• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: White Pirates, Black Pirates?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
I'd be kind of interested in seeing a poll to see the demographics of the ANN readers

Mix of Japanese, Hawaiian, and Irish.

So i'd show you aloha with a pint of sweet green sake. Very Happy
GusJanitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quote
To begin, I am against editing of anything of all sorts. Whatsoever. As such, strictly due to my philosophical code, I have to disagree with the edit 4Kids made.

But then I am a huge anti-bigotry proponent. The sterotype displayed by the charcter is the classic, Black Samba, depiction of blacks. That dosen't mean it can't and shouldn't be used. I can be the first to enjoy a joke shared by a group of people who understand and have fully contemplated the meaning and the reasons behind the sterotypes. The previously mentioned Chappelle's Show is a great example of a show that pushes comedic boundries and begs to ask the question of what race means. I have participated in many group debates about how people percieve the comedy on Chappelle's Show and how it is furthering the cause of elimenating racism. I find that it puts all the race cards on the table and challenges people to justify them, and as nobody can, it begins to erode them.

Now, when it comes to a anime shown on Fox Kids, where the primary audience is small children, small impressionable children, then it starts to concern me. That is when the sterotypes that we need to fight to destroy get formed. A parent isn't going to sit with a child and speak about where the depiction of the charcter came form, why the creators decided to use it, and why it is in fact wrong to believe that the charcter acuractly reflects upon an entire population. No, the child will simply laugh at the silly looking cartoon and come to understand that it is a representation of blacks as a whole. This is why I can somewhat understand the edit 4Kids made.

Now, did 4Kids make the edit because they knew that children's racial preceptions would be morphed by it? No, of course not. As others have stated, 4Kids made the edit simply to avoid overprotective parents who would rather ignore that racism does indeed exist still in this country. Instead of confronting the problem, letting the child see the sterotype and then explaining that it isn't a representation as a whole, especially in areas with little or no black population (of which far too many exist), a few very vocal parents would rather attempt to elimenate all exposure to anything considered risque. Then the child enters school, and learns a hugely corrupted version of sterotypes perpetuated by the children whose parents are a part of the vicious cycle of racism.

So, to make a conclusion to my long and probably disregarded post, racism exists, but the only way to end it is to directly confront and challenge it. By changing a cartoon's charcters skin color, the goal will not be accomplished. It simply delay's the inevitable confrontion, and without confrontation the sterotypes and racism cannot be broken.

I am not the solution to the problem, 4Kids isn't, we all are.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:09 am Reply with quote
Okay if I'm wrong on the Chad from Bleach thing. I haven't read as much of Bleach but went by assumption of looks (like many do).

Perhaps this is a good example of you can't judge a book by it's cover if there ever was one.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sketchee wrote:
I'd be kind of interested in seeing a poll to see the demographics of the ANN readers

Im sorry, but if your refering to race, I don't want to see any polls on that here.
B33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I doubt that. They've shown crossdressers in Pokemon before.
spoiler[There was that episode in Celadon City Ash went to where he dressed like a girl to try to get into the gym.]

You can believe what you want, but I have read about the complaint and went to a couple sites where it mentioned the episode was banned after airing once. Seriously tkae a good look at jinx... I personally think you could mistake that pokemon for a drag queen... if your a soccer mom that is...
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
B33 wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
I doubt that. They've shown crossdressers in Pokemon before.
spoiler[There was that episode in Celadon City Ash went to where he dressed like a girl to try to get into the gym.]

You can believe what you want, but I have read about the complaint and went to a couple sites where it mentioned the episode was banned after airing once. Seriously tkae a good look at jinx... I personally think you could mistake that pokemon for a drag queen... if your a soccer mom that is...

I saw that one time airing of that Ep. Me think's it was on the WB.
Do not remember the exact details but I recall thinking howed that get by the censors. Shocked
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GusJanitor wrote:

I am not the solution to the problem, 4Kids isn't, we all are.

Well said
/golfclap

I still can't believe some people found Jinx offensive.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
The odd thing is, and I'm sure most OP fans know this, is that this character only appears for about 5 seconds. When I saw him, I didn't really think anything but 'what a funny looking person; One Piece sure has a lot.'
Another thing, it's not a question about Oda designing the character that way, because in the original manga this guy looked white to me. There wasnt a tone on his skin (although Oda practically never uses them) and he doesnt appear in any colour images, so the colour of him is the animators version.
But, I also never thought ANYTHING about Jynx being black. I actually thought she (?) was like the Tangela thing, where you just cant see the face and it is emphasized by shadow with only the eyes standing out?
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
It's a little off topic but..
cross dressing in pokemon is common, get over it, it's comedy Razz

Jynx being black is stupid. All this tells me is the person who claimed it is paranoid and distorted enough to picture it as one. I mean, it has blond hair and big red lips! Big red lips and blond hair != black stereotype.

Jynx is suppose to be a siren. Even I could tell that, and evey little kid and pokemon gamer that sees her knows that, that's why it only has suductive clothing, why it has sound based attacks, why it is a psychic and ice, why it has one gender (now), and why it said it lured men to their doom in the Red/blue pokedex!

Usopp is black, or milato if you have to be so PC about it. The Anime seems to change the colors of people sometimes too, from the manga. As I said before, One piece has lots of black people, and they all aren't drawn in the same racial potrayal. That's why it wasn't racist in the first place and why 4Kids is over reacting.

It's also weird over reacting because there have been worse drawn characters in their programs already. 4Kids whole idea was horrible, their so called uncut dvds were still cut, and with a horribly unnatural direct translation dub.

4Kids, what they need to do, is actually spend money! Hire more actors and actresses! Put out subs and uncut versions, they'll probably find that even properly handled Pokemon movies will sell better even if they are cut with subtitles options.

I still don't get the rules on the cutting of smoking. Smoker and Sanji look stupid presented the way they are, and they are clearly over 18, clearly over 21 even. However they get edited? Bandai seems to do this for cartoonnetwork shows also. Plus it's not like they ever want to make you smoke, they never really go out and say "wow, smoking feels awesome".

It's just over sensitivity

(on a side note, the comment about people not saying anything about the old portrayals of black people in looney tunes and such is rubbish. It's like saying "those jewish people in the concintration camps must like it because they never left on their own." Neutral )
appleturbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
i think they shouldn't have changed it.
the controversy could have been a boost in raitings since people would tune in to see what's going on
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but the controversy will cause 4kids tv to lose sponsors or maybe even get One Piece get cancelled.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I personally think that people are getting oversensitive about this issue.

Oda's characters in One Piece frequently have thick lips, even the fairer complexioned characters.

I really never thought of Usopp as "black" or "mixed". Not all ethnic groups that are tan are considered "black". The characters in One Piece don't have racial identifications so far.

I think that this is so minor that it wouldn't affect One Piece airing at all. If anything, it showed that 4Kids was being sensitive to an ethnic group's past portrayals. I feel that if they felt that their viewership was going to overreact, then the change was warranted.

(slightly off topic.... I don't think that "milato" is a term to be used in polite conversation anymore.)
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Yeah, but the controversy will cause 4kids tv to lose sponsors or maybe even get One Piece get cancelled.

I HIGHLY doubt that. It was a pretty early episode so if it was going to get One Piece canned or to lose advertisers it would have happened already. Also there's the possibility that the advertisers agree with them (since they haven't had any problems with the edits yet) or they just don't care what content was removed or altered in a kids show. This was still a pretty minor edit and done with good intentions, only the anime fans are making a big deal out of it, nobody else cares. It's not flashing on the CNN news ticker, it's not causing people to march on the White House, it's not forcing a public apology from FOX, it's not a big deal, if it was the media would have eaten 4Kids alive.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
antonmonter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Why TV networks in America have to edit (sensor) when an anime character smokes? In cartoons there are a lot of characters that smoke, and they aren't edited. Just to put an example I remember that in The Simpsons a lot of characters smoke (Bart's teacher, and Marge's sisters). What is the explanation to this difference in criteria to edit? I don't understand.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:
Why TV networks in America have to edit (sensor) when an anime character smokes? In cartoons there are a lot of characters that smoke, and they aren't edited. Just to put an example I remember that in The Simpsons a lot of characters smoke (Bart's teacher, and Marge's sisters). What is the explanation to this difference in criteria to edit? I don't understand.

Simpsons airs in prime time, and is aimed at something between a family and adult audience. Most of the anime you're making reference to air during children's hours, and the consumption of alcohol & tobacco is kind of a no-no for children's shows. Need remind you that Adult Swim makes no such edits in their anime for substance use, because they are aimed at an adult audience?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11