• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Sun

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I recently read Black Sun. This is my first time reading manga, I have to say the plotline shocked me to the core, especially the explicit pictures. How many feel Prince Leonard was a bit dense, in regards to presenting himself half nude to the gay General Jamal who thought he was seducing him. Some way to lose his virginity! Do you think Jamal felt remorse after getting to know him better?
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That's quite a place to start reading manga - one of the most explicit boys' love (romanticized male x male) titles available in English! It's definitely not the norm, that's for sure. I'm actually a bit curious how you came across this particular title first and why.

It's been a while since I've read the book myself. There was definitely some denseness in there, but an expected amount to keep the plot rolling along and to the parts many readers were waiting for. I'd say Jamal felt some remorse though it's a bit disappointing there's only the one volume when it feels like it leaves on a very to-be-continued note. We'll never know all for sure!
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised how docile Leonard was! I know when Jamal knocked him down, he wasn't expecting to be raped! But he could have punched him before or after when it became obvious what the lusty general wanted. The on-line book can be read at [scanlations not allowed]. It's out of print except for on-line. Yes it is controversial due to the subject of male rape. I was also surprised the Crusaders did not try to rescue their commander at the camp when he was whisked away by Jamal. I know both troops were surprised by Jamal's actions. They probably did not even know he was gay considering the time period,Let alone watch two guys have violent sexual relations!
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
It's been awhile since I read this book, but I think the rape scene was more about humiliation than sex. Leonard's forces had just been defeated.

Also, I could be wrong as I'm not history expert, but I don't think homosexuality was seen as that shocking back in the day. especially in places without women. I don't think they even saw it as homosexuality but more like desperate measures call for desperate times.

Finally, this book is still in print. A quick Amazon search shows it still for sale and in stock. It's even available digitally on DMP's eManga site. There's really no excuse to be reading this from a scanlation site.
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I should have stated that the book may not be available in bookstores anymore. My friend recently went to a Barnes and Nobles store to glance at the book. It is available on-line. I could be wrong, the clerk told her it was out of print, but other book stores might carry it.

Yes, during the time period of the book, homosexual relations was accepted in Turkey and India before Christian influence. In some ancient art, it was celebrated. I pride myself in being tolerant of a person's romantic life. In addition, in ancient Spartan society and others, gay rape was a form of degrading the opponent in war, it made him feminine in a way.

I think I read that originally Jamal did want to degrade Leonard when he first attacked him, but then began to like him. I can imagine both troops went WTH when it was announced the siege was over. If only the ones that weren't present at the attack knew the real reason. I wonder how Maxim explained what happened to his clueless army buddies. He saw the sordid thing happen before his eyes. Were you shocked when Sir Francis attacked Leonard. I was, it apppears he was a closet case. In Europe you were hanged for engaging in sodomy. Leonard needed karate lessons! Hopefully he will be a stronger person that refuses to take crap off anyone. Maybe Sir Francis hated the fact a Turkish man "touched" his friend like that.
Issac's struggle with his bisexuality was also an interesting plot line.
That's all for now.
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Pretend you were the author of this fiction. How you write the sequel plot? Would you have Sir Francis punished for attacking Leonard in jail? Should Jamal have faced a stiffer punishment for raping and forcing sexual servitude from the knight and neglecting his military duties.

Would Leonard return to Europe or stay in Turkey to evaluate his confused feelings about his attacker Jamal. Decide if he is still interested in women after engaging in homosexual relations. Personally I think it should be written that once he discovers he is alive, Jamal should apologize to the knight for his brutal lustful behavior towards him.

Whether Leoanard wants to fully forgive him and carry on their relationship is optional. He could forgive and move on with his life. Considering this is fantasy manga, anything is possible. If a sequel should occur, I hope it gives a little attention to his family in Europe, I wonder how they reacted to the news of what happened to their beloved Leonard? Was Leonard of German, Flemish , or English descent. His name sounds German.
ChillyIce#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read Black Sun 2, it was released last year. Do Jamal and Leonard reunite. Does he tell anyone about Sir Francis raping him in prison?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
chillyice wrote:
Has anyone read Black Sun 2, it was released last year. Do Jamal and Leonard reunite. Does he tell anyone about Sir Francis raping him in prison?
I don't think I'm venturing into spoiler territory when I say, hey, it's a BL manga, there's probably gonna be a happy ending in every sense of the phrase (for those who survive, at least). Most BL stories don't end in tragedies, at least not for the main couple.

Okay, real spoiler time: spoiler[Yes, Leonard & Jamal live happily ever after. Though I don't recall if Leonard specifically tells anyone about what happened in prison, I don't think it really matters-- Sir Francis doesn't go unpunished in the end.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1