• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
trouble getting subtiiles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_maddY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
i've been trying to get some anime subtitles, but somehow i can't find any reasonable site, only websites selling subs (WTF?) or fake websites and similar junk. actually, i found some... in polnish, russian or hungarian :/
can somebody give me some links to good (means functioning with not just 5 titles) animesubsites?

arigato gozaimashita!! Smile
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
1. This is sort of against the rules, because you'd either be obtaining an unauthorized translation, or an unauthorized copy of official translations.

2. What Anime are you refering to? Is it something licensed within the US, or something else?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So wait, are you looking for online retailers or download sites? I can't quite tell from your message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_maddY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
what? unauthorized copy?? lol Smile
omg is everything in america "law" protected? i'm not talking about robbing subs made by some company for dvd realeses or tv broadcasting. there must be tons of subs made by fans, i just didn't found any yet Sad (actually i was searching only for about 5min, then i got bored Smile its much more comfortable to ask someone who knows Smile )
and dont' tell me people may not sit down and write their own subtitles if they want to :/ unofficial doesn't mean illegal
i would be pleased if someone could help me, i really don't have the time to spend hours googleing the web (i spent 5min, and if u don't find what u were searching for within 5 minutes, it'll surely take u the whole day Wink )
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
_maddY wrote:
omg is everything in america "law" protected? i'm not talking about robbing subs made by some company for dvd realeses or tv broadcasting. there must be tons of subs made by fans, i just didn't found any yet

Are you talking about fansubs? Where a group take a show from japan and then adds subtitles to it. Because if you are asking for downloads to a show for a fansub that is consider illegal here on these forums
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Edit: I was trying to decipher what he was talking about, and I accidently hit submit, so I needed to finish my post.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
_maddY wrote:
omg is everything in america "law" protected? i'm not talking about robbing subs made by some company for dvd realeses or tv broadcasting. there must be tons of subs made by fans, i just didn't found any yet Sad (actually i was searching only for about 5min, then i got bored Smile its much more comfortable to ask someone who knows Smile )
and don't' tell me people may not sit down and write their own subtitles if they want to :/ unofficial doesn't mean illegal
i would be pleased if someone could help me, i really don't have the time to spend hours googleing the web (i spent 5min, and if u don't find what u were searching for within 5 minutes, it'll surely take u the whole day Wink )

Regardless, a translation created by a fan is still not endorsed by the Japanese licensor and therefore it is not official, but still in some kind of distribution, therefore illegal (weather it is immoral or not is entirely up to the person, I don't mind them since I watch R2 DVDs which do not have english subs in the first place).

Are you asking for just scripts, fansubs, or timed DVD subtitle files? No one can help unless you are specific in your request.
pythos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Are you asking for just scripts, fansubs, or timed DVD subtitle files? No one can help unless you are specific in your request.

More like no one can help unless he/she starts using grammar and correct spelling. (BTW, there's a rule about that here too. You need to make some attempt at proper English grammar and correct spelling.) And please drop the overusage of the smilies. These things make your posts not only hard to read, but also unclear as to your meaning.

You'll find that most people here are more than happy to help those new here. But this forum has rules. Please read and abide by them. It's just common courtesy in this forum and to it's users.

Now, like Steven said, if you'll be clear about what your asking for (fansubs, translated scripts, episode summaries, etc.) we can move on to helping you.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
"No Backseat Moderating" is also a rule that should be observed Wink
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
pythos wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

More like no one can help unless he/she starts using grammar and correct spelling. (BTW, there's a rule about that here too. You need to make some attempt at proper English grammar and correct spelling.)

The person doesn't seem to be a native English speaker, so he/she should get a bit of leniency there.
pythos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd say they're most likely a native English speaker. The posts read like a text/instant message and they're are too fluid (like stream of consciousness).

The writing of non-native speakers is more broken.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

But when Nagisa's not here, someone has to do it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

And when someone makes you a moderator then please, feel free. Until then, use the report button.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

No, they don't "have" to do anything except press the Report button and keep quiet. All your backseat moderating that you claim you "have" to do in my absence does is cause me more work and cause the forums more problems in general as I have said every single other time I warned you and everyone else here to cut it the hell out.

Now I have tried waiting for this _maddY person to clarify themselves, but this thread is so far gone as it is through the actions of others that I don't see any other choice than to lock it now. This is already the second time in only a couple of weeks that I've had to lock a thread not through any fault of the original offender, but because all of you backseat moderating types so heavily converged on them that you rendered the thread utterly beyond saving. Quit it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1