• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakifly - Who is this person?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackstick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Obviously the original creator of the K-ON! manga. However, I can't find any other information about this person. All I know is that they wrote K-ON! and their gender is probably male.

Why is there so little information about Kakifly? K-ON! is pretty damn popular... one would assume that there would be a decent amount of information on its author.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
A lot of manga-ka are quite private. Just look at CLAMP, there weren't even pictures of them for ages and they are about as big as you get. And most manga-ka write under pseudonyms as well. So I don't think it's really that unusual.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not uncommon for there not to be much known about a mangaka. Nobody knew the mangaka for Mitsudomoe was a woman in her young 20s until the end of season 1 of the anime. That's over 4 years of the manga running with no info on her, and most people assumed it was written by a guy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not that rare for little to be known about a mangaka. Kakifly just happens to have a dafter pen name than most Laughing
timesteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
hey look at masamune shirow he has been working for nearly 30 years and I'm not even sure if he has ever showed up on camera
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Nobody knew the mangaka for Mitsudomoe was a woman in her young 20s until the end of season 1 of the anime.

Actually, Sakurai Norio, the manga artist of Mitsudomoe, drew a 'nonfiction' manga about herself and it appeared in a tankōbon of her Kodomo Gakkyū, which was carried in Shōnen Champion in 2003-2005. So Sakurai Norio's being a girl was a fairly well-known thing to people, including me, who read her manga in the original already in 2004 or so.
It was also talked about in the Sakurai Norio thread on 2ch already in 2003. I remember Hot Calpis got excited at Sakurai's being a female student.

TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Actually, Sakurai Norio, the manga artist of Mitsudomoe, drew a 'nonfiction' manga about herself and it appeared in a tankōbon of her Kodomo Gakkyū, which was carried in Shōnen Champion in 2003-2005. So Sakurai Norio's being a girl was a fairly well-known thing to people, including me, who read her manga in the original already in 2004 or so.
It was also talked about in the Sakurai Norio thread on 2ch already in 2003. I remember Hot Calpis got excited at Sakurai's being a female student.

Huh. Imagine that. 2ch was the place I saw the big surprise by the fans awhile back when the anime was airing.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
hyojodoji wrote:

Huh. Imagine that. 2ch was the place I saw the big surprise by the fans awhile back when the anime was airing.

Many newbies to a thing, too, post messages on 2ch, so it is no surprise that you can see also postings by them in threads related to that thing.
Also, when a manga/light novel has been made into an anime, it often beckons people (perhaps including some gaijin) who are interested in the anime but are unacquainted with manga/light novels by the author to related threads.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1