• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
just learning

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
what is the difference between anime and manga?
my bf is really into this and i want to get him something great for his bd-he has cowboy beebop but i want to get him a new series for a gift??
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Manga is the japanese comic and Anime is the animation. If your boyfriend has Cowboy Bebop and enjoyed it, buy him either Samurai Champloo or The Big O.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
You could also try Trigun it is a sorta sci-fi style anime/manga a little similar to Cowboy Bebop. Also what is he more into anime (Cartoons) or manga (Comics)? Becasue luckly Trigun is in both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
You could also try Trigun it is a sorta sci-fi style anime/manga a little similar to Cowboy Bebop. Also what is he more into anime (Cartoons) or manga (Comics)? Becasue luckly Trigun is in both.

You could've said "anime (animation)" instead of "anime (cartoons)." Cartoons are for kids.

And Trigun is only one of the hundreds of titles out there that are available in both manga and anime format. Actually, most anime is based on manga.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Cartoons are for kids.

As is Anime. If you were implying that Cartoon were specifically for children, then you'd be fooling yourself. Cartoon is an appropriate term as it's generally recognised as a term for Animation, so don't get anal about it Wink

As for what can be reccomended in regards to your boyfriend, has he seen anything else? Does he enjoy or dislike any paticular series? At the moment Samurai Champloo would be a safe bet, even if it is from the director of Bebop, it still has a different feel to it (more hip-hop oriented) and doesn't yet have a boxset, so you'd have to buy individual volumes.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
Cartoons are for kids.

As is Anime. If you were implying that Cartoon were specifically for children, then you'd be fooling yourself. Cartoon is an appropriate term as it's generally recognised as a term for Animation, so don't get anal about it Wink

Exactly. As an example, look to [adult swim]'s Sunday (and other random days, when they change the schedule) lineup.

As for suggestions, I haven't exactly read it, but try the Cowboy Bebop manga. I'm not sure how similar it is to the series, but see if he likes it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I'm not sure how similar it is to the series, but see if he likes it.

Mostly, it's crap. A lot of people just pulling a bunch of poses. Bebop really does rely on the soundtrack to help it build mood and like.. appeal and junk.
pythos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
I suggest asking your boyfriend about his hobby. Tell him you'd like to know more about his interest in anime and manga.

Asking here for suggestions will get you a wide variety of titles. But this doesn't mean that he will like them. Ask him which genres he likes and what titles are on his wanted list. It's really hard to guess what other titles he might like just by knowing that he likes Bebop. (Everyone's an individual with their own tastes.)

Also, you didn't mention a budget. Some series can be rather expensive, while others are affordable. So you'll want to look for something within your budget, whether it's 1-2 DVDs or manga, or an entire series.

Of course you could always get him a gift certificate/card from a local store that carries a good selection of anime/manga. (I know some people feel these are a bit impersonal, but if you don't know what he wants, you can't go wrong with this. Plus you can make a date of it: Take him to the store to get his anime, pick up dinner on the way home, and then enjoy the show.)
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
You could've said "anime (animation)" instead of "anime (cartoons)." Cartoons are for kids.

No, Trix are for kids. Cartoons are for everyone. Anime is a cartoon. I mean what do you think shizznick like South Park is, a reality show? Come on, now. Confused
xxsonicfactorxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Anything with blood, guts, and violence always catches my eye. Laughing

Just kidding for the most part Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1