• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Influence of Violence

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prettygirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Some people seem to suggest that violent Japanese video games and anime violence are to be blamed for the increasing number of violent acts by youngsters. Do you agree with this?

Personally, I do not think these are the main contributing factors for the acts of violence. Nevertheless, personalities are formed from societal norms and things that surround us in this world. It is true that these images could possibly influence the way people act. However, it is not to say that just from being surrounded by violent images, it will most certainly turn a person into, for example, the class bully. There are more things in this world that have a greater influence over a person such as parental guidance or education. That’s my take on this subject. And yours?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Most parents want a scapegoat to blame on for their child's bad behavoir, and to many the obvious reason is TV or games...

i think it is more how that child is raised and taught by their parents and their outside environment with friends, rather then exclusively TV or games...

same reason why my dad might think that me watching anime with questionable women would make me a sex addict.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Possibly; but it could also be noted as a 'healthy outlet of frustration'. However; it has been proven that media outlets heavily affect our own behaviours.

No matter how it's portrayed in anime our Societies will most likely still frown upon violence morally and be able to express this through other mediums. It all comes down to age, maturity and the individual.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Firefighters, get dressed and grab your gears. Time to extinguish the flame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nagurikorosu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
While it is true that people are influence by what they see and hear, no matter how profound/ridiculus it is, that's no excuse. I've seen plenty of violent things myself as a child (and especially in the past few years) but I've yet to seriously injure or kill someone.

So, my point is, these types of things only set off a few people. Odds are that eventually they may have snapped anyway without "provokation" or "influence". But no, I don't think violence in anime or games (or any other media) have anything to do with it. If it did, we wouldn't be here.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It's only a return to the cycle...I grew up with lots of violent TV, even cartoons were violent back then...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally sick and tired of hearing these things get blamed for one or two already unstable kids being violent because of parents who can't bother to be responsible for their own kids themselves. I haven't heard anime mentioned as much, though some people have told me it's too violent for them, but I hear it all the time about video games, particularly from that sad excuse for a lawyer Jack Thompson. As a new form of mass media, they're just taking their turn of abuse from a couple of idiots. If you look back at what was "corrupting the youth of our nation," first it was TV, then comic books (which quickly censored themselves), then rock 'n' roll (or "devil music," as the people scared of change liked to call it), then violent movies, then rap music (and the music industry in general, which lead to the Parental Advisory labels because they caved in), and now it's video games. I'm betting before long, the issue will be brought to the Supreme Court (hopefully not by that idiot Jack Thompson), it will obviously be declared another form of free speech, and parents will be charged with actually looking at what they're buying their kids instead of buying "Blood Drinking Sex Monsters from Hell with Chainsaws" thinking video games are "just for kids" because Mario appeals to everyone and is still the face of games (and rightfully so).
ginnogosa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
hahaha people think that violent acts by kids are caused by anime. i think its what their parents teach them. anime and violent people have nothing in common. about over half the world still doesnt know what anime is so how could it affect us so much? so i think its the prents
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
No, I can totally see the logic of Anime --> Violent Acts. Why, just last Monday I took my Soul Slayer and released its bankai, levelling an apartment building full of elderly people and cute kittens. Then my childhood female friend hit me with a paper fan and yelled "baka" several dozen times. I think these parents totally have something to be concerned about.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
Some people seem to suggest that violent Japanese video games and anime violence are to be blamed for the increasing number of violent acts by youngsters. Do you agree with this?

If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do), Japan has a remarkably low rate of violent crime, alongside their fair share of violent media.

Nagurikorosu wrote:
While it is true that people are influence by what they see and hear, no matter how profound/ridiculus it is, that's no excuse.

That's the bottom line.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Some countries either hardly or don't even have violent videogames or media and the crime rate is probably at least 10 times the amount than countries that do.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I agree that media video games even anime does affect people but people are idiots if they let it live there lives (this statement goes for the adults).

Kids while are effected about anime and television should have been tought not to do such things by there parents. If parents raised there kids properly then no amount of influence caused by television should affect them to the degree that they think that starting fires or beating a kid up with a blunt object is completely okay.

And if parents blame what kids watch on television for the reason why they act violently then why did those parents let them watch it? There excuse would probably be well I didn't know he or she was watching such violent items. My answer to them would be then pay more attention to your children. If you truely think violent acts from children are from television then make sure you know what your kid is watching, pay attention to there behavior and tell them what is rigth and what is wrong. I know I learned not to hit some with a baseball from my parents though I've seen such "violence" on television all the time when I was only at the age of 6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:

Personally, I do not think these are the main contributing factors for the acts of violence. Nevertheless, personalities are formed from societal norms and things that surround us in this world. It is true that these images could possibly influence the way people act. However, it is not to say that just from being surrounded by violent images, it will most certainly turn a person into, for example, the class bully. There are more things in this world that have a greater influence over a person such as parental guidance or education. That’s my take on this subject. And yours?

So, are we comparing anime characters fighting in PS2 to much more realistic war games such as SOCOM and those other army games that even the US government helped make (Forgot the name of the game)? Laugh. I'm sure kids would love to do what cartoon characters do. I'm surprised there's no Toms & Jerries running around in the US chasing each other. Media is most definitely a source of the increasing violence in kids, but I think anime is hardly a factor. And violence in anime hasn't been increasing from all the 2005 titles I see.

All you did was state some general and obvious facts about how the media influence kids, such as their level of violence. What's your argument? In fact, what's your point of making this thread? Do you actually expect anyone to agree and say anime has made them more violent, or that they saw others become more violent through watching anime?

Really, this is yet another pointless thread that will be one-sided since nobody will say anime has made him more violent, especially in an anime forum.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Really, this is yet another pointless thread that will be one-sided since nobody will say anime has made him more violent, especially in an anime forum.

I disagree. I think that most media has made me a more violent person. I've had day-dreams about getting into fights and winning amazingly, or piloting a mobile suit; which were as far as I can tell definitely affected by my viewing of anime. However; I think you're being too rash; as others have said how they have dreamed about violence, and how it'd probably be because of things like anime which glorify it slightly. Of course nobody here is going to say "Yah i stabbed a guylol" because there is an overwhelming majority in Society who prefer our moral code, forced on us constantly, than one single influence. It's a lop-sided argument, yes, but not pointless.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

All you did was state some general and obvious facts about how the media influence kids, such as their level of violence. What's your argument? In fact, what's your point of making this thread? Do you actually expect anyone to agree and say anime has made them more violent, or that they saw others become more violent through watching anime?

Thank you Sticky Toffee Popcorn for your argument. Anime smallmouth When I say influence, it means only that. It does not mean that you are going to re-enact all the violence you watch. It means that influence will affect the way you think about things and the decisions you make. I think that violence does influence (note the use of the word) people. HOWEVER, this influence might also be over powered by greater influences such as parental guidance. You might subconsciously pick things up and not realize you are doing so. Some people will think, for example, that beating up people who they deem “wrong” is the moral thing to do (which it isn’t since the abuser has no right to judge who’s right and who’s wrong). This is in fact my argument.

With reference to, “what’s the point of making this thread?” well obviously I put this thread up there to listen to the opinions of others! I’m not saying I want people to agree that anime has made people more violent. I just wanted people to explain why they think anime does not make people more violent.

Besides, it is really quite rude to outright say someone’s thread is “pointless” since everyone has their own curiosities and opinions. If it was pointless, no one would be responding… including you, Azathrael. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3