• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah! My Goddess ova Vs. Ah! My Goddess (TV)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
Ah! My Goddess ova Vs. Ah! My Goddess (TV). I was just wondering what other people thought of the new Ah! My Goddess compaird to the old one. I just finished the new one. Iv been wanting to do this post for a wile.
kacper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:47 am Reply with quote
animation wise i think OVA is the winner. story wise i prefer the TV, and hope they decide to give the series another season so more of the manga is done in animated form. I just never liked the OVA stories...
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote
I never really liked the OVA myself. However, I rather enjoyed the TV series, although I think it was a little dull at times. I do think the OVA had better animation, but, I mean, it was an OVA, so that’s to be expected. But, I think A!MG TV had fairly good animation for a TV series.

I’m also hoping for another season, so hopefully more of the manga can be covered.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the TV series yet but I liked the movie more than the OVA just because there was more motorcycle racing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the TV series yet, but, from the spoilers I've read, I'm fairly sure I will far prefer it to the OVA series as it generally sticks much closer to the manga with a good selection of story arcs from the manga represented (even if the order of many of those arcs is shifted around), and, while the OVA is pretty to look at and a pleasant-enough trifle on its own merits, I always found the characterizations shallow compared to the manga.

And they obviously meant to make more OVA episodes as Marller/Mara is featured prominently in the opening yet she never shows up in the actual episodes, which always ticked me off. I forgive the lack of Peorth because I know she hadn't yet appeared in the manga at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAlmightyMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have an idea when Media Blasters plans to release this series on DVD?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Does anyone have an idea when Media Blasters plans to release this series on DVD?

September 27 is when the first volume and vol 1+box will be released
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Haven't heard any U.S. release schedule.

Based on the handful of TV episodes I was able to see fansubbed before MB licensed it, the TV series has rougher production values and moves along much slower. (Megumi isn't introduced until episode 6, for instance.) It also fills in some of the manga stories that the OVA series skipped over.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I thought the tone of the early TV episodes was a little off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Haven't heard any U.S. release schedule.

Hmm... then:
Ah! My Goddess - Always and Forever + Artbox (DVD 1) 2005-09-27
Ah! My Goddess - Always and Forever (DVD 1) 2005-09-27

Ever thought of actually looking at the encyclopedia page for Ah! My Goddess TV? Rolling Eyes

Vol 2 should come out in Nov/Dec 2005
Vol 3 should come out in Jan/Feb 2006
Vol 4 should come out in Mar/Apr 2006
Vol 5 should come out in May/Jun 2006
Vol 6 should come out in July/Aug 2006
Any other volume beyond this is dependant on how many episodes Media Blasters puts on each DVD (the 1st volume has 5 episodes)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama's rudeness aside, that's an amazingly quick turn-around, given that the last episode aired just last week. I'll be quite impressed if Media Blasters can pull it off on schedule.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:37 am Reply with quote
The solicitation for vol. 1 has been up since June 11.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kusanagi-sama's rudeness aside, that's an amazingly quick turn-around, given that the last episode aired just last week. I'll be quite impressed if Media Blasters can pull it off on schedule.
Actually it's not that surprising - Ah! My Goddess is an extremely popular series that already has a large following, so if Media Blasters licensed it when it was still in production (which I am quite sure that they did) then they could have started working on the dubs while the series was still being aired in Japan. Once the series was done airing there nothing preventing them from releasing as fast as they can.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
One has to remember that the OVA was done nearly 12 years ago when the manga was still not even half way through it's run. That's why it is sort of a stand alone story plot with a totally unrelated ending. The TV series is allegedly following the manga and will include mostly, if not all, of the manga characters in it. I agress Technically I perfer the OVA. But for the story I perfer the TV series. Shame the same technical aspects aren't in it, but there we are. Wink
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree, for the animation and character designs the OVAs are preferred over the tv series.

But the tv series has greater character development and expands the manga storyarcs. About fracking time and long overdue! Razz
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought the OVA was better, the TV series, in my opinion, dragged on for too long =/... a lot of the things that happened were so predictable...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2