• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Western cartoons being made into anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:28 am Reply with quote
With the Ninja Turtles anime, and now the Powerpuff Girls anime, it's only a matter of time until we get a...

JAN SVANKMAJER ANIME!

http://www.illumin.co.uk/svank/films/faust/faust2.jpg

Yee-haw! That'd rock!
Wouldn't it just?
milky joe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
jamie and his magic torch anime?
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
MEGAS as done by GANIAX would be the greatest thing to ever exist on this earth.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
MonkeyFunk wrote:
...it's only a matter of time until we get a...

JAN SVANKMAJER ANIME!

I always thought the opening for Honey and Clover was rather Svankmajer-ish. But I doubt I'd ever see anything as subversive, dark, and bizarre as Svankmajer in mainstream anime. Although I'd LOVE to see an attempted remake of Death of Stalinism in Bohemia, just to see if someone else could pull it off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:
MEGAS as done by GANIAX would be the greatest thing to ever exist on this earth.

A big bold LOL to that. Laughing
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Just wait till we get some old-school Disney bastardization.

Uncle Scrooge-san, Houie, Douie, and Louie travel through space in a Mickeyzoid, working to save the earth from parasites suspicouslly shaped like forgotten Warner Brothers characters!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
How about Japanese anime versions of Batman, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones and all of the Disney's classics while we're at it? Blow the lid off the whole animation industry!

No, I just thought of it:

A Teen Titans anime Cool.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
No the sickest thing ever would be Spongebob Square Pants. Not joking, Patrick Star is my favourite character of all american cartoons other than maybe Sheen from Jimmy Neutron. If you're all wondering why i'm mention kid shows its cause I watch them with my little sisters and got hooked on those two series. Sheen is the Otaku of american cartoons, thats so cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
How about Japanese anime versions of Batman, Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones and all of the Disney's classics while we're at it? Blow the lid off the whole animation industry!

I think a TEEN TITANS anime can be possible...the character development is great and the studio can develop an ongoing storyline for the characters to follow...now cartoons like Dexter and Courage would never be made into anime...but I can see Teen Titans becoming one yes...if it's not one already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

You sick bastard. >=/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
How about Japanese anime versions of Batman,

If you want to watch an anime of Batman, watch The Big O. It's the exact same thing. Laughing

Also, there is a Batman manga lurking around known as "Batman: Child of Dreams". Kia Asama (the guy who did Nadesico) made it. It's very good.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I say leave them be. After all, how many times do people kick and scream when anime is redone outside Japan in a non-anime format? I can't think of any western cartoons I'd want to see as anime, because they just wouldn't really be what they were anymore as such a change would likely come with story and art alterations from the originals. With all the purist arguments that are seen it's rather ironic to see such a polarity shift which really seems centered in bias rather than any true concept of purity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Usagi Yojimbo Anime would be good, and not to mention Marvels Live wires. The reason I chose these is because it wouldn't have a out of the norm feel.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo does the new G.I. Joe Sigma 6, there's been numerous Transformers anime series done for Japan...hell Gonzo's even supposedly working on a Witchblade anime, thought I've yet to see anything come out of that. I'm all for it actually. It gives things a new twist on a familiar product. Not to say that anything would work but, certain things yeah. I think an actual Teen Titans anime would be great as long as they base it off of the original comics and not the cartoon that's on now. Even if they did it based off the current incarnation of the comics, that'd be just fine as long as they do the character designs right and the storyline follows pretty much the same pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Inu_Yasha_jr. wrote:
I think a TEEN TITANS anime can be possible...the character development is great and the studio can develop an ongoing storyline for the characters to follow...now cartoons like Dexter and Courage would never be made into anime...but I can see Teen Titans becoming one yes...if it's not one already.

Actually I was being sort or sarcastic because everyone talks about an Japanese Anime version of American stuff, while I never seem to hear that it'd be great to make American versions of Japanese stuff. I've even seen anime translations of things like Scooby Doo (which wasn't bad)!

Shiki MSHTS wrote:

You sick bastard. >=/

I love my job Twisted Evil

Mugen The Great wrote:
If you want to watch an anime of Batman, watch The Big O. It's the exact same thing. Laughing

Also, there is a Batman manga lurking around known as "Batman: Child of Dreams". Kia Asama (the guy who did Nadesico) made it. It's very good.

Yeah I've seen the Big O. I felt it was awesome, though many people seem to hate the ending (also, there's an active push on the adultswim.com Forums and other sites for a third season). I won't hold my breath on finding the manga you speak of, but thanks for the heads up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2