• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most embarrassing moments while watching anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterspartan243

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone had one of those weird embarrassing, self conscious experiences watching anime. One of them was watching the first Ghost in the Shell movie and it was the beginning and my friends and I were watching. Then my dad shows up and it was just weird. I thought he was gonna say something about us not to watch this kind of stuff.
Siilent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Mine is still happening right now. I just watched...an episode...and...I'm trying not to cry, because if I did, with my luck, someone would walk down here and notice.

...Any Naruto fans I can talk to? (I may make a board for this.)
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Naruto can be quite an emotional series. Not sure which episode you mean (supposedly there are several tear-jerking scenes) but early on in the manga I came to a scene that made me practically sob even when I already knew what was going to happen. And in the Rave Master manga too, I've cried twice. Which is really weird, considering I barely shed a tear over Grave of the Fireflies.

As for embarrassing moments, I've come close to some. Like, I'll be watching a sexual scene in an anime and be ready to jump up and turn off the TV if I hear someone coming up the stairs...

EDIT: The very last episode of Excel Saga comes to mind. Anime hyper
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I went to Anime North last year with 3 of my friends, and my dad and one of my friend's dads came with us. Since we are each 16 or under, I am 16, we not only needed transportation but a chaparone for the convention itself. 18 and over on your own... So we decided to go to a Final Fantasy Panel on the main level of the hotel. My dad said that it was okay as long as we didn't leave the hotel and left with my friend's dad. When it was over, we decided to go and check out some of the anime that was being shown. I didn't have my cell phone on me and I didn't think to tell my dad this, so by the time we got back to our rooms it was nearing an hour and a half after the panel had finished. My dad FREAKED out. He wouldn't tell us why he was freaking out while my friends dad wasn't, but we all knew that it was because most of the anime playing at the time was hentai (he just knew that it was 'adult' because my friend's dad had joked about going to check it out)... But we were watching Naussica! A G movie! I didn't know whether to be embarrassed or out and out laugh at him.

Last edited by x_ekibyougami_x on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Masterspartan243

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dayum!!! That's hillarious! How old are you that your dad is going berserk. I remember another embarrasing moment when I was watching Evangelion. spoiler[It was the episode when they fought that flying fortress. I was watching it and it was up to the part when Shinji had to give Rei her card. Then as he fell on her... my mom walks in I fast-forwarded it. It was a close call for me. Smile But if she caught me I would've died]
Siilent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This was early on in Naruto as well. o_o Here, I'll just say...

spoiler[Haku.]

...Is it true? It's not. It can't be. He'll spoiler[come back to life], won't he? I mean, I'm sure spoiler[Sasuke is NOT dead. It's too obvious, so why should Haku be dead? Is it not just as likely that Haku is alive? I can guess Sasuke is going to come back to life somehow, so Haku should come back to life as well.]

...;-; No. It's not true.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I remember being paranoid about someone walking in on me at that scene in Evangelion too. ... As well as when spoiler[Misato has sex with Kaji].

As for that scene in Naruto... spoiler[I think it's rather obvious that Sasuke doesn't die, seeing as he's one of the most major characters. Nevertheless the scene where Sakura see his lifeless body was heart-wrenching... And as for Haku, well, I'm afraid he doesn't get off so well, you could say. Sad ]
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
This was early on in Naruto as well. o_o Here, I'll just say...

spoiler[Haku.]

...Is it true? It's not. It can't be. He'll spoiler[come back to life], won't he? I mean, I'm sure spoiler[Sasuke is NOT dead. It's too obvious, so why should Haku be dead? Is it not just as likely that Haku is alive? I can guess Sasuke is going to come back to life somehow, so Haku should come back to life as well.]

...;-; No. It's not true.

spoiler[Haku is long dead.]
Siilent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Now look what you've done, you've made me start crying.

spoiler[Why Haku? It's...not fair. Sasuke gets to live (somehow?) and Haku...doesn't? I'll get back to you all when I finish episode 19, but...Haku.]

-sniff- Heh. My tears hurt.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmm for embarassing moments i'd say it would be that somethimes after i watch an episode of an anime series that really connected to me i would end up talking to myself and then wonder if any of my neighbours in my apartment would hear and then i would beat myself up for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
spoiler[If Zabuza dies, too, I will never forgive this show. It's unexplainable how heartbroken I'll be. Zabuza had better live.]

If this is the way it will be, if spoiler[Haku is really long gone,] all I can hope for is above. Tears are now streaming down my face, after watching the first five minutes of episode nineteen. For those who have seen this part of Naruto already, hopefully you're saying spoiler["Oh, luckily, Zabuza doesn't die. Good!" instead of "Ah...Oh dear...She just had to pick the next character to go..."]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1