• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Use of CG-does anyone like the use of CG?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Currently i'm seeing alot of anime and alot of them use cg. There are few series that actually make it look good but then there are some series where it just looks horrible or it jus doesn't blend in well with me. An example where it didn't fit in well with me was Gundam SEED. Most of the scenes with the archangel in combat didn't blendwell with the animation cels. Also I didn't like the cg in the following series/movies: Tide Line Blue, Inu Yasha: Affection Touching Across Time, Fullmetal Panic The Second Raid and other series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I like it when it fits well and isn't used a lot.

But in general, no, I don't like it. I prefer anime as just straight-up animation (no CG)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
As for Japan, only Studio Ghibli and SquareEnix have pulled off CG that I've found likeable.

As for Studio Ghibli, most people don't even realize that there's CG in their most reccent films - and that's why they did such a damn good job. They properly hid the cg and blended it in perfectly with the 2d animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
thats the kind of cg that I like - the kind that you don't know is there Anime hyper

...where is it in the new Ghibli films? Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
thats the kind of cg that I like - the kind that you don't know is there XD

...where is it in the new Ghibli films? >_<

In Howl's Moving castle, in most of the scenes were the castle is actually moving, it's cged. What they did is build a 3d model for the castle, and they covered it when hand-painted skins/textures/etc.

There's some more in Spirited Away and even a bit of CG in Princess Mononke, but I can't put my finger on the exact scenes...you'd best look in an artbook.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It's fine as long as it's pulled off properly. In some anime it is just thrown in for the sake of having it when there really isn't any need. It can look very nice if the studio has a bigger enough budget to do it properly and if it is incorporated into an anime correctly. A number of anime have used it well such as Macross Zero, Blood: The Last Vampire, Spirited Away, Steamboy, Metropolis and a number of others. It helps if the movie has a good budget and a good director.

Quote:
There's some more in Spirited Away and even a bit of CG in Princess Mononke, but I can't put my finger on the exact scenes...you'd best look in an artbook.

Off the top of my head, some of the scenes in Spirited Away include when Chihiro is running through some bushes (can't remember the exact scene, I think she is dreaming at the time) and during the train trip. Also I'm not certain but I believe near the start when they are hurtling through the woods in the car there is a little bit of CG.

Edit: Come to think of it some older anime have had some of the most impressive use of CG that I have seen. The earliest I can think of is Akira. There isn't much CG but there is some. For example the scene when the psychic children are inducing illusions onto Tetsuo: the falling Lego bricks in this scene are done with CG. It's hard to believe Akira is nearly 20 years old, the animation puts a lot of recent anime to shame.Also let’s not forget Ghost In The Shell. It was made in 1996 I think which is a long time ago now. There is some great use of GC in that movie.

Last edited by Mr Mania on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, CG is always a shortcut to do things that would be prohibatively expensive and time consuming to draw by hand. That being said, I do think that it can be really good from time to time. The most recent One Piece opening (CP9 arc), for example, includes a CG Going Merry and ocean, with hand drawn characters placed in it, and it looks beautiful, but even that level of quality is rather expensive for the interior of a series. So basically, sometimes CG is good, but generally it's mis-applied.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I like the use of CG when it doesn't contrast too much. I think GITS: SAC does an excellent job of combining CG with 2D animation. It works because the characters are drawn with such great detail that the hyper-detail of the CG seems like the best environment for them to be moving around.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I felt the use of CG in Samurai 7 was completely pointless. It would've looked nice hand drawn, but how it was, it looked like a bunch of garbage.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Also I'm not certain but I believe near the start when they are hurtling through the woods in the car there is a little bit of CG.

Ah, I remember now! When Chihiro's father is speeding through the woods, the strange statue Chihiro looks at through the window as they pass is Cged.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the worst cg blending with 2d cels was in Transformers: Cybertron though the transformers franchise is heading in the direction of mediocrity. Any other series where CG doesn't fit out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the worst CG blending with 2D animation was SD Gundam. The characters and the background were so out of shape. The only things that looked kinda good were the Gundams.
The CG in Gundam Seed didn't bother me that much (in fact, I hadn't even realized it until some of you guys mentioned it).
In terms of the best use of CG, I would have to say it was in Spirited Away. The animation was by far one of the most amazing and captivating I'd ever seen in an anime. I especially liked how the CG was used when Chihiro(sp?) was riding on the dragon's back that turned out to that girl from the temple (don't know what her name is though, I saw it in Chinese).
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
To me, I don't like CG if it's obvious that it is CG, or if it doesn't fit with the show.

On the other hand, I can enjoy, say, Gundam MS IGLOO, which is entirely CGI.

I find it hard to consider Howl's as a use of CG, because it just looks so much like cell... To me, that was a perfect example of CGI use.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
I have no issues with it so long as it looks and feels right. It's just another form of animation and another type of art. As far as action and such goes it makes it alot easier on the animators and if they can use it well to make something they may not have otherwise made as well or as detailed than more power to them in my opinion. I don't think Last Exile would have been near the show it was or it may not have even been made at all if they hadn't used CG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I just get sick of all the super sharp, totaly unnatural colors and yearn for some good old fashioned animation. I think in most cases I like the old school style, but in occasionaly CG is acceptable. But only if it fitst into the picture and can actually resemble reality to SOME degree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2