• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
Okay,I'll admit it.I am new to gundam and had a doubt.How many gundam series are there and could you name them?And i was about to pick up Gundam SEED but had my doubts.Do i need to be a regular to gundam to understand gundam SEED?And is it better than Crono Crusade?(Asking for suggestions cause i am broke here and can't decide)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
soulless_mariuno wrote:
And is it better than Crono Crusade?

They're...completely different. Both in content and the tone of the story.

Anyway, the Gundam universe is comprised of six separate alternate universes that operate almost entirely independent from one-another, and you do not need to have seen one to understand the other. The main one, in which the majority of Gundam anime take place, is called the Universal Century, and naturally is the setting of the original Gundam series, as well. The other five alternate universes independent of the UC are typically only comprised of one, maybe two series at the most, and as stated, do not necessarily require viewing UC Gundam to understand, as one does not have any impact on the other.

For ease of reference, I've jotted down most of the current Gundam anime, organised by timeline, as well as their chronological order within that timeline. The numbers in parenthesis are the years they were produced, followed by the starting years they take place within the timeline.

Universal Century

Main Timeline
The main timeline is basically the central chronology of events within the Universal Century. It's the core part of this timeline, directed entirely by Yoshiyuki Tomino and for the most part, following many of Gundam's most key characters, such as Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, & Kamille Bidan.

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (1985, UC0087)
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (1986, UC0088)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (1988, UC0093)
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (1991, UC0123)
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (1993, UC0153)

Sidestories
The sidestories to the Universal Century are essentially what take place during the early wars of the series, away from the events of the main timeline. They are not essential to understanding what goes on in the main story, but help to further flesh out events happening elsewhere.

Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One-Year War (2004, Jan. UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1995, circa Oct. UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, Dec. UC00079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (1991, UC0083)

Future Century
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994, FC60)

After Colony
New MS Report Gundam Wing (1995, AC195)
New MS Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (1997, AC196)

After War
After War Gundam X (1996, AW0015)

Correct Century
Turn-A Gundam (1999, CC2345)

Cosmic Era
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002, C.E.71)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (2004, C.E.73)

Compilations
Compilations are essentially retellings of prior Gundam stories that compress the events into a shorter digest form, in order to spare fans from having to down an entire 50-something episode series, provide an alternate viewpoint on the story, throw in a few extra scenes, make an extra buck, etc. Some of them, like the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy and 08th MS Team's Miller's Report, turn out quite well, while others, like Gundam SEED's Special Editions and Gundam 0083's The Last Blitz of Zeon, leave a little bit of something to be desired.

Mobile Suit Gundam I (1981, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow (1981, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space (1982, UC0079)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Last Blitz of Zeon (1992, UC0083)
New MS Report Gundam Wing: Operation Meteor (1996, AC195)
New MS Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Special Edition (1998, AC196)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team: Miller's Report (1998, UC0079)
Turn-A Gundam I: Earth Light (2002, CC2345)
Turn-A Gundam II: Moonlight Butterfly (2002, CC2345)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Special Edition (2003, C.E.71)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny -EDITED- (2005, C.E.73)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam I: Heirs to the Stars (2005, UC0087)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam II: Lovers (2005, UC0087)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam III: [title unknown] (2006, UC0087)

A note on Gundam SEED Destiny -EDITED-, it was a special TV episode independent of the actual series meant to update newcomers to the series on what had happened in the first 15-ish episodes. It's unsure if there was only meant to be one, or if a series was planned that was later scrapped, as no more -EDITED- specials have appeared since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Also consult the Book Gundam: Official Guide. However, the book has no information on recent Gundam stuff like Gundam SEED or Mobile Suit Gundam Ecole Du Ciel.

And don't get G-Savior. It has been completely disowned by most of the Fandom.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
soulless_mariuno wrote:
And is it better than Crono Crusade?

They're...completely different. Both in content and the tone of the story.

I agree with you on that, Chrono Crusade is an extremely satify anime to watch, but your looking at two different types of anime. And not only that it's more of an opinion as to whetever Chrono (yes CHRONO) Crusade is any good at all, like wise there are many very satifying Gundam series that were made.......and there some that were not like by others please fill in the series that you dislike here ___________.
So here what I say to you, if you want more of a political filled drama, that has really cool robot try Mobile Suit Gundam. If you want less political drama and lots of Gundams try Gundam Seed, Seed also has been called a clone of the original series so there are some similar aspects to the story. But if you are looking for a story of companions in search of a lost one and dealing with pre WWI era and demons go with Chrono Crusade. Or better yet read some reviews on the first DVD's of each of these series for a better understanding.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Not only by fans, but I heard Tomino disowned it as well.

Anyway, I do reccomend the Gundam games as well to strenghten your love for Gundam. There are some side stories that made it in the form of video games. Such as Blue Destiny on the Sega Saturn and Rise from the Ashes on Dreamcast. Other such side story games are Zeonic Front on PlayStation 2. I also reccomend Gundam vs. Z Gundam for PS2. I know it's out on GC in Japan, but it comes to America, it could be a fun 4 player game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
Over 40 series, OAVs, and movies in all.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
Quote:

Bandai disowned it as well.
GospelX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ParaPara, just so you know, Gundam vs. Z Gundam is out in the US for the PS2. No four-player option, but that's probably for the better.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Avoid the Cosmic Era if you want to keep your brain wholly intact.

ParaParaJMo wrote:

Isn't there a feature on the Victory Gundam DVDs called "Don't Buy This!" hosted & presented by Tomino?
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
GospelX wrote:
ParaPara, just so you know, Gundam vs. Z Gundam is out in the US for the PS2. No four-player option, but that's probably for the better.

Yeah, I have it along with the Japanese version. But the GC version has 4 players.

Kind of interesting that the American version has the original voices in the old Gundam series and combine it with the new Z Gundam ones.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't Judau & Puru have English Voices as well?
GospelX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
They had the rights to the old voice samples but they didn't hire the actors again for Zeta. It's really interesting how they blend them all together like they do. (Play through a timeline featuring Char in the Zeta series and every now and then he'll bust out a Quatro line. Good stuff.) Judau and Puru do indeed have English actors, and I can't say they're particularly bad. Still, the game doesn't really need a 4-player option. That sort of thing isn't good for graphic intense games, especially when you don't have a huge television at your disposal. I already dislike the amount of space given for a two-player game, so half that size would not be very pleasant for me.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I guess I did change the discussion to games a bit too much. Anyway, there are some good Gundam games that do follow the story lines very well. My overall favorite Gundam game is Gihren's Greed Blood of Zeon. It's a strategy game where you can be either the Zeon or Federation an you have to win the war. You can also steal enemy plans and have the Zeeks make their own Gundams.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Correction: you'll have Char Aznable kitbash Amuro's Gundam. Wink
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I never got around to having the red Gundam made for Char sadly. But I heard you can starting from the PSX version. I heard the PS2 version has new CG scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2