• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Imported Video Game.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
First off, I apologize that this isn't a thought-provoking, opinionated thread that'll have everyone posting.

It's just a question that I have no other place I know to go, to get the answer. So hopefully this section is the right one, and hopefully a few of you can help me out.

I'm purchasing an imported game (no english translations at all) for gamecube, and that device that allows you to play it on an American gamecube. It's not a huge, epic RPG game where written words and orders need to be understood to play the game. I can understand some of what they'd be saying, and at least most of it to get the general message, but there are times when I need to read the Japanese. And I won't do that.

I've heard there are websites that give you directions. Example: When you go to the shop, (name) asks you what you'd like. Select option number two to do this and that, etc.

Or some guide like that anyway.

If you could find me one of those for the game 'Naruto 2' (it has a secondary title beneath that, but it's very differently spelled and differently translated in each site).

Say anything else you think would be of any help, as well. Thanks for the help!

-Sii
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Did you try this site?
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
You should have seen my face when I opened that.

Uh, I have, but none of my searches have worked. I was just asking around here because since the game is relating to an insanely popular anime, I thought a few of you would know right away.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
GameFAQs is basically the best site for all sorts of FAQs/Translation guides. I recently picked up Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 must say it's a great game, and entirely playable with the guides. There's only the Gekitou Ninja Taisen series released for GameCube, so you must be talking about the 2nd in the series.

Complete list of Naruto games if anyone is interested.

Besides GameFAQs, there are some great printable manuals someone created for all 3 in the series: Naruto GNT Translation Manuals
Siilent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, patch! You're so helpful. xB

I'll definately use that when the game comes in.

I'm deciding to buy the second one because the reviews for it praise it unconditionally, whereas there are, apparently, a few problems with the third one. If you just look up Naruto 3 reviews, you'll probably find the ones I read.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
You deffinitely should have gotten Naruto 3, not Naruto 2. Three is everything two is, plus more characters (Jiraiya, Temari, Ten Ten, Tsunade, Chouji, Shino, Itachi, Sandaime), three on three "Capcom vs."-esc battle mode, and more.

Better yet, wait a few months, because Naruto 4 is right around the corner (November-ish I think?), and will include significant upgrades to several characters, plus the Sound Four, and probably more.

It is a GREAT series though. Probably the best game made of an anime series ever.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
You deffinitely should have gotten Naruto 3, not Naruto 2. Three is everything two is, plus more characters (Jiraiya, Temari, Ten Ten, Tsunade, Chouji, Shino, Itachi, Sandaime), three on three "Capcom vs."-esc battle mode, and more.

Better yet, wait a few months, because Naruto 4 is right around the corner (November-ish I think?), and will include significant upgrades to several characters, plus the Sound Four, and probably more.

It is a GREAT series though. Probably the best game made of an anime series ever.

Yeah, was going to say the same. Smile There were some videos of NGT4 recently posted on Play-Asia taken from Tokyo Game Show 2005 if you haven't seen them already.
Siilent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I heard from many sources on the internet that the third one was a disapointment, and that although the graphics were improved, many things were worse than before.

I've played the game a little, only a little through Story Mode and a little through that mode where you battle people one by one, to earn money.

The japanese writing scrolling soundlessly down the screen irritates me. Of course, there's nothing I can do about it. I only wish they'd came out with word-translations, while keeping the voices.

That still doesn't change the fact that I love the game so far. And I'm glad to know that the fourth game is coming out soon. I'll be looking forward to it.
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Don't you think all games are like that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The japanese writing scrolling soundlessly down the screen irritates me. Of course, there's nothing I can do about it. I only wish they'd came out with word-translations, while keeping the voices.

Are you talking about the menu? It should have Sakura reading off the names of the options. If you listen, you can generally learn which ones are which, same with the text. You don't need to learn Japanese, just pattern recognition.

Quote:
Don't you think all games are like that?

Most, yeah. I honestly didn't see any negative changes from 2 to 3. I've heard 3 is a bit slower paced, and maybe it is, but if it is it never bothered me. I've heard 4 is even slower, but the videos I've seen look fine, and I totally want Shikamaru's Neck Bind jutsu.

Anyways, just work your way towards Shadow Mode and then go to town on it with Shikamaru, you should do fine.
Siilent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no, I can listen to the menu easily. I'm talking about in Story Mode, before a battle. There's a huge paragraph explaining the scene or something.

I'm basically pointing out that without any vocal speech to listen to, I'm hopeless when it comes to understanding. I wish they'd subtitle it.

Argh, I'm having issues defeating Gaara in Story Mode at the moment. If I really, really wanted to, I could probably beat him. I think it's just too hard beating up your favourite character, so it's proving to be that much more difficult./random
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
So basically you want someone to give you a Japanese-English dictionary right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Eh, most of the story mode segments are from the show, except for the "special" ones you get after beating story mode, which are usually fairly easy to figure out. I think Gamefaqs has translations for them if you care though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1