• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2 questions: One is personal, one is about FLCL

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Personaly, i don't know what an otaku is. Please tell me.

Also, What is with the way they bathe in FLCL? They sit on a stool and hose themselves off. I don't really get it. Please help me!

-Animekid08
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Animekid08. wrote:

The word is Japanese, and is usually used in Japanese as a sort of synonym for "geek loser with one or more obsessive interests". There are anime-otaku and train-otaku and stamp collecting-otaku, and so on.

Some time ago, American anime fans decided to appropriate the term to mean "anime fanboy/fangirl". In America, the term carries much less negative connotations than in Japan. Even so, not every anime fan likes to be called otaku. I don't, for instance.

Animekid08. wrote:
Also, What is with the way they bathe in FLCL? They sit on a stool and hose themselves off. I don't really get it. Please help me!

Japanese baths are for soaking in. They are also often communal baths. Therefore, it is a crude and almost disgusting thing to get in a bath without cleaning your body first. So you clean yourself, then you get in the bath and soak.

Japanese bath temperatures are also generally warmer than Western bath temperatures. Think of it as a liquid sauna that you sit in, rather than a bath.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Animekid08. wrote:

Use Google or ANN's Lexi...con? Are? Not added yet?

Animekid08. wrote:

It would be more relaxing if you can sit while taking a shower, wouldn't it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Animekid08. wrote:

Japanese baths are for soaking in. They are also often communal baths. Therefore, it is a crude and almost disgusting thing to get in a bath without cleaning your body first. So you clean yourself, then you get in the bath and soak.

Japanese bath temperatures are also generally warmer than Western bath temperatures. Think of it as a liquid sauna that you sit in, rather than a bath.

- abunai

Then there's the Japanese bathes I went into (hotels). The same as American bathes except they always have an annoying step placed right before you get in so you'll bump your head on the ceiling cause the rooms are so small. They also have those crazy hoses so you can easily wash in hard to reach places Wink . And sometimes they have the soap/shampoo/conditioner inside the shower vending machine style. And don't press the button on the toilet that has a picture of water spraying... it'll freak you out.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
They also have those crazy hoses so you can easily wash in hard to reach places Wink .

Or so you can wash before getting in, as you were supposed to.

PantsGoblin wrote:
And don't press the button on the toilet that has a picture of water spraying... it'll freak you out.

Ah, another American unfamiliar with the concept of the bidet...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Animekid08. wrote:

-Animekid08

And to play Captain Obvious here, it's not just in FLCL that they bathe like this--since it's a Japanese cultural thing, you'll see it in many, many anime. . .in fact, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard the line, "I'll scrub your back for you" or some variant thereof. . .well, you get the idea. Though there are many strange things in FLCL, the bathing method is not one of them.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
They also have those crazy hoses so you can easily wash in hard to reach places Wink .

I'm talking about the little one room bathrooms, there wasn't enough room for bathing before getting in. Anyway even if I did, because of the little step they put in, the water would have leaked out onto the carpet. I don't think they'd really appretiate that.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Reminds of the signs at teh YMCA saying "please take a shower before entering in the pool" but no one actually does that...
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Animekid08. wrote:

Use Google or ANN's Lexi...con? Are? Not added yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Reminds of the signs at teh YMCA saying "please take a shower before entering in the pool" but no one actually does that...

Ew. Just... Ew.

- abunai
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

No surprise....I don't think anyone here in America would ever do that. (At least noone I know, and that's quite a bit of people.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

No surprise....I don't think anyone here in America would ever do that. (At least noone I know, and that's quite a bit of people.)

I think PantsGoblin ment the people in america, i doubt Japanese people would not shower first considering they have to wash themselves before they take a bath.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
remember love wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

I think PantsGoblin ment the people in america, i doubt Japanese people would not shower first considering they have to wash themselves before they take a bath.

Well, the in America statement was for people who also live outside of Japan and America...I didn't want anyone thinking that everyone but Japan doesn't bathe before hand. (So basically didn't want to offend anyone.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Efan wrote:
remember love wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
abunai wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

Well, the in America statement was for people who also live outside of Japan and America...I didn't want anyone thinking that everyone but Japan doesn't bathe before hand. (So basically didn't want to offend anyone.)

I didn't mean that i thought you were offending anyone, just that you took his post out of context.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've only been to one ryoken, but it had a large communal shower area with the plastic stools for you to sit on while you washed up. Off in a side room there was a very large and very hot bath tub. I take what I consider to be very hot showers at home but I could barely stand this tub's water and I looked like a boiled lobster when I got out.

Nobody ever offered to scrub my back, so that might just be an anime thing. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2