• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Canceled manga that has the best chance at a re-release?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
With the popularity of Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armor anime TV series in Japan. I think this anime would do well enough here in the states, to warrant a re-release of the manga. (that is if, hopefully, Viz's license has expired). Thoughts?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the Guyver, and I think VIZ still has the licence.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The chances of Viz re-releasing the Guyver manga are very, VERY slim. Aside from the fact that they probobly don't have the licence anymore (it was released around the same time as Crying Freeman, which Darkhorse acquired), at this point Viz really doesn't seem like it would make the effort to market something that doesn't have a large demand. They still release some stuff that isn't in line with what's big in America right now, but most of that (Sexy Voice and Robo, Blue Spring) has a small but devoted audience and appeal to the indie comicbook crowd.
I don't think classic manga can't sell nowadays: the audience is still there, as Darkhorse has proven. Viz just doesn't seem to know how to market to them, or would rather take the money and invest in in a more solid prospect.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
Well, seeing as this discussion is including manga where the license died out, Sailor Moon. Tokyopop never took advantage of their license once they finished releasing it in their right to left, and heavily altered it. It became out of print while they still had the license, and now they just lost the license. If a company were to get the rights and rerelease it in the original left to right, and unaltered, with better quality binding, original covers, that whole shebang, I think it'd do extremly well.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well, seeing as this discussion is including manga where the license died out, Sailor Moon. Tokyopop never took advantage of their license once they finished releasing it in their right to left, and heavily altered it. It became out of print while they still had the license, and now they just lost the license. If a company were to get the rights and rerelease it in the original left to right, and unaltered, with better quality binding, original covers, that whole shebang, I think it'd do extremly well.

The reason why Tokyopop hasn't renewed the licence is probobly because it's simply too expensive and while it may be a hit, there isn't enough of a market for the franchise right now to make it worthwhile (that's my theory anyway).
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
The chances of Viz re-releasing the Guyver manga are very, VERY slim. Aside from the fact that they probobly don't have the licence anymore (it was released around the same time as Crying Freeman, which Darkhorse acquired), at this point Viz really doesn't seem like it would make the effort to market something that doesn't have a large demand. They still release some stuff that isn't in line with what's big in America right now, but most of that (Sexy Voice and Robo, Blue Spring) has a small but devoted audience and appeal to the indie comicbook crowd.
I don't think classic manga can't sell nowadays: the audience is still there, as Darkhorse has proven. Viz just doesn't seem to know how to market to them, or would rather take the money and invest in in a more solid prospect.

Very nicely worded post. Smile However, I wouldn't call it classic, it's still running in Japan. Wink The 23rd volume is out this December.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
The reason why Tokyopop hasn't renewed the licence is probobly because it's simply too expensive and while it may be a hit, there isn't enough of a market for the franchise right now to make it worthwhile (that's my theory anyway).

I don't believe that's the reason. For the last 5 years they've had a chance to rerelease it, and they never did anything with it. They just sat on the license until it expired, and because of that I don't think they're motivated to renew it, even if it WAS one of the main titles that got them their start. There's a giant market for it, and it's been proven. I find it hard to belive for a second that a re-release of the Sailor Moon graphic novels can't outsell some random, unknown manga a company just pulls out of no where. Most female anime/manga fans, aged 17+ started the fandom as sailor moon fans. I only have a small number of the graphic novels that were released, and they're all falling apart due to their being the old school tokyopop binding. Add accurate translations to the mix, it not being flipped, and no name changes, and you have something any sailor moon fan would love to have.
crashnburn777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

maybe its bc sailor moon sucks? hey, now theres something to think about! anyways, if they were to rerelease it, i think itd do very well.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
crashnburn777 wrote:
maybe its bc sailor moon sucks? hey, now theres something to think about! anyways, if they were to rerelease it, i think itd do very well.

Well gee wiz, you just opened my eyes right there. To think I've been a fan of it all this time, and I needed YOU to come along and tell me it sucked to realize it. I think I'll go throw out everything I own of the series now.

Sorry, but you're an idiot if you're not even going to bother to back up what you comment with reasons. For future reference when posting on this forum, do so, otherwise you just look like some random immature 12 year old that stumbled onto here.

Also, this thread isn't about what manga you think suck. Go find a thread that does so you can express yourself just as well as you did here.

And suck or not, it has a giant fanbase, and that there is all something needs here to sell.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
If properly marketed and staffed, I could see Urusei Yatsura being re-released. It's Rumiko Takahashi's other major series, and now with the anime coming to a close it has a better chance of being reached by a large fanbase. Were Viz to release it in a large 15-volume edition, like the Japanese widebans, I would scoop it right up.

But realistically, after two failed attempts at releasing, I don't think Viz would really try it a third time. Sad
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the Sailor Moon manga ordeal, especially when it got re-released in Japan with new revisions by the creator, Naoko Takeuchi. It still maintaining a fanbase with all of the musicals and after the completion of the live action series. In a way, it still embosses current magical girl concepts in anime and manga.

BTW: The manga was always superior to the anime. Smile
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
But realistically, after two failed attempts at releasing, I don't think Viz would really try it a third time. Sad
Some time ago, Viz said it depends on the sells of Inuyasha and Maison Ikkoku. If they did will, they'll bring it over. Me? I've gave up on that thought and pray for the day that another company will pick up the rights.

As for my choice (er, other choice), City Hunter. Raijin didn't finish it before it dropped the ball, and I was really getting to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dogofwar6565

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to see City Hunter and Slam Dunk picked up by a different company and get rereleased. At least Golgo 13 is finally getting released over here.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
dito on Slam Dunk
I've been loving Inoue's mangas for a while now
dont know about the chances of it happening, but I guess its a pretty popular series...
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
According to Shojo Beat Vol. 1, Viz may be planning to re-release Slam Dunk. It was mentioned in the article about the Crimson Hero manga, Slam Dunk was listed as coming soon. Here's hopeing. I would also like to see the return of 3 X 3 Eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2