• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Zac, were you ever a stand-up comedian or something similar?

You have a great sense of humor: the Sengoku Collection preview had me in stiches the whole way through.

that's the whole point of doing those type of reviews lawl... dear lord i couldn't even last 5 minutes into the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Should I assume Zac was being sarcastic about Sengoku Collection?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Yeah, he typically hates on anything that isn't aimed at old school anime fans or is super deep.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Yeah, he typically hates on anything that isn't aimed at old school anime fans or is super deep.

We are talking about the same guy who gave 5 to Sengoku Basara.Riiight that show was suuuper deep
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="danilo07"]
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

We are talking about the same guy who gave 5 to Sengoku Basara.Riiight that show was suuuper deep[/quote

I guess it's more like he also likes stuff that's just hella fun and interesting and doesn't involve a walking fetish doll rubbing her mammeries into the face of a dull audience surrogate
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

We are talking about the same guy who gave 5 to Sengoku Basara.Riiight that show was suuuper deep

I guess it's more like he also likes stuff that's just hella fun and interesting and doesn't involve a walking fetish doll rubbing her mammeries into the face of a dull audience surrogate

Its not like Sengoku Basara wasn't just fanservice for fujoshi... so its ok if its a bunch of character fetishes aimed at women but not guys?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Follow up question: as someone who has not seen any Lupin (I know old time anime fans are shaking their heads and muttering "kids these days" upon hearing that), would I be able to follow the new Lupin III?

It was easy enough for me, and I'm a Lupin III newbie.

Polar Bear's Cafe was very cute and relaxing. I think I'm going to show it to my mom. She'll love it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Its not like Sengoku Basara wasn't just fanservice for fujoshi... so its ok if its a bunch of character fetishes aimed at women but not guys?

Nope he did not like because character designs were handsome he loved because it was fun show,did you see action sequences in that thing its awesome
Rij

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

Speaking as a fujoshi; no it wasn't.

Check out Hiiro no Kakera if you want to see what fujoshi bait looks like. It involves a lot less yelling and testosterone.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

I guess SB had some elements that some women could fine titilating...but the ratio was extremely low, compared to a lot of fanservicy stuff aimed at guys. It's not like Masamune was constantly undressing or sticking his fundoshi clad ass in the camera.

You can see Saneda's bare abs and if you squint really hard and have an active imagination I guess you could interperate some relationships as homosexual I guess.
opn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

if that was the case he would of gave saint seiya omega a five out of five and i remember him giving deadman wonderland a four out of five (cant remember for sure so please correct me if im wrong on this)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
if that was the case he would of gave saint seiya omega a five out of five and i remember him giving deadman wonderland a four out of five (can't remember for sure so please correct me if im wrong on this)

He gave Deadman Wonderland a 4.5.

RyanSaotome wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

I think these complaints are more about you than him and what's more, your assessment isn't fair. He gave 5 to Sengoku Basara in spring of 2009, a 4.5 to Kaichō wa Maid-sama! in spring of 2010, a 3.5 to The Idolm@ster in summer of 2011 and a 4 to Phi-Brain Puzzle of God as well as Hunter x Hunter in fall of 2011. And there are probably a few other shows that he gave 3 or 3.5 to that I probably could have included. And even if his tastes skew toward depth, I can't see how that's objectionable. If we can't admire when the people who have made a series put enough thought and care into developing it so as to give it richness in ideas and characters that reward and make joyful thinking about, perhaps enough that the memory will stay with us, then what's the point of caring?

Of course, only straw men have actually said that something must be deep or that we should only watch deep things. That would be ridiculous and inhuman.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, maybe his tastes are a bit more well rounded then what I just said... I just remember the stuff he gives higher scores to are typically anime aimed at older school fans (like Lupin and Space Pirates), while he bashes anything aimed at otaku.

I'm sorry if I seem kinda confrontational about his style, but it just kind of annoying as a big fan of otaku anime. He constantly makes fun of every otaku show he can, while at least the other reviewers give the shows a chance and say why they dislike it... like his whole review for Haganai was complaining about why these shows are made instead of actually focusing on the show itself.

I should really just try to ignore the reviews he posts, since its probably just done to upset people who like those shows to begin with.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I don't think he does previews like that to upset you, or people with your tastes. If I had to guess, I'd say he does it because a lot of people find his sarcastic style amusing. And also, he probably does it to avoid being repetitive. When he watches Otaku-geared show Y, and has the exact same complaints about it as he did Otaku-geared shows A-X, doing a more "normal" preview probably starts to look a bit pointless. So rather than write "see my preview for these 50 earlier shows", he comes up with something that can at least make some people laugh.

But you're probably right about one thing, you should maybe just avoid his previews from now on. I don't think he's going to change his style anytime soon, and considering his tastes are apparently quite different from yours, you'll likely to just keep on getting annoyed by him.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts on some of the new anime shows:

1."Saint Seiya Omega:"If you're among the few "Saint Seiya" fans in America,I've got good news for you,they've got a sequel to the original series called "Saint Seiya Omega." If you're thinking that it's going to come to America anytime soon,I very much doubt it. The original "Saint Seiya" bombed when it came here and nothing that DIC or ADV could do to make it any more popular here could work. I doubt that it's going to come here and I'd be very surprised if it became popular here,seeing that the original series sank like a stone in America. If ADV did anything good for the series,it kept it's original theme song,which was pretty good. So,if you're waiting for "Saint Seiya Omega" to come to America,I doubt that will happen.

2."Is This a Zombie? of the Dead:"I don't really have a problem with harem series. Some are good,some are bad. Since I haven't seen "Is This a Zombie?" or it's sequel series,I can't comment on it. From what I've read about it,it seems like a retread of "Rosario + Vampire" except they kept the action scenes in there. Maybe I'll see it one day,who knows?

3."Folklore from Japan:"This seems like a fascinating series. The visual style of the show is very different from what we see in typical anime. It looks like it borrowed it's style from the old "Mike,Lu,and Og" series. I hope they bring this to America. It looks like a worthwhile series that should be brought here. Even if the viewers might have to look many of the stories up on Wikipedia,it looks like a fun,interesting show that should at least be dubbed into English. I hope "Folklore from Japan" comes here. I really do.

Well,that's it for now. I'll be back if there are more interesting shows. So long for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 69