• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anyone think there should be manga box sets?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm just putting out my opinion that some manga series would be easier to get as a box set. I mean that because I've had trouble finding certain volumes of mangas and i've searched more than 8 bookstores that sell mangas (because bookstores are the only source for mangas here where I live). I'm just wondering if anyone else would like the suggestion of manga boxsets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever tried looking on the internet? Go to ecampus.com (all manga 30% off Anime smile), that's where i get my manga.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there should be more. I really like box sets, and get them when I can. The only one I own is the Inu-Yasha demon box set. I used to have the Nausicaa one though, and I really want to get that Fruits Basket one.

They'd be great for shorter series, around 5-8 volumes.
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Don't Coyboy Bebop and Ragnarok have box sets? Oh yeah and Chobits is coming out with one too.
LPMtheAWESOME

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
No. Mangas are released over time, and boxes are exspensive and take up space. So if I did miss a volume, what need I for say the other three that comes with? And I perfer to experiment on one volume or two than a box. But don't get me wrong, it's not like I personally hate them and I've already seen some. I just think It's be easier and more profitable.
alice20th

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
There are some. Two or three years ago, TokyoPop and Viz put out box sets of several early volumes of their most popular series.

Since they aren't doing it now, my guess is there wasn't much demand for them
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I would love to have box sets of manga. I like to have my anime in boxes, and the same would go for manga. DVD box sets usually come out after the individual volumes are released, and manga boxsets could be released the same way. This is all wishful thinking of course, but...what's wrong with that? If boxes would also be available for sale or as a bonus with certain titles like Wolf's Rain, I'd definitely buy them. A Rurouni Kenshin box for each of the arcs would work, as I don't think a really long box would be convenient...! Art boxes would really go well with certain titles.

Quote:
Since they aren't doing it now, my guess is there wasn't much demand for them
Maybe I should email them to see if they have any plans.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
FYI, DarkWarLord, it's Cowboy, NOT "Coyboy."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It was nice when TOKYOPOP came out with the remakes of Magic Knight Rayearth and put them in boxsets. It's the same with Cardcaptor Sakura. I'm actually looking forward to the Chobits one, if that's true, DarkWarLord. (Actually, I already have all eight volumes, but still. They're pretty old.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
FYI, DarkWarLord, it's Cowboy, NOT "Coyboy."

Sorry I type REALLY fast so i dont know when i spell things wrong. Thanks for telling me i should preview my posts more often.....
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
It was nice when TOKYOPOP came out with the remakes of Magic Knight Rayearth and put them in boxsets. It's the same with Cardcaptor Sakura. I'm actually looking forward to the Chobits one, if that's true, DarkWarLord. (Actually, I already have all eight volumes, but still. They're pretty old.)

http://tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?page=product&productid=1906

The box w/ Vol. 8, room for the other 7 volumes, AND a free Chii Figurine. From October 2003.
Lum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
If they're complete series sets and are able to sell them for cheaper than buying them seperately, then yes. It would be nice. Smile Boxes are nice but I never see the need to spend extra money for them.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
If anyone's interested, I compiled an amazon list of all the manga box sets availible in English. Alot of them are out of print though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/3N6WCS51ZRE35/ref=cm_aya_av.lm_more/102-5517568-9636960

The only one not included that I'm aware of is the Fruits Basket box set, which is not listed on amazon for some reason.
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow thanks I didn't know there were that many boxed sets for manga. I think more companies should make box sets. Dunno about you but i like to collect stuff.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
For some reason which I cannot explain, I dislike boxsets. The idea of paying ten bucks extra for a piece of cardboard (Fruits Basket, Chobits) really bugs me. Of course, I actually own one (Nausicaa old edition), but that was simply because it was cheaper at the time to buy the box than getting each individual volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2