• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Second season of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
From what I got from some poster in AnimeOnDVD and AS (it's the "other" AS) forums, second season is definetely coming. Official website is here:

http://www.nanoha.com/

Oooo, I wonder if we're going to see more of Nanoha and Fate team-up. spoiler[I mean the second to last episode of the first season was so freakin' sweet since we get to see those two fight together against a bunch of mechas! Yes, there were mechas, and the magical girls were kicking ass! Twisted Evil ]

Not your typical magical girl series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
More information of the second season here, but it's in Japanese:

http://www.animate.tv/title/detail.php?id=t000000170

Judging from the poster, it looks like there's going to be more Fate goodness! And is that Arf as a puppy?! Shocked
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd be a lot more interested in this news if the first season was licensed and coming over into the North American market very soon. In another forum, there was a thread that mentioned that this series is similar to Cardcaptor Sakura so I became curious about the series. I only saw the first episode of the first season so far and don't have much of an opinion yet. So is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha any good?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It starts out a bit typical like having Nanoha collect a few Jewel Seeds for the first few episodes. Once her rival Fate comes along, everything changes since it's now mostly a duel between those two magical girls. Of course there's a reason Fate does what she does. Wink

What makes it interesting is the fact that Nanoha quickly learns the various magical attacks, though it took time for her to use them in a tactical approach; that's where her various battles against Fate comes to play. It's pretty rare for a magical girl series where the battles take up most of the episode since it's usually found in shounen action series.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
So is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha any good?
Nanoha was originally conceived as a side-story to a love sim game, and the series starts out as a homage to the magical girl genre in general. There's recognizable bits of Sailor Moon, Pretty Sammy, Creamy Mami, Card Captor Sakura, etc. all put in a blender.

But then the production values of the series alone would've been enough to keep me watching; even though it's supposed to be a TV series the animation is mostly OAV quality, and every now and then the animation quality approaches something from Studio Ghibli.

And then on top of that, the series has a unique take on magic, and THEN about halfway through it suddenly takes off in a different direction (not saying more to avoid spoilers) that makes it a pretty unique magical girl series in its own right. And all along the way they do a really good job of showing Nanoha trying to deal with the responsibility of protecting the town while keeping a secret from the people closest to her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
neko ewen wrote:
SnowfairyX wrote:
So is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha any good?
Nanoha was originally conceived as a side-story to a love sim game, and the series starts out as a homage to the magical girl genre in general. There's recognizable bits of Sailor Moon, Pretty Sammy, Creamy Mami, Card Captor Sakura, etc. all put in a blender.

I thought that it was a spin-off of Triangle Heart. Is that what you were referring to? Anyway, I have a bias for mahou shoujo in general and will be hoping for the first season to be licensed as soon as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1