• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokemon and Yugioh: Will they ever go away?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Why are Pokemon and Yugioh still on the air after all this time?
I mean they are two of WORST anime of all time. They are noting more than cheap merchandising gimmick. In fact how the heck did they become so popular in the first place?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I often ask similar things about Naruto. The fact remains they are popular and they are popular because kids love them. Teletubbies and Barney were popular too, doesn't mean that mature audiences should watch them. Some things are just made for a different market than the one you're a part of, that's the nature of business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:

You answered your own question.
Jarmyn wrote:
They are noting more than cheap merchandising gimmick.

These two shows in particular do wonders for their card and video game counterparts. They've targeted little kids (and even get to some adults) and the entire purpose is to get them interested in the games. And if they like the anime and want to buy them too, that's more money for the companies in both the U.S and Japan.

I'm sure all those people are filthy rich by now Razz.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
I mean they are two of WORST anime of all time. They are noting more than cheap merchandising gimmick. In fact how the heck did they become so popular in the first place?

Maybe because of the diverse cast of PoKemon characters, interesting storylines, and different lessons each episode seems to impart on the viewer. PoKemon has earned its spot in the annals of Japanese anime fame. You wanna rip Yu-Gi-Oh!, whatever. But you have to admit even if you dislike the show there are aspects you can see that would make it attractive to not only kids, but an older audience.
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The thing is Pokemon's plot is redundant, it's the same plot over and over and over again. The plot (if you can CALL it that)is like this:Episodes #60-13086028609: Ash and gang meet people. Stuff happens. Team Rocket attacks once or twice and are blown away for the billionth time. End. Repeat.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Because there's no shows that are popular with american mature audiences that are equally redundant. Oh no sir, none at all. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I may not like pokemon anymore. Anime fans bashing Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, and other kids animes are just idiotic. They're supposed to be for kids. Adults aren't expected to like those shows. Besides, if it weren't for these animes, I'm pretty sure a lot of us would not be into anime.

Of course, just because they're for kids doesn't mean that some adults can't enjoy it. I won't bash anyone over 10 who watches Pokemon. A lot of animes that are targetted at the same audiences are popular with older anime fans (Bleach, FMA, Naruto and ever other Shonen). Of course they're more violent and the stories are darker but that doesn't change the fact that they're kids shows since they're shonen.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
I mean they are two of WORST anime of all time.

Why? Because they're aimed at children like the majority of Japanese ainmation is? Or because they're popular? I think you're vastly overreacting all because they're big-name titles never aimed at your age bracket to begin with, that you yourself just happen not to like despite the fact you were never really meant to.

Jarmyn wrote:

Same could be said for most anime, even some of the greatest titles of all time. Just look at Evangelion or Gundam. Face facts: far mor than half of all anime produced are done so with a strong intent to market them and make money. Contrary to popular belief, America isn't the only greedy, super-capitalist cash whore, and Japan is not the Holy Paradise of purely artistic animation and film.

Jarmyn wrote:
The thing is Pokemon's plot is redundant, it's the same plot over and over and over again.

Never stopped Love Hina, Abenobashi, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Inu-Yasha, or Noir from becoming immensely popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:

I don't think yuugioh is that bad, it's just how the american dub was handled and a lot of good points of yuugioh were chopped off =(

Since yugioh had filler arc popping up it became repitive, but it still had a good story (which was changed in the american dub from "i want to find my memories " to stereotypical "Let's save the world!" )
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Jarmyn wrote:
I mean they are two of WORST anime of all time.

Why? Because they're aimed at children like the majority of Japanese ainmation is? Or because they're popular? I think you're vastly overreacting all because they're big-name titles never aimed at your age bracket to begin with, that you yourself just happen not to like despite the fact you were never really meant to.

Jarmyn wrote:

Same could be said for most anime, even some of the greatest titles of all time. Just look at Evangelion or Gundam. Face facts: far mor than half of all anime produced are done so with a strong intent to market them and make money. Contrary to popular belief, America isn't the only greedy, super-capitalist cash whore, and Japan is not the Holy Paradise of purely artistic animation and film.

Jarmyn wrote:
The thing is Pokemon's plot is redundant, it's the same plot over and over and over again.

Never stopped Love Hina, Abenobashi, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Inu-Yasha, or Noir from becoming immensely popular.

How I agree with you with the DBZ, sailormoon, and inu-yasha note. I haven't seen the rest of the ones you said and only a little of naruto. And sailormoon out of the three is the only one I do like but that's only the first two seasons. But the rreasons why I got out of these shows specially DBZ is because of the fact it's the exact samething over and over and over again and gets old to me. They were extremely good for the beginning but afterwards it's just too much the same. The only episodes I would watch for DBZ would be when Vegeta comes to earth and like I said sailormoon only like the first two seasons.

And like he said it's aimed for small children mostly. Same as how Barney or even Scooby-doo(just to give another cartoon or an american anime)was very popular during my young childhood...pokemon is for there childhood.

Last edited by remember love on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched only 20-30 episodes of Pokemon and maybe 2 or 3 of Yugioh, decent time wasters.

I can tell you this though, I liked both far better than DBZ.
Bosque

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
lots of points:
1 - TV stations don't care about shows quality, they just care about the popularity. ¿anything bad in it? its a bussine.
2 - That you like an anime doesn't mean it's good. In anime or any artistic product discussion you'll never have the absolute true, there will be always different opinions and every one is as valid as the other. I love Pokemon series even if it's repetitive or oriented for younger audiences, it doesn's mean that you have to like it, you may hate it but not think that the show is bad and no-one should like it. Quality will be always a subjective concept.
3 - Anime is an artistic product but you have to assume it as a bussine too. So, it's the same as point 1 Confused

Bye and sorry for the english, i'm chilean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm getting a little tired of people lumping Yugioh and Pokemon together as being nothing more than commercialized anime. Read up about your facts about Yugioh and you'll see that Yugioh isn't anymore commercialized than Gundam or any other mecha show out there. To be a truely "commericialized" anime, you have to have a merchandise already produced and then the anime is created to advertise that merchandise (like Pokemon and Digimon for example), which is the not the case with Yugioh. When the manga was first released, the card game wasn't even a part of the story. Even after the card game made its first apperance in the manga, it wasn't used as a regular part of the series until the second anime series.

After a while, the fans started to like the card game, so it became a regular part of the Yugioh Duel Monsters anime, and then they created the card game to advertise the anime. Yugioh is a completely different case from Pokemon in which the video games were created first and the anime was created to advertise the games. Just because Yugioh sells merchandise and involves monsters battling each other doesn't make it a commercialized anime. You never see people call Cardcaptor Sakura a Pokemon rip-off even though it's about a little ten year old girl who captures monsters using magical cards and even has video games and merchandise in Japan, yet you do for Yugioh. Rolling Eyes As to why Yugioh and Pokemon are still on TV, in the case of Yugioh, the manga has already ended in Japan and the new series, Yugioh GX, is an original story created for the anime.

From what I've heard, Yugioh GX doesn't seem to be as popular as Yugioh was, so the Yugioh craze will most likely end after Yugioh GX is completed. As to why Pokemon is still on TV, it's the same reason why Power Rangers is still on TV even though hardly anyone watches it anymore. Pokemon made a ton of cash back when the show had its first big boom in the U.S. from all the merchandise and video games that sold and it still has a lot of merchandise and games to back itself up with, so even though it's not popular anymore, Pokemon can still air on TV because it has the merchandise to back itself up with. You take the merchandise away and Pokemon would probably have ended a long time ago. Just take a look at Digimon. Digimon wasn't as popular as Pokemon (though it seemed to be more popular among older anime fans than Pokemon was), yet it knew when to end because it didn't have as much merchandise to back itself up with. I also seem to remember reading that Pokemon was still popular among kids in Japan. Considering that they've already had about eight Pokemon movies produced, I don't think Pokemon is ready to go away just yet, at least not in Japan. What's popular in Japan isn't always popular in America, after all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Jarmyn wrote:

I'll say this as no one else has yet. There is no way Noir is like Pokémon, No way, no how. Rolling Eyes
I didn't mind Pokémon when me children watched it and he's correct to say it is repetative in template. It's the reason they got bored with it eventually.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

You never see people call Cardcaptor Sakura a Pokemon rip-off even though it's about a little ten year old girl who captures monsters using magical cards and even has video games and merchandise in Japan.

Lol, my younger brother called Cardcaptor Sakura a Pokemon ripoff when I told him that I was watching it. I have to disagree, but then again, my brother doesn't like the cute stuff as much as I do Surprised

For some reason, I'm not thinking that Noir and Abenobashi were "immensely" popular in Japan, not on the level of Eva/Gundam/SM/DBZ/YGO/Pokemon/CCS anyway. I read in some Eva commentary that the mecha designs were intentionally done so that they wouldn't be easily marketable, because they didn't want to make a shameless commercialized show out of it. However, the business people had no worries, since sales of figurines of the female characters outsold the mech figurines by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4