• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies dub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Is the grave of fireflies dub good? I'm watching it tonight with somone who's kind of an anime skeptic, and if I show the dub and it's bad, they'll never be converted.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The dub isn't horrible, but isn't very great. Solid mediocrity. I'd show them the sub.
Haha, you should tell us how well it goes over with the skeptic.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Grave of Fireflies would be a hard title to start with. If you want to "convert" someone you should try something better like the Cowboy Bebop dub; it sparked my interest in anime. If you're looking for a movie try the Spirited Away dub, it's fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
It's an average dub. Not the worst dubb but not the best dub by any means. The voice actors fit there parts well I think but if you notice on some scenes it looks like the voice isn't moving with the mouth. Not too badly though and only way I noticed is because I watched it over and over but like you said your friend is a skeptic and might take notice.....you diffenetly might want to find a better movie to play for him. Cowboy bebop like the other poster suggested is a good one another movie I'd recommend is Steam Boy or Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Grave of Fireflies would be a hard title to start with. If you want to "convert" someone you should try something better like the Cowboy Bebop dub; it sparked my interest in anime. If you're looking for a movie try the Spirited Away dub, it's fantastic.

I think it depends. If someone is more into sad and quite movies, why not show Grave of Fireflies? It doesn't contain too much stuff that an anime newbie couldn't understand and it's quite good IMHO.
Not everyone likes action and blood (refering to remember love's second suggestion).
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Looking beyond the fact that it is an anime, Grave of the Fireflies is a great war movie, period. It could/should air on the History Channel. If anything, having Grave of the Fireflies as one's first anime can help dispell the sometimes negative perceptions people have of anime in general.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Dagwood wrote:

I think it depends. If someone is more into sad and quite movies, why not show Grave of Fireflies? It doesn't contain too much stuff that an anime newbie couldn't understand and it's quite good IMHO.
Not everyone likes action and blood (refering to remember love's second suggestion).

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust really isn't all action and blood. There's mystery, romance, and love, hate.I'd even go far and say there is even racism in it. (I'm talking about the part where D is getting kicked out of town for what he is). In no way was I suggesting for all action and blood. I picked it because the dubbing is good, graphics to most people are outstanding, and for it's good storytelling and great character developement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
smutchi wrote:
Dagwood wrote:

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust really isn't all action and blood. There's mystery, romance, and love, hate.I'd even go far and say there is even racism in it. (I'm talking about the part where D is getting kicked out of town for what he is). In no way was I suggesting for all action and blood. I picked it because the dubbing is good, graphics to most people are outstanding, and for it's good storytelling and great character developement.

I'm not really the type to go for action/blood/gothic type anime, and highly doubted that I would like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust ( I watched it cause I was outvoted by my friends), but I have to say that to my surprise I really enjoyed it, mainly for all the reasons Remember Love said. In addition it had one of the funniest ending lines ever in a dub (I don't know if the same line was in the sub), I think it went something like this: spoiler[ D's hand (forgot his name) says to D: "You're not a bad person...you just dress bad."]. I found that line to be hilarious in this type of anime.
Berselius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
The words are permanently seered into my mind: spoiler["Well look at that. Your not that bad after all.....you just dress bad."] Yes i agree it is possibly one of the most awesome things i have ever heard from an anime.

Last edited by Berselius on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Berselius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Darn, some error occured and my message was posted twice. I can only edit it. the thing on the bottom sez "You cannot delete your posts in this forum". So......yea.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Berselius wrote:
Darn, some error occured and my message was posted twice. I can only edit it. the thing on the bottom sez "You cannot delete your posts in this forum". So......yea.

Yeah that's one feature I wish alot of forums would have but oh well...Alot forums EDIT button only lasts for like 8 mins then you can no longer edit. So, that's another bummer with other forums, these forums I don't think there is a time limit for editing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1