• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Verizon Drops Funimation Channel from FiOS Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I have been able to preview many shows, that I have since purchased, on the Funi channel. I too wonder what FiOS means by low viewership, it would be an interesting bit of data to have. It was the only channel that I would consistantly have on all day.

As far as I know it is also the only 24/7/365 anime channel in North America. I was really looking forward to getting it again, when I get back to a FiOS service area (I really like the FiOS service). Hopefully other cable providers will continue to carry it.

According to Funi's release they're looking for a way to remain on FiOS, here's hoping they succeed.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
I believe this has more to do with cutting costs on the FIOS platform, which Verizon isn't planning on expanding anymore.

So I've heard. Then in that case, the cost-cutting must involve getting rid of any programming that Verizon would consider too niche for its customers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
I believe this has more to do with cutting costs on the FIOS platform, which Verizon isn't planning on expanding anymore.

Looks like Verizon has ran out of smaller telecommunication companies to dump its FiOS build and debt off onto (who later go bankrupt a few months later)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
There was never a show on that i wanted to watch it's all the Funi shows I don't care about and Hetaila but i own that on DVD already well most of it.
This! Sooo This!

I just got Verizon FiOS a month ago, the first channel I watched on it was FUNimation Channel - I wasn't impressed. Every show/movie on FUNimation Channel is either on my shelf or it's something I could care less about.

The channel's a graveyard for all of the anime FUNi couldn't sell to more "noteworthy" networks.
When they run shows on FUNimation Channel, they're already on DVD, Blu-ray and online legally, making the point of a TV run completely moot. If you already have it on your shelf or have the means to watch it legally online, why would you wanna watch it on TV? Confused

Last edited by Dumnerd on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Anime is now so widely available. I thought fans don't watch TV anymore. People still watch TV on their anime? Wink

gamersglory wrote:

Adult Swim Reilly! they don't do anime anymore accept on Saturday late night and that's just the old stuff they showed when they first started . Plus I don't like how they bad mouth us otaku's

Don't feel persecuted - they rag on everybody.

chefneer wrote:

According to Funi's release they're looking for a way to remain on FiOS, here's hoping they succeed.

Pay-per-channel a la carte? Laughing

Ggultra2764 wrote:
DCRavenX wrote:

So I've heard. Then in that case, the cost-cutting must involve getting rid of any programming that Verizon would consider too niche for its customers.

How much is it costing FIOS to keep one measly channel of the caliber of Funimation anyways?

Well, if they're not expanding but want to add new channels that they think would do better, then the only way to do that is to relegate the lowest performing ones. Kinda like the promotion-relegation soccery system.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
People still watch TV on their anime? Wink

we can make TV shows appear in anime? Shocked
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
My guess is they will try to remain on Verizon's VOD service, similar to how Anime Network operates. In fact, most of the operators who carry the Funi Channel only carry the VOD feed anyway. Honestly, I don't think there is enough of a market for a 24 hour anime channel in the US, especially when you don't have a major company behind it like Viacom or Time Warner. I think they should stick to VOD and online for now.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm in the same camp of "Already owns most of the stuff they aired on DVD, the rest were shows I didn't' really bother with". There were a couple of shows at the beginning I watched and was like "YAY!!" But after awhile, it was all stuff I'd already seen.

I stopped watching about a year ago, sometime after they had stopped doing those movie weekends. The movie weekends were fun, because I got to have nostalgic moments for things like Project A-Ko. When that got pretty much replaced by more weekend re-wind, I was less impressed.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
People still watch TV on their anime? Wink

we can make TV shows appear in anime? Shocked

That wasn't in Persona 4? Confused
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I've had the Funimation channel since its inception on FiOS and have watched it only rarely for a variety of reasons:

1) It was only available in SD. I can watch HD versions of most Funi shows at Hulu or YouTube over my FiOS-connected computer attached to my HDTV. I can watch Funi's competitors like Crunchyroll that way as well. A linear SD cable channel is pretty uncompetitive with HD streaming. Also the advertising on Hulu is much less intrusive and annoying than that shown on the cable channel.

2) I might have had more incentive to watch on my cable service if the programs shown on the HD version of the channel were also available on-demand. They weren't. I just checked again, and though the linear channel is still available, I can't find any complementary on-demand service in the anime/animation section. Again that makes the linear Funimation Channel an inferior competitor to watching streams.

3) It was only dubbed. I understand the need to appeal to the larger audience of dub-only viewers, but given that the channel runs 24/7 and has only a limited inventory of material to show, it wouldn't have cost them much to show the programs with both dubs and subs. Most episodes air multiple times each day; why not show at least one episode with subs? (I'm guessing English VA contracts might play a role here, but I have no evidence for this.)

For at least this anime viewer, then, having the Funimation Channel available over cable really didn't add much if anything to the options I already have available via streaming. I won't miss it.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't own FIOS nor do I get the FUNimation channel. But the only reason I'd of considered switching to FIOS was because of that channel. Now that they don't carry it anymore, I can say that I won't have to consider FIOS as a potential service upgrade anymore.

That being said, however, I don't think an anime channel can really do very well. Anime fandom is already pretty small compared to other more mainstream things. And within those small groups of anime fans lies an extremely diverse amount of opinions and preferences. So a single channel running a handful of shows will only really apply to a very small fraction of anime fans who:
1. Got the channel
2. Are available to watch the channel
3. Like the shows being broadcast on the channel
4. Don't already own the shows being broadcast on the channel.
5. Enjoy/prefer/don't mind watching dubs.

All things considered, I'm amazed it made it this far.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

3) It was only dubbed. I understand the need to appeal to the larger audience of dub-only viewers, but given that the channel runs 24/7 and has only a limited inventory of material to show, it wouldn't have cost them much to show the programs with both dubs and subs. Most episodes air multiple times each day; why not show at least one episode with subs? (I'm guessing English VA contracts might play a role here, but I have no evidence for this.)

In addition to the problems mentioned by others, such as already having the shows they aired that I was interested in, this was my biggest problem with them. Anime Network has made subtitled versions of its dubbed shows available, such as Angel Beats, and they are only VOD. I don't know why Funimation can't do it when they are running 24-7.

I can understand not running subtitled material in prime time, but there is no reason they couldn't show it late at night or at other times.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
gamersglory wrote:
Tonybaloney wrote:
That is a real shame. Funimation is about the only channel I watch besides CNN/Fox. Now I have to go back to Adult Swim I guess.

Sigh.

Adult Swim Reilly! they don't do anime anymore accept on Saturday late night and that's just the old stuff they showed when they first started . Plus I don't like how they bad mouth us otaku's

Technically, AS does air anime on the week days, but these days, it's mostly repeats and usually the time slot is filled with their shows for part.

To my knowledge, the only new episodes of anime I know of are of Bleach on Saturday, around 10:00 PM GMT and sometimes at 10:30 PM GMT as well. Truthfully, I wish the new episodes of Bleach were on at a earlier time, but I'll take what I can get, as there is very little anime on TV these days, let alone new anime episodes on AS.

Fact of the matter is, I am glad that AS still shows anime at all, as I prefer that than nothing at all.

As for AS and I quote "bad mouthing" anime fans, I have a feeling for the most part, that is meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously. Not exactly the nicest type of jokes, but I think it's fair to say AS is like that to all the genre of shows that they have on their block.

On topic though, I've been using Verizon phone service for years and this has to be the first time I've ever heard of them having any connection with anime. They fact they once (now that it's been stopped) had ties with Funimation proves to be even more interesting as well.

Sales must have been pretty low or something that around that lines from them (Verizon) to drop this service though. Makes me wonder though, if I didn't know about this service and I watch anime, I wonder what percentage of the average Verizon client knows about this though?

I'd say a very, very low percentage.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
My guess is they will try to remain on Verizon's VOD service, similar to how Anime Network operates.

They actually are not on the Verizon Fios VOD service. Also according to the FUNimation Channel's website, they only do VOD with Xfinity and Charter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sorrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
gamersglory wrote:
Tonybaloney wrote:
That is a real shame. Funimation is about the only channel I watch besides CNN/Fox. Now I have to go back to Adult Swim I guess.

Sigh.

Actually they have Kekkaishi and Durarara as well these days. Oh and FMA:B as well. But agreed they really have abandoned anime as well as anime fans by and large these days.

As for the article sadly i never even got the chance since verizon or hell ANY of the Funi carriers are operating up here in alaska.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4