• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 8 Great Anime Bands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Gia actually watches a lot of classic anime, as I remember... Don't give her a hard time about.

The fact that the list is comprised of bands post-1990 (The earliest in the list, Fire Bomber/Macross 7, is from 1994) and does not include at least one well known band before that is a fair point of criticism and justifiable. How long back Gia should've gone is debatable at best, but not giving a nod to at least one 80's-era band is unacceptable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Fire Bomber's hideous. Tone-deaf as fark. I'd rather insert some of the "bands" in Sket Dance than them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Gia actually watches a lot of classic anime, as I remember... Don't give her a hard time about. Also, if there were a crap-load of old bands from old anime that no one knew (a lot of people who visit this site are in the newer generation), it wouldn't be as interesting.
Not my intention. But what you are implying with this response is that she has seen BGC, but didn't think it worth listing. Was that your intent? Wink
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Gia actually watches a lot of classic anime, as I remember... Don't give her a hard time about.

The fact that the list is comprised of bands post-1990 (The earliest in the list, Fire Bomber/Macross 7, is from 1994) and does not include at least one well known band before that is a fair point of criticism and justifiable. How long back Gia should've gone is debatable at best, but not giving a nod to at least one 80's-era band is unacceptable.

Gotta agree with this, seriously when I saw the topic I ALSO figured "Priss & the Replicants" would at least factor into the thing. They may be the only anime band besides Fire Bomber (??) to actually HAVE their own "concert" video release. I comment more because I can't believe they should be left off in favor of ANY of the bottom 4. (Fire Bomber, Beck, "a band from NANA" and Houkago Tea Time I get, but the other 4? Anime dazed)

Also, I don't think it's a turnoff for "new" fans if you have ONE (out of 8) items be from an older classic. Heck, if anything an article like this should be a good opportunity for people to FIND interesting things they haven't seen before.

And wrong line from Death Note for last week's survey, it should've been:
"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
You know, we should all probably just be glad that the Bok Choy Sisters from Gokudo didn't make the list.

In terms of BGC, I assume everyone means the original series? 2040 had the same band, although I'd be the first to agree that the original's soundtrack is much better. (The 3-disc set plays frequently at my house.) I agree it's an oversight, but I'm fairly certain Gia had her reasons.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
In terms of BGC, I assume everyone means the original series? 2040 had the same band,

I think the band Priscilla was in 2040 was called Sekiria. IIRC, Sekiri in Japanese means.....dysentery.

HeeroTX wrote:
Also, I don't think it's a turnoff for "new" fans if you have ONE (out of 8) items be from an older classic. Heck, if anything an article like this should be a good opportunity for people to FIND interesting things they haven't seen before.

Speaking of which, what happened to Buried Treasure/Garbage?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Speaking of which, what happened to Buried Treasure/Garbage?

It's on an irregular schedule where it comes out whenever Justin feels like he's got something to share, I believe.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The new poll is cruel. How do I pick between Hayate and Roberta?
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No DMC and no Black Heaven.

Sigh.

I can't quote this hard enough. Maybe I should underline it?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Guess I'm the only one who wishes Nerima Daikon Brothers had made this list. Razz

They're not technically a band, are they? None of them play instruments.

Well, they do have their panda back-up band... Cool

Would have to agree that DMC should've been on the list.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No DMC and no Black Heaven.

Sigh.

[/quote]
Those two were definitely on my mind, as well as whatever the musical entity(s) was(were) for Key the Metal Idol.

Something about the music in Key definitely struck a chord with me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4