• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell cloaking devices

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
How come in the first ghost in the shell movie major kusanagi needs to strip naked to use her thermal camoflauge (not that I'm complaining), and in the first ep. of GITS: SAC she uses it fully clothed?
animonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Also, why does kusangi look totally different in the movie and in the tv series?

MOVIE

TV SERIES

Seems to me that in the TV series she's less... well, I won't say wrinkled, cause that's obviously not true, she never was wrinkled, but in the TV series her face has less contours and such, it looks less realistic. Her skin is also darker in the TV series and her hair is a little bit more... purple.[/img]
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
The movie and the tv series use different artists......I think and so they have different takes on the original creators art work. As for the camo difference in the movies and tv series. In the movie I think their concept back then was that you can't cloak clothing and so they only cloaked the body while in the tv series the major's outfit is equipped with camo technology. Anyways thats just plain guessing. If i'm incorrect then please correct me.

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
She doesn't strip naked, she's wearing a skintone body suit of some kind. You can see seams down her legs, and the collar around her neck.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well..........you still see her nude. He asked why she appears nude in the movie yet clothed in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
animonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I know the real reason why. It's because, while japan can show much more stuff on TV than we can here, they still can't show full frontal nudity on television (I think, dont flame me if I'm wrong). I was just wondering if they had a logical explanation. Also, are the english voice actors from the movie and tv show the same?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thats hard to say for me at the moment. I saw the movie 2 years ago and just started the tv series recently. Both are licensed by Bandai (I believe) and so its possible they could have used the same dubbing group that did the movie for the tv series but if my memory serves me correctly the voices are different.

"Believe it!" - Naruto

- IchigoK90
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
From a tactical standpoint, the Major stripping to the bare bones in the movie actually allows her to be more mobile than be saddled with uneeded equipment. To have such gear may also give away positions withunneed noise, a/or may compromise the integrity of the Therm-Optic fibres. spoiler[In fact, during the whole Crab-Tank battle scence, the Major, finding out that her Seburo C-25A with the kit was ineffective, she makes the descision to storm the tank, and she does this by stripping her outfit off and going naked. Notice that the tank has to search for the major and by the time the tank finds her, she is leaping above him.]

However, in GITS: SAC, since it's an alternate timeline, it could be argued that Therm-Optics have advanced abit a/or are created differently and allows the user to wear gear without revealing their location (or judging by the gear they wear, it could be careful placement and selection).

You might wanna check the links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_camouflage
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
I know the real reason why. It's because, while japan can show much more stuff on TV than we can here, they still can't show full frontal nudity on television (I think, don't flame me if I'm wrong). I was just wondering if they had a logical explanation. Also, are the english voice actors from the movie and tv show the same?

If you know the answer, why did you ask?

IchigoK90 wrote:
Thats hard to say for me at the moment. I saw the movie 2 years ago and just started the tv series recently. Both are licensed by Bandai (I believe) and so its possible they could have used the same dubbing group that did the movie for the tv series but if my memory serves me correctly the voices are different.

Uh, no, the first movie is licensed by Manga. The TV series is licensed by Manga and Bandai (collaboration). All the voices are different except for Aramaki and Batou. The new voices aren't new to dubs, just to the GitS characters.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
geeze, will you both just lay off of each other?

animonkey wrote:
Also, why does kusangi look totally different in the movie and in the tv series?

I beleive that one is a prequel of the other. I want to say that the movie comes chronologically before the the T.V. series, but I'm not sure
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:

I beleive that one is a prequel of the other. I want to say that the movie comes chronologically before the the T.V. series, but I'm not sure

While the series does happen after the movie, the series occurs in an alternate timeline. The events of the movie never occured in the series timeline.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
I can't figure out why you guys are making a big deal as to why the Motokos don't look alike. Different crews did the TV and the movie, and they had different ideas how to portray the characters.

I read somewhere GITS:SAC occurs in a different reality than GITS the movie, so that may account for the differences in technology. This also sort of explains the whole Fuchikoma/Tachikoma thing.

Anyway here's my theory on why Makoto goes naked stealth in the movie ... other than the "gotta show the boobies to please the fans" reason.

DISCLAIMER: I have not read the manga, so everything below is pure speculation.

There were two ways thermoptic camouflage was used in the movie. One of the ways was like a poncho worn over the clothes, like one of the bad guys and the other way was to have it built in like the major.

She's a cyborg so her body is capable of having thermoptic camouflage with the exception of the head. Her hair may have the functonality, but there were too many other components inside the head to fit thermoptic camouflage. Therefore, major has to wear a mask to hide her head. Since here body can be invisible, and her clothes cannot, she has to be naked when going stealth.

Mamoru Oshii seemed to have wanted the major to appear human, but made it a point to show the audience that she is not. Her thermoptic camo skin was one of these instances. Another was her expressionless eyes. It sort of contributes the "am I really alive" vibe that she had throughout the movie.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Regarding the different looks of Motoko's face ... in the GitS:SAC interviews on the DVDs, one of the animators says that they made a conscious decision to give her a younger appearance in the TV show. The movie version, meanwhile, is truer to the manga character design.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
Since the movies and the series take place in alternate universes they don't have to have the same technology or character designs. The events of the films have no bearing on the events of Stand Alone Complex, and vice versa. They're just two different incarnations of the same source material like the fox X-Men series has no relation to the recent films aside from some of the same characters but they're both inspired by the Marvel comics from which they borrowed.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
They're just two different incarnations of the same source material like the fox X-Men series has no relation to the recent films aside from some of the same characters but they're both inspired by the Marvel comics from which they borrowed.

And the drastic uniform change!!

Goodbye Tigershark Duds, hello Urban SWAT Uniforms!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1