• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Found NEGIMA VOL 7 download ,the real thing or a fake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trillin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Shocked If was on google looking for some new backgrounds and i found this site , i wasnt really shure what i had downloaded tell i opened the file ,

(removed link, i mit post 1 or 2 pages that give no spoilers ,as soon as i figure out how, just so u can judge the work to see if its real)

I dunno if any of u have seen this before but it looks pretty damn real to me could this really be vol 7? ( i really hope its fake), I dunno if its real or not i only read the first chapter and thats all i ever plan to read so sense in spoiling the fun reading a REAL book, What are ur oppions on it?

P.S. is there a place to report the sites like the 1 above that pirate this stuff?

Last edited by Trillin on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:41 am; edited 6 times in total
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Breaking 2 rules isn't cool. Lock please.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Trillin wrote:
Shocked If was on google looking for some new backgrounds and i found this site , i wasnt really shure what i had downloaded tell i opened the file ,

(removed link, i mit post 1 or 2 pages that give no spoilers ,as soon as i figure out how, just so u can judge the work to see if its real)

I dunno if any of u have seen this before but it looks pretty damn real to me could this really be vol 7? ( i really hope its fake), I dunno if its real or not i only read the first chapter and thats all i ever plan to read so sense in spoiling the fun reading a REAL book, What are ur oppions on it?

P.S. is there a place to report the sites like the 1 above that pirate this stuff?

Looks like you discoverd Fanscans. They're all over the internet just like fansubs.
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard the term fanscan before.I call them scanlations and that's the only title I've heard them called before this.Yes they are illegal.
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've heard them called many names. Scanslations, which rhymes with translations, is one of the more common variants.

As for the original question, sure it's illegal, and you can report it to the English publisher (since Negima's licensed). Once in a blue moon they might actually do something about it.

My opinion is to chill, since it's so common on the net. It's not like the site is offering volumes that have already been published in English. Impatient fans are simply given an opportunity to check out what's coming up. Most publishers tolerate it for a number of reasons, not least because stuff like this works as advertisement.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Most publishers tolerate it for a number of reasons, not least because stuff like this works as advertisement.

So a guy from finland is going to tell us if U.S. companies will tolerate it? Are you a market analyst for manga publishers? The series is already licensed, it's not advertistment, it's call bootleg.

Gauss wrote:
It's not like the site is offering volumes that have already been published in English.

So if a music album is leak out 3 weeks before it's release like most Jay Z album, it's okay to download it becaues it hasn't been release yet? Yeah right Idea

Gauss wrote:
Impatient fans are simply given an opportunity to check out what's coming up.

Lets not forget the free leeching fans that only dl and never buy anything because they can get it online for free. There are tons of them too.
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
fanboy or otakuism is a very strange thing.

it's like the ones who buy 5 star wars or lotr dvds of each movie in all it's editions.

in my opinion, they are definitely advertisements. i rarely read scanlations but i have trouble finding manga that's right for me. i have to go to a borders and read through a volume or 2 before i actually buy it. i have read Bleach 1-8 at my borders and today i finally bought volume 1. i will be collecting from now on. IN THE FUTURE, when manga blows up — then this might be a problem but i think it is a good thing right now.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That's called a scanlation; they are very common. It's how many of us get our manga. After all, who wants to wait for the stories to catch up with Japan? I for one would prefer not to be about 200 chapters behind in Naruto, or stuck on Volume 8 of Berserk when in Japan they're on Volume 30. They're not exactly legal, but no one cares. They don't harm anyone, and they help build up a fanbase for manga series before they even arrive here. Scanlations are good for the industry. It's not like downloading movies. Scanlations allow you to read manga that has yet to be released here. People complain about scanlations of licensed manga, yet I can just as easily go to Barnes and Noble, grab a stack of manga, and read it all for free as I can download a licensed scanlation.

In short, scanlations are good, but we're not allowed to talk about where to find them or ask for them because of the rules.

As to the comment about downloading a new CD 3 weeks before its release, you need to remember that most scanlations are of things that won't see release in the USA for years. They serve as advance advertisements. You can easily read the actual manga for free at a bookstore. It's not like a CD that you have to buy in order to enjoy. If you can read the product for free in the first place, what's wrong with making it available online? It's sort of like a movie trailer...if you like the scanlations you read, you might want to get the actual series.

Myself, I only collect a couple of manga series-Battle Royale and Trigun Maximum. BR doesn't have a scanlation group working on it and TM I've been buying since it came out and don't see a reason to stop. The rest of my manga I get through scanlation. Why don't I buy it? Because I don't like paying $10 for something I can read in under an hour. Why should I, when I can just as easily spend around $8 on a paperback book and have hours of reading time? Manga is too expensive for my liking. I'd prefer not to have to buy 30 volumes of a series at $10 apiece. I'd much rather spend my money on other things, like movie tickets (which are overpriced as well, but I'm a huge movie fan, and I don't download films...unless they're foreign ones that aren't out here).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't read scanlations myself, but I do believe that they help the industry more than they hurt it. Several best-selling titles, such as Naruto, Fruits Basket, and the up-and-coming Death Note, might not have such strong sales if it weren't for the fanbase created by scanlations. Unfortunately, there will always be those who read scanlations exclusively, but that is impossible to avoid with the internet.

I might have read ahead in Naruto and Inu-Yasha (19 volumes behind Anime cry) if it weren't for the fact that I hate reading manga on the computer. It just doesn't have the same feeling for me as sitting down and reading the real thing. Also, I'm very much a collector, and I like having the volumes on my shelf.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the above poster. While scanlations may be illegal, they are what create the fanbases that drive the sales up of certain titles. I for one do not purchase any manga unless I have read it somewhere else first. I'd rather know that I'm purchasing an excellent manga rather than some impulse buy that might turn out to suck.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
I read scanlations of manga that are not available to me.

At the same time, it's pretty unconscionable to me to get scanlations of manga that's been licensed and published.

I figure that those are made not to show off undiscovered work or how cool it is, but to satisfy a proportion of fandom who are simply impatient.

It would've been easy for me to get scanlations of GTO instead of waiting and collecting for 3 years to get it all...

But the tankoubon just feel different. There's an extra sensory level which you don't get from reading on a screen... It's just that much better.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer reading manga on a screen. The images are larger, you don't have to worry about bending the spine, and I hate the feel of the paper used to print manga on. I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, and certain textures really unnerve me...that paper is one of them. Also, I fail to see how anyone can find anything wrong with downloading scanlations of chapters far beyond where a series is currently in the USA...for example, I'd rather not have to wait years and years to get to where One Piece is in Japan now. We're on chapter 73, I believe, and they are on chapter 379. Now tell me: Why should we wait all those years to catch up when we can just as easily catch up now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I buy the Del Rey's as soon as they make it over here, but when I found a batch of the scanslations I couldn't help reading ahead. I will still buy each of the Del Reys when they eventually come out and I am also nearly finished collecting the Japanese manga as well (and am also compiling a list of all the mistakes and odd changes in the Del Rey version). It looks like volume 11 has just been released in Japan, although fan translations have already been made of the chapters based on the serialised version (Chapter 105 is the latest. Haven't found any easy way of getting the magazine it's serialised in though)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
I actually prefer reading manga on a screen. The images are larger, you don't have to worry about bending the spine, and I hate the feel of the paper used to print manga on. I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, and certain textures really unnerve me...that paper is one of them. Also, I fail to see how anyone can find anything wrong with downloading scanlations of chapters far beyond where a series is currently in the USA...for example, I'd rather not have to wait years and years to get to where One Piece is in Japan now. We're on chapter 73, I believe, and they are on chapter 379. Now tell me: Why should we wait all those years to catch up when we can just as easily catch up now?

Well, I'd say that downloading items that are nearly available (insofar as I know that I can buy Negima 6, so Negima 7 can't be too far ahead) or available now is much less defensible than only downloading scanlations of unlicensed series.

And as much as you dislike the feel of manga, I love the feel of manga. Scanlations may have larger images, and they may be more convenient, but I am much happier with the actual item. Even though the paper quality may be not be wonderful, and such, I still prefer the tankoubon. Like I said, there's simply another sensory level to be hand. The look, the feel, the smell, it all adds to the manga experience for me!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I've never liked reading large amounts of text on screen - one of the reasons I've never read any fanfiction. It's even worse when you're reading from images rather than text since turning the 'pages' is akward and scrolling inconvient. No matter how good the screen, nothing beats the clarity of printed text (although the Japanese tend to use better quality paper than their US counterparts and naturally have better print quality since they haven't had to be modified - a case in point being Chobits since I have both versions)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2