• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Optimus Prime Made Into Life-Size Snow Sculpture Bust

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, this figure's design resembles his look from the new Transformers Prime cartoon, which isn't an anime. Very Happy
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
That's going to be one big Optimus Prime! Shocked
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Ironically, this figure's design resembles his look from the new Transformers Prime cartoon, which isn't an anime. Very Happy

The toy line hit Japan last month and the cartoon debuts on Japanese TV in April. Oddly enough, the toy line hasn't even hit mass retail here the US yet, just the specialty shop and TRU "First Editions".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

It's animated in Japan, and ANN has covered Thundercats a few times here.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

I think he's referring to this show, which is a CG animation done by American studio, so it doesn't count as anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
It's Optimus Prime, he doesn't look all that different between formats to begin with. Well, aside from Superlink I guess when he combined with other robots.
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
No no no get it right.....it's CONVOY Very Happy
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Primus wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

I think he's referring to this show, which is a CG animation done by American studio, so it doesn't count as anime.

Transformers Prime is animated in Japan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Primus wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

Transformers Prime is animated in Japan.

I think that's just an ad/info about the Japanese release of that show. You're going to need more evidence to tell me that was made in Japan like the production crew and I didn't see ANN saying anything about Transformers Prime being a US-Japanese co-production. But Transformers Prime is done in US but I read something on Wikipedia about the CG animation.

Quote:
Digitalscape Company Limited, famous for their work on such titles as Soul Calibur III, Ninja Gaiden, and Dead or Alive Paradise, was made responsible for the CGI Animation of Transformers: Prime

But Wikipedia or it subsequent sources doesn't say that Transformers Prime was made in Japan or a co-production. If it was made in Japan then Wikipedia would put the Japanese voice cast or any info it was a US-Japan co-prodcution in it's list too, also there's no Japanese wiki info on Transformes: Prime. Also why would the CG look like it was made for a western audience, and why CG not traditional 2D animation. If the CG was made in Japan, then it would look more like Vexille or that upcoming Dragon Age anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that's just an ad/info about the Japanese release of that show. You're going to need more evidence to tell me that was made in Japan like the production crew and I didn't see ANN saying anything about Transformers Prime being a US-Japanese co-production.

The show is animimated in Japan. The companies that do that actual CG, Polygon Pictures and Digitalscape, are Japanese studios.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
I think that's just an ad/info about the Japanese release of that show. You're going to need more evidence to tell me that was made in Japan like the production crew and I didn't see ANN saying anything about Transformers Prime being a US-Japanese co-production.

The show is animimated in Japan. The companies that do that actual CG, Polygon Pictures and Digitalscape, are Japanese studios.

Yeah I just found out about that after a little snooping. Kind of odd ANN didn't report on Transformers: Prime being animated in Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Does it really matter where it's animated? A lot of stuff from the 80s and 90s was animated in Japan. It doesn't mean anything. What matters is who is producing it and on staff

Devlopers:
Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Duane Capizzi
Jeff Kline

Producers:
Alex Kurtzman
Roberto Orci
Jeff Kline
Steven Puri
Mandy Safavi
Hasbro Studios

Nary a Japanese name in those. Same with Thundercats. Who does grunt animation work is of no importance. Most products we buy are assembled in China even if they were designed in the US.. does that mean anything? Outsourcing is common as day and night.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Does it really matter where it's animated? A lot of stuff from the 80s and 90s was animated in Japan. It doesn't mean anything. What matters is who is producing it and on staff

Devlopers:
Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Duane Capizzi
Jeff Kline

Producers:
Alex Kurtzman
Roberto Orci
Jeff Kline
Steven Puri
Mandy Safavi
Hasbro Studios

Nary a Japanese name in those. Same with Thundercats. Who does grunt animation work is of no importance.

Well for Transformers: Prime, no media or news ever mention the studio that do the CG. Thery didn't even mention it was being made in Japan. ANN never mention Transformer: Prime was animated in Japan. If any Transformers site or anime site reported that Transformers: Prime was animated in Japan, then I would not be making any comment on this topic. ANN reported Thundercats being animated in Japan, but not Transformer: Prime when it got animated in Japan.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does it really matter where it's animated?

True enough, who they have doing the grunt work doesn't mean much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1