• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the Difference between ADV's Thin-Packs...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
and ADV's regular DVD cases?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
and ADV's regular DVD cases?

The Thinpack releases are on less discs and forgo the extras present in ADV's single discs. Ultimatly there's no difference between them when you take the show into consideration, and ADV's extras generally aren't worth it (however, you won't get the Azumanga Daioh movie on the Azumanga Daioh set, as that's considered an extra).

Hope that helps!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Thinpak cases are much thinner than regular DVD cases. Bandai used them for the Zeta Gundam boxset. FOX uses them for their Family Guy DVDs.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
(however, you won't get the Azumanga Daioh movie on the Azumanga Daioh set, as that's considered an extra).

Yeah, I used to be staunchly against ADV's method of doing thinpacks because of the lack of extras, but I've since lightened up a bit. They're much, much cheaper than a standard box set, and as Steven said, ADV's extras usually aren't worth it. However, I should still suggest that for series like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga or such, where the extras genuinely add to the overall vieweing experience of the series, that you avoid thinpacks and actually go for the individual releases or (if applicable) the full box sets. it's worth the extra money to actually be able to enjoy the show a little bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid qustion but will the NGE platinum commentary tracks be in the the thin pack realeased in november because that is mainley the reason why i would get it and besides the new and improved sound and picture.

Last edited by coolGAL on Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
(however, you won't get the Azumanga Daioh movie on the Azumanga Daioh set, as that's considered an extra).

Yeah, I used to be staunchly against ADV's method of doing thinpacks because of the lack of extras, but I've since lightened up a bit. They're much, much cheaper than a standard box set, and as Steven said, ADV's extras usually aren't worth it. However, I should still suggest that for series like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga or such, where the extras genuinely add to the overall vieweing experience of the series, that you avoid thinpacks and actually go for the individual releases or (if applicable) the full box sets. it's worth the extra money to actually be able to enjoy the show a little bit more.

Well, to be completely honest with Azumanga, the movie is only "so-so", a slightly better aniamted widescreen super-recap. The booklets only contain things like character sketches and creator comments which are fairly vague and such. The Excel Saga box does keep everything, though (but then again it isn't thinpack).

(edit: it's doubtful full-boxsets will come out as these thinpacks are basically an answer to a market where shelf space is valuable, and anime overall... isn't. well, not as valuable as some people thought it would be. )
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid qustion but will the NGE platinum commentary tracks be in the the thin pack realeased in november because that is mainley the reason why i would get it and besides the new and improved sound and picture.

I'm not sure about the commentary, but I wouldn't buy the thinpack if I were you. The little booklets that come with the Platinum DVDs won't come with it, and they were great. On top of that, I doubt if most of the extras will make it in. It's worth shelling out the cash to buy the individual DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
coolGAL wrote:

I'm not sure about the commentary, but I wouldn't buy the thinpack if I were you. The little booklets that come with the Platinum DVDs won't come with it, and they were great. On top of that, I doubt if most of the extras will make it in. It's worth shelling out the cash to buy the individual DVDs.
Cool Smile thanks for the replie now i can save my money thank you so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:53 am Reply with quote
I think I've seen that the NGE Platinum collection will still be released on 7 discs as a box set, so maybe there's a chance it will be intact. But generally, 24-26 episode series get put on 5 discs, 12-13 episode series go on 3 discs, no extras aside from a few ADV previews. With Angelic Layer, the only losses are the voice actor commentaries, unless you count creditless open/endings. Luckily, RahXephon and Full Metal Panic! (1st Season) were released in a thinpak in original 7-disc format, so the only losses there are the disc inserts/liner notes, which in the case of FMP are actually kind of cool.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:13 am Reply with quote
The Platinum Thinpack will be six discs, so it'll be extra-less Smile
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
I still dont get why? seems to me it would cost more to remaster the master dvd to press the new extraless dvd then the amount of money they would make vs just simply repacking the old dvds into a thin pack or a brick. Whatever I guess someone at adv did the math and figured it was worth it.
Dont really care about the extra's on anime dvds most are worthless to me anyway. I dont care about dub actor commentarys and such.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I still don't get why? seems to me it would cost more to remaster the master dvd to press the new extraless dvd then the amount of money they would make vs just simply repacking the old dvds into a thin pack or a brick. Whatever I guess someone at adv did the math and figured it was worth it.
don't really care about the extra's on anime dvds most are worthless to me anyway. I don't care about dub actor commentarys and such.

It takes one guy to remaster the DVD and the machine will pressed and package it everything. As oppose to seval hundred workers reopenning the old package and put the disc in new package, it's time consuming and not cost efficient.

Manual labor vs Machine.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Upcoming Kino's Journey thinpak- every cent worth it. The regular DVD's didn't have any extras beside the usual production art and textless opening/closing so you don't miss much there.

But Rahxephon and Magical Shopping Arcade regular DVD's are really packed with a ton of extras worth paying the price for. And those booklets in each of them were a lot of fun too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Shoot, I'll definitely be buying the original Platinum release then.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Shoot, I'll definitely be buying the original Platinum release then.

The booklets, despite what people might say, really aren't very important and don't add much, atleast I thought anyway. the commentaries are barely interesting (the first one with matt Greenfeild gives some nice insight onto adapting stuff into English and how the Japanese can be a bit of a hurdle, but the rest are just pretty useless), and the animaics are well... boring, mostly, unless you're hardcore into those things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2