regarded as classics even though they have their fair share of detractors.

I think it's a bit to early to be calling the the second movie a "classic".
Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I think it's a bit to early to be calling the the second movie a "classic".

Perhaps, but it's one of the few animes that are acknowledged, much less praised, even by non-anime fans. Time will tell of course.
madlib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Sharpe wrote:
I suggest watching at least the first movie before the series. The original movie was the first "Ghost in the Shell" story. It was the original vision. IMO its also the best of all of them. It also sets a nice background for the series, even though the two storylines do not connect.

do you mean background in terms of characters? i haven't seen either movie, but you're saying they're pretty independent from the series right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2