• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
It has to do with anime... kinda. [Anime club ideas]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
There is no World

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
Hey, Im starting an anime club at my school (with help from a teacher).... And I would like some advice from the masters...

Ideas?

1) Good anime to watch.. you know.. at school.

2)And other stuff...

3) Anime related video games we could play?

[subject adjusted -t]
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quote
What would it be, just 1 episode a week?

What my anime club here at SU did was just showed us a bunch of different episodes and then we voted on the ones we wanted to watch. Depends on the crowd that comes. If you can, I'd say show a more upbeat anime like Azumanga Daioh and then something more serrious, like Samurai Champloo or Gunslinger Girl.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
If you're doing this in the U.S. at a middle or high school, do keep in mind that most schools have restrictions on showing R-rated content without special permission (some require parental consent). To be safe, you should probably avoid showing at school anything rated higher than 13+ and definitely nothing with nudity or foul language. (You don't want to get your sponsor teacher in trouble!)

I agree with showing a sampling of different titles the first few meetings and then having regular attendees vote on a couple of series to watch out. Azumanga Daioh is a good (and safe) choice, and Neon Genesis Evangelion (but not the movie) should play pretty well. Scrapped Princess would be a excellent choice since it is quite accessible even to new fans. Voices of a Distant Star would also be an excellent pick for high school-aged students.

Good luck with this. A couple of years ago I tried to get a group going at the high school where I teach, but couldn't generate enough sustained interest. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Mix it up like CrackerJax said (but Samurai Champloo....Serious?) Also If you can have two small rooms one for people to retreat and talk when a show is not a favorite is ideal.
I also recomend mixing up the genre and leaving some spots for less well known anime. A group I was once part of has watched shows like Princess Nine, Space Pirate Mito, Figure 17 , and Dai Guard which were massive hits with our watchers even though they are not massive comercial hits.
I kinda agree with key if you are in a high school but if you have one problamatic episode in a series, have a special meeting at someones home or depending on your circumstances, have a don't ask don't tell policy on that one episode but don't explicitly break pre stated rules.

All the best,

Nani?
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't want to say "action-based" since Gunslinger Girl isn't that, and well, I try to mention that whenever I can. I'm a bit of a fanboy for it Rolling Eyes
aflimmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
It really depends on what grade level your talking about. Is this junior high, or is it high school? There will be a big difference in tastes there. You will definately want something that appeals to the age demographic.

If you want to mix in some samurai action without a lot of blood and gore, there is always Ruroni Kenshin.

Azumanga Daioh is also a great choice. Many school kids will be able to identify with the characters and their school-related issues. It's also clean and no one should have a problem with it at school.

IMHO
milky joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
show them SPIRITED AWAY or NAUSICAA i would avoid UROSUKIDOJI unless you want to be chased out of the village like dracula or bon jovi.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I am the treasurer of a college anime club. Here are some tips for starting a club.

First, here's a description of a bad club. This is a description of my high school's anime club, which lasted for 2 weeks and was then shut down.

1) The girl running the club used a VCR. A FRICKIN' VCR. And to top it off, they were tapes of Cartoon Network stuff. Not only was most of the stuff we viewed edited (aside from Bebop and some other stuff) but it also looked and sounded like a 5th generation bootleg.

2) They only watched mainstream anime, like Bebop, Trigun, Gundam Wing, and DBZ. DBZ. Seriously, what kind of dumbass club watches Dragonball Z? And there were people complaining that AS doesn't show reruns of Bebop. Shocked

3) Nobody discussed the anime. It was just a bunch of geeky otakus staring at a screen. No girls, either, so it was a big sausage fest (not like I'd DO anything).

4) The club had no promotion. Also, the meeting times were once a week for ONE hour.

5) The teacher whose room we were using couldn't have cared less about anime. He was a complete jerk, too. Once, he threatened to make us all leave when he heard some kid call Spike a dumbass in Bebop and another time he made the club end a half hour early so he could go take care of "personal business," meaning the meeting was only 30 minutes long.

Do NOT run your club like this.

Now here's what you SHOULD do:

1) Obtain permission from distribution companies (ADV, Geneon, Bandai, etc.) to screen their shows. One advantage to this is that they will usually send you all kinds of free promotional items and DVDs to screen. Most companies have a club program, such as Anime ADVocates and FUNimation's Operation Anime.

2) Put up LOTS and LOTS of fliers. For the Fall 2005 semester, we've got tons of posters put up in every building of the campus. We will be making posters for every screening (Akira and Steamboy this week, Gantz next week, etc.) to let people know exactly what's being showed.

3) Talk to your school's administration about getting some kind of budget. This semester, my club's been given over $500, which will mainly be used to go to Anime Boston for a second time.

4) Take a vote on how the anime should be viewed (dubbed or subbed)? Do not force your audience to watch subtitles because you believe Japanese to be oh-so-holy... I mean, better, and at the same time, don't make them watch dubs because you are infatuated with Steve Blum. Laughing

5) Hold discussion in every meeting about the anime you have just viewed and the industry. Don't say "Today we're watching Elfen Lied," shut it off when it's done, and leave. There is no interaction between fans that way.

6) THIS ONE IS FOR COLLEGE CLUBS: If any members have laptops or portable DVD players, try to get them to view anime in the cafeteria or lounge as a way to advertise the club. Make sure they have fliers sitting at the edge of the table for all to see.

7) Keep an eye on all your members. We've got one guy who's VERY obnoxious and our president and VP will be keeping a close eye on him.

8) If you have a club advisor (a faculty member who represents the club) make sure he/she know what you're club is doing. Our new advisor is under the impression that we screen ALL kinds of animation (he believes anime is just our favorite type). We're going to clear this up with him so he doesn't expect us to watch Justice League or something.

Use these tips to your advantage and you'll have a good club. Remember, a high school club run by a 17-year-old Spike Spiegel fangirl does not a good club make. Very Happy
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha is a very long series so that would be a good coice, it has nothing bad and there are three movies to go with it...
Or you could show all the Gundam series, theres alot of variation there, different animation styles, and charactor roles.

just something to think about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ALL the Gundam series? Good idea, but you're gonna have to find some of the series which haven't been licensed or fansubbed (like ZZ and V). And you must decide where to start. This was the reason our ould club president did not show Gundam at all- too much to easily decide. Then, when you have them, show only the key episodes and/or the part in Turn A Gundam Episode 43 when they show the Dark History.
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
did u notice the change they made to SD Gundam
that was funny... Shocked

Anyway what about Inuyasha...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd say...

If you start with something people will kinda recognise, like Dragonball (much better than DBZ, in my opinion) and then shift into something a little more obscure, and so on and so forth, mix in a hot title or two for good measure, and you'll do fine.

I think a good way to start would be to advertise an "opening night" or some such, and show one of the Miyazaki'. I mean, people know Spirited Away, they know Mononoke, at least a little. I figure, if you start with something like that, which is also very school-friendly (particularly Spirited Away... Mononoke less so) then you can bring in a few people... Then, move deeper. Depending on the mood of the people, there's a whole host of anime out there.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
milky joe wrote:
show them SPIRITED AWAY or NAUSICAA i would avoid UROSUKIDOJI unless you want to be chased out of the village like dracula or bon jovi.

Okay, this made me laugh harder than anything I've read on these forums in a long time.

KUDOS TO YOU SIR
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
My advice would be to sample diffrent types of anime and look up info online.one good website to look up info on anime dvd's
is animeondvd.com,it's got good reviews.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
inuyasha1357 wrote:
did u notice the change they made to SD Gundam
that was funny... Shocked

Anyway what about Inuyasha...?

What the hell are you talking about? Shocked What is this change to SD Gundam that you speak of?

And someone already mentioned Inuyasha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2