• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for Cool Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodmeal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Ok,
Im looking for an anime that i'll really like, i haven't seen that many, I dont like anything childish, or that involves giant robots of any kind. I like vampire animes like hellsing and D, but a vampire theme is not importaint at all. im just looking for an anime that's really cool, with few or no cheesy lines. Preferrably futuristic.
For ages around 18. Any suggestions?
dgreater1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Vampires.. vampires... I'd say, you'll probably like Tsukuyomi ~Moonphase~, just don't mind the OP theme Anime smile, don't let it disturb your desire to watch this Cool Anime Laughing

Another one would be Witch Hunter Robin

Last edited by dgreater1 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I like Tsukihime a lot. But if you're looking for action, don't buy it. This series is more of a drama and mystery, with the action and character development in between.

Also, when you mentioned Vampire Hunter D, did you mean the original or Bloodlust? Personally, I like the original more, despite the really old animation.

Bloodlust is OK, but it felt like they were trying to overemphasize the action sequences, I still rated it Excellent (sub), though. Great animation and art that's much closer to Yoshitaka Amano's original designs. The music also sounds a little generic to me, but like I mentioned, it's still a good movie if you like action.

Hm.. for more supernatural, you might also want to try Vampire Hunter (a.k.a "Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge"). I've seen half of the series, but I feel it's Very Good, if you're somewhat familiar with the video games.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
DEVILMAN!

even tho the manga is better cause well its the full story, I WANT IT RELEASED OVER HERE!

Devilman has cool characters, deep plot and great action
check it out, its more of a cult hit then anything, but so far most of my friends love it also Smile

spoiler[nothing beats when Miki gets her head chopped off by a crazed mob, and Akira aka Devilman is greiving over her death and some punks come to just mess with him and he just fires a small beam that goes right though his head like a laser hehe and just kills them with no problems whatsoever!]

theres lots of plot twists in it, but for the love of anything good, DON'T WATCH THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE! its terrible! holy watch it if you want to see something terrible, but even then, its not even good to watch.

and don't look at the old 70's cartoon that was made for kids either. while it was good, but its nothing compared to the real thing

personally I like the side story that was made up a few years ago to the ending of Devilman, AMON : The Apcolopypse of Devilman

where...
spoiler[after the Death of Miki, Amon the demon thats inside of Akira finally gets free and goes on a killing spree! He hates the fact that a weakling that is Akira took over his body!]

also try the Guyver too, its futuristic with monsters too, I love cyborg superheroes Smile

another one thats really cool is Project Arms

very military like, with alot of futuristic stuff in it and gets very cool at times, nothing can beat the Jabberwock! worth checking out if you enjoy martial arts mixed in very indepth military style stories of basically what if the military had these in their army that Sci-Fi basically puts in, ie Mutant/powers soldiers, people with pyschic powers, cyborgs, etc

GI Joe the Movie is awesome also Smile espically if you grew up with it, basically put if you love Transformers the movie, but like stuff that aren't giant robots but more human like, this is for you! COBRA LA LA LA LA

Tenjho Tenge is a another good martial arts anime, with very cool characters, I love the japanese dub for the one character, his friend's name is Bob, and it sounds like they say Boob ahha

Ninja Scroll Wink
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
bloodmeal wrote:
Ok,
Im looking for an anime that i'll really like, i haven't seen that many, I don't like anything childish, or that involves giant robots of any kind. I like vampire animes like hellsing and D, but a vampire theme is not importaint at all. im just looking for an anime that's really cool, with few or no cheesy lines. Preferrably futuristic.

Vampire?Futuristic?Mature-themed? I think you're looking for Trinity Blood. You will really like it. Not licensed yet, but, really it's only a matter of time before it is.
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
Dude,
I'd definetely suggest Samurai x:Trust and betrayal(ova).Remember trust and betrayal cause the others are unsuited for you.
If you have an interest in art and twists,i suggest get backers.
But for you the best show would be wolf's rain.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
bloodmeal wrote:
Ok,
Im looking for an anime that i'll really like, i haven't seen that many, I don't like anything childish, or that involves giant robots of any kind. I like vampire animes like hellsing and D, but a vampire theme is not importaint at all. im just looking for an anime that's really cool, with few or no cheesy lines. Preferrably futuristic.
For ages around 18
. Any suggestions?

The one that fits this description perfectly as far as I'm concerned is Cowboy Bebop.

If you haven't seen it do yourself a favor Smile
Sicarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with patch you should see Cowboy Bebop. Another good one is Wolf's Rain. Another one is Samuri Champloo although it's not futuristic since it's set before Japan was modernized.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
bloodmeal wrote:
Ok,

Maybe Neon Genesis Evangelion. While the EVAs are thought to be giant robots early in the series, it turns out that they're (Note: BIG SPOILER, but the jist of it is that they're something other than robots) spoiler[clones of the Angels], so that isn't an issue. The show has a bit of cheesier stuff in the first half, but it becomes entirely serious in the second half. Definately futuristic and extremely cool. Just skip the last two episodes if you don't want to deal with a lot of pointlessness.

If you honestly can't stand even psuedo-robots, then check out Cowboy Bebop like everyone else has said. Or if you're in the mood for something more historical (not exactly historically acurate though), go with Samurai Champloo if you want something more funny or Fullmetal Alchemist if you want something more serious. Armstrong is cheesy and Al's personality is pretty childish, but the former character hardly shows up and the latter character's innocence is managed in a way that is both entertaining and helps the plot progress smoothly.
MarcKal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I know one. It doesn't have robots, but it's pretty damn good.

Akira

Great anime. Thought it was stupid. Sure, the voice acting for those...little...midget, grey people isn't good (terrible, actually), but everything else is sure to impress you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree with patch you should see Cowboy Bebop. Another good one is Wolf's Rain. Another one is Samuri Champloo although it's not futuristic since it's set before Japan was modernized.

Can anyone say Bones fanboi? With those descriptions, I'd go with Heat Guy J, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Evangelion (if your into big robots and sexually frustrated teens). I'd also suggest Akira and the Armitage movies.
bloodmeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Thnx for the suggestions, I've got an armitage video I've had for years and its quite good, I've had akira since i was a kid too, these are the kinds films tht got me into anime to begin with.

Alot of the films people have suggested are a bit hard to come by on dvd in the uk Sad but ill keep looking.
bloodmeal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Im looking for titles on r2 dvd all the time, as for cowboy beebop, I've always been given the impression that this was really corny, even the name suggests so. Rolling Eyes

Wolf's rain looks pretty perfect, but i cant find it in english, is it available with english dialogue?

How about blood: the last vampire?
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
@ outlawwolf: BONES only did the production of Wolf's Rain on that list, Sunrise did production for the Cowboy Bebop TV series although BONES was involved in the movie.

@ bloodmeal: Don't know how you can say that it's 'real corny' just by judging by name? Especially when you don't know the meaning of it, oh well. Yes, Wolf's Rain is available dubbed in english on region 1 DVDs, not sure if region 2 DVDs were released yet though.
bloodmeal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
well everyone is influenced by first impressions ... if the name sounds corny thn it is likely to put people off .

You cant judge a book by its cover? but that is rarely the case, most things are judged by their cover.

Besides i didn't say it WAS ''real corny'' i sed i THOUGHT it was, i have an open mind ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2