• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh man! I didn't know the singles had reversible artwork! That's insane! I might have to double dip now, dammit! Do you have any more pictures of all of inserts+reverse side inserts?
archaron

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I just might have to hop on that bandwagon myself too. The original Full Metal Panic release from ADV does something similar with the reversible covers as well too.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, guys, I'm going to upload the images to the album below. There's no place online that I know of that has all of the artwork scanned in and collected in one spot, so I'm doing all of the scanning myself. I'll try to get through as many as I can tonight, but what I don't finish will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. I have a softball game tonight and I'll need to pack up as well, so I'll probably only get through a few.

Photo album: http://imgur.com/a/v9h5C#0

I've currently finished up the artwork for the 1st volume (cover, DVD, insert).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Oooh man! You are the best for scanning these all in, willag!
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have finished uploading everything. Once again, here's the album to see all of the images (for the singles releases): http://imgur.com/a/gW2mB#0

Now, for a visual comparison between the different Princess Tutu releases:

Volume 1 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Volume 2 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Volume 3 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Volume 4 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Volume 5 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Volume 6 Single:

[Amazon Link]

Complete Collection #1:

[Amazon Link] - This release is contained in 6-pack case with 2 flip pages (no dvds stacked on top of each other!)

Complete Collection #2:

[Amazon Link] - This release is a dreaded stackpack

Complete Collection #3:

[Amazon Link] - This release is yet another dreaded stackpack

If anyone has better images from the 2nd or 3rd complete collection, I'd appreciate it if you could send them to me!

EDIT: Y'know, comparing these reminds me just exactly how godawfully assfaced FUGLY the first complete collection looks. I remember it being bad, but I forgot exactly how bad. Who the f*** designed that layout?

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Wow.

Willag, have I ever mentioned that you're kind of really freaking awesome?

That certainly amounts to a strong pitch for the original single-disc release. I'm disappointed that there seems to have never been an artbox since those are good-looking and helpful for storage, but the cover art seems worth the trouble.

Sentai will get my money when they release Kids on the Slope (after episode seven, I'd almost be willing to preorder it now) and perhaps Bodacious Space Pirates. (it has disappointed me in the long run, but aw shucks, so much of the cast is just so durn easy to like)

willag wrote:
Complete Collection #1:

[Amazon Link] - This release is contained in 6-pack case with 2 flip pages (no dvds stacked on top of each other!)

EDIT: Y'know, comparing these reminds me just exactly how godawfully assfaced FUGLY the first complete collection looks. I remember it being bad, but I forgot exactly how bad. Who the f*** designed that layout?

Wow... who thought that was a good idea? It looks like it should be for some generic 'real robot' mecha series. Princess Tutu seems to have a very particular and different aesthetic.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Very pretty scanning! Yay, willag!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'm considering getting the Madoka LEs... the thing is, I'm going to need some convincing if I should...

This is one of those titles I see pop up everywhere in cons and whatnot (and it's popular so of course!) and the more I see it, the more I want to check it out. However, since I'm a huge LE fan I would HAVE to get the LE. ...especially since I just found out that Yuki Kajiura does the music for it. I also like the magical girl genre and I remember hearing how this one "brought the genre back".

The biggest thing that kills it... is the price... I know they are available still (fortunately) and of course I would want to pick them before they sell out. I guess I can always save up and wait till a counter starts. Another thing is the show itself. Is it really worth investing in it for a shorter series?

This is probably the best I can explain it, so maybe some Madoka fans could help me with this decision.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I have the first 2 Madoka LE sets and have the third on order. I recently watched the whole thing (the last 4 episodes via fansubs) and, as far as the actual show itself is concerned, I consider it a masterpiece and the best TV anime released in the past 5 years. However, I don't really feel that the sets give really good value for the dollar, but it's not like we have a choice, unless you want to take a chance on a possible cheaper re-release in the future (as it seems Aniplex intends to do with Oreimo and Kara no Kyokai). My main complaints about the LE sets are the flimsy artboxes, the almost utter lack of any on-disc extras and an English dub that is mediocre at best IMO (for this price, we should at least be getting Bang Zoom's best-which this is not-if not an all-star Disney/Ghibli-type dub).

On the plus side, the blu-rays look great. The subtitles are are perfectly legible (unlike some FUNimation BDs) and judgin by the comments in the discussion thread from people who know the translation is accurate and I did not notice any obvious mistakes. Getting the soundtrack CDs is also a good bonus as these can be very expensive in themselves. Personally, I really don't care much about the posters (small and with permanent creases from being folded up inside the case) or the postcards, but some people really like that stuff; if you're one of them then that may be a selling point.

All in all, I don't regret purchasing these as the show is great but I am a bit underwhelmed given the cost. I doubt these will be available cheaper in the future, and buying used copies might mean not getting all the extras.

Hope this helps, just one person's opinions.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
That's a good perspective on the sets. And I know I've heard its good, but to hear it be a masterpiece, is even better (especially since this will be a blind buy). I'm certain it'll be one that I enjoy just as much.

I think at this point... I will keep it on my radar. Coming back from a con, I just depleted my budget for the time being. I'll be checking in and I may just need to wait for a counter to appear before I pick them up. I'm leaning towards an "I'll get them" however, I do have a list of wants that's higher in priority right now.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Willag, have I ever mentioned that you're kind of really freaking awesome?

Feel free to mention it some more. Wink

Surrender Artist wrote:
That certainly amounts to a strong pitch for the original single-disc release. I'm disappointed that there seems to have never been an artbox since those are good-looking and helpful for storage, but the cover art seems worth the trouble.

Well, as long as you don't mind the artbox not being official...

Ever heard of Paul Champagne? He makes collector designer cases for tvs/movies. SonRyu does a majority (if not all) of the designs for the anime boxes, and he did one for Princess Tutu.

I'll be buying that soon from Paul's website to contain the individual dvds.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Sentai will get my money when they release Kids on the Slope

Me too. This series will be my first pre-order for them.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
However, I don't really feel that the sets give really good value for the dollar, but it's not like we have a choice, unless you want to take a chance on a possible cheaper re-release in the future (as it seems Aniplex intends to do with Oreimo and Kara no Kyokai).

For Madoka, there probably won't be a cheaper re-release since Aniplex does sell regular edition DVD and BD versions. Unless, Aniplex USA wants to make a boxset down the road of the series.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
What are artbooks from Vertical like? Like, how big are they, how nice are they, how many pages typically, are they edited, are they worth $25, etc... I ask because they're putting out an artbook for Queen's Blade, and I've never bought/seen on before, so I just wanna know what I might be getting myself into.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sooo...have you never bought anything from Vertical before? My general policy is to throw my money at them. Their books always seem to come in odd sizes (compared to other US manga), but I don't think I have any manga from them with colored pages so I can't really comment on that, and I wanna say that this Queen's Blade artbook will be their first artbook (I don't know of any others), but my general instinct is to trust them. Odds are the book will come in a size that matches absolutely none of your other books but that it'll be of good quality. You could always pm Vertical_Ed on here, he's the company rep/marketing director. [email protected] works too
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking at my tiny, tiny manga collection, I only have Tokyopop, Del Rey, Viz, and Dark Horse, so no, no Vertical, though I do hear good things. I also do have one very large book from Yen Press, my HSOTD full color edition. It's just that, even though I know what an artbook is and that I've seen pictures of them before (at least ones people import from Japan), I've never seen one in real life, nor do I know what their contents are like (though I can guess what will be in the QB one). I have little, flimsy artbooks that Funimation has released for their Limited Editions, so I guess an official one from a manga company is the same thing, just bigger and hardcover? I still wonder how many pages it is, though. $25 for a full color, four volume manga is one thing. $25 for a book full of just pictures is another, especially if it's only about 20 pages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 132