• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto on CN - Toonami Grows Up

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like CN hasn't butchered Naruto like we all thought. So far we've seen Lord Hokage smoke a pipe, Naruto say "This sucks," and...

THEY LEFT IN THE SEXY JUUTSU!

And there are honorifics present.

The kanji was left intact (except for episode titles and the paper about Naruto).

And they eat ramen, not... spaghetti.

This is awesome.

EDIT: Iruka just got stabbed by Mizuki's ninja star. No blood though.

EDIT: Wait, there's blood on his leg. Sweet.

EDIT: Wow, Naruto threatened to kill Mizuki. "Kill," not "destroy." Wait, that's not new for Toonami.

EDIT: Heh, Hokage posed like Gendo.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! THEY GOT A GIRLIE MAG!!!

EDIT: HOLY HOLY CRAP! THEY SNUCK INTO THE GIRL'S LOCKER ROOM!

Oh, and Naruto gets its own next ep promos (like Zatch Bell) featuring the music they used for the first Kenshin OP.

Last edited by Starwind Amada on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:44 pm; edited 9 times in total
RyoShin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I was all waiting for the sexy jutsu. I thought for sure that they would add in a lot more clouds or give "her" clothes.

However, I'm fairly certain Hiruka had streams of blood shoot out his nose after the transformation.

Originally, I thought they would cut out the episode where Naruto meets the Hokage's grandson (which has lots of Naruto transforming and the harem jutsu,) but with no editing to sexy no jutsu, I might be wrong.

Plus, they "we're back" clip they just showed was from that episode.

I have a few minor complaints about some voices, but nothing big so far. Looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It's PG. Naruto is Toonami's first PG show.

Anyway, I'm impressed. The only thing I didn't like was the intro. All the characters' voices are great. I knew they were gonna be good. The director is the same guy who did the Cowboy Bebop and FLC dubs. It's great that they showed Sexy no Jutsu too.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
On that note, did they create their own intro, or shorten the original?

I'll be mad if they just use their own opening... Naruto has some cool openings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
They created some rock intro. But it's pretty good, not some rap shit like 4Kids.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
bravo toonami! you actually got it right. this is the best treatment of a show i have yet to see on this block.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyoShin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the opening is good, but I'd still rather see the original. Looks like they have a different close. Perhaps they couldn't fit the original opening/closing into the time that Cartoon Network wants.

A lot of the animation comes from the original opening/closings, though.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well we will get the original op them on the uncut dvd's i can't wait. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vantos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I understand why flowing blood is eliminated, but overall, the dub has promise.

Still, those voices would take a little getting used to, but maybe it's just because I've grown accustomed to the Japanese voices.

Strangely enough, this dub feels so...approachable. Like it wants to be your friend, you know? It didn't seem like a 4Kids-esque hack job at all.

P.S.: Gotta love the feeling that Mizuki's VA put in his voice!
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It looks good thus far, though I hate what they did the opening and ending theme songs oh well. The english VA that does Naruto does a pretty good job. Keep up the good work Viz media :). I might actually watch the rest of the dub( like past episode 10 whenever they dub that).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cherry_panda24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Even though I didn't like the opening and ending I was impressed with the dub
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they actually used the "K" word.

The dub is not bad. It's not as good as the Japanese version, but it's not too far off, which is really the best that can be hoped for. The new opening isn't Rocks, but it isn't nearly as horrible as the One Piece, Zatch Bell, Groove Adventure Rave, or DBZ openings, and they used some good video in it too. I also like that it seems as though all the original background music was left intact.

Most of the voices are fine. Hinata, Shikamaru, Sakura, Ino, Third, all workable. Iruka's voice is fine, at least in lower registers, not so sure about in the higher emotional scenes.

Naruto's voice, I still don't like. It's not horrible, but it's not quite right. It's a little too "soft", a little too gender neutral. It lacks the "bite" and "growl" of the Japanese voice.

As for visual edits, weird. The Sexy Jutsu was left intact, and oddly enough a decent amount of blood was left in, but a lot of it was also edited out. Confusing.

I do wish that they'd left Kagebunshin as Kagebunshin, it just sounds cooler, like "Shoryuken" or "Hadouken".

Also, one of the comercials had a brief clip of Kakashi's voice, and it didn't seem quite right either.

Anyways, over all, it's doable. It's not a horrible dub that should be avoided, like One Piece, or even a second rate hackjob like Gash Bell, but there's certainly room for improvement.

Quote:
On that note, did they create their own intro, or shorten the original?

The audio for the opening is 100% new. The video for the opening is spliced together from segments from the first few Japanese openings.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they didn't include the ending because it wouldn't interest the target audience. Wind is great but not that exciting. They should have used the sequences from the opening with the ones from the japanese openings. The difference in animation is kind of jarring.
Also does any one wlse think that Naruto's voice is off somehow? In the middle school I attend no 12 year olds sound like that.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
Also does any one wlse think that Naruto's voice is off somehow? In the middle school I attend no 12 year olds sound like that.

I think it's too deep. Perhaps it's just me comparing it to the Japanese version, but I was expecting something higher.

Also, both me and a friend think that Naruto sounds like Luffy (from One Piece), but a bit deeper and minus annoying.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
i thought David Lucas/Steven Blum was supposed to play Kakashi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16