• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Judging animes by their opening theme songs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
They usually say not to judge a book by its cover and I suppose it might true for animes as well, but sometimes I've found the opening themes for some shows to be so incredibly annoying or bad that I dare not watch the show.

So, here's my question, do you guys ever judge an anime by its opening theme? And if you do, what type of music usually turn you away from watching the anime?

I try not to, but I generally I don't like theme songs that have high squeaky voices singing it or theme songs like that Hamtaro opening theme song on YTV... I have no idea why I don't like those theme songs, but I guess it's because the song usually promotes a kiddy kind of atmosphere to the show and I'm not really into kiddy shows anymore.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm very open to all kinds of songs and instrumental music, so I don't really have a problem with whatever they play during the opening.

One particular opening I don't like too much, though, is the first intro for Naruto. It sounds like bad 80s music with the style of rock he's trying to sing, kind of like a slow and cheesy Elvis song that's really out of place or something Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

I don't judge the content of anime by its opening song either, that just seems like a very close minded and prejudice thing to do, but I suppose that's because I'm real tolerant towards a lot of things Razz.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't nesscessarily judge an anime by its theme song, but what is showing during the song.

Today the images on books usualy show an important part of the book. So the saying "dont judge a book by its cover" no longer applies. The same goes with anime.

But, just because the opening song doesnt soud good doesn't mean its is a bad anime.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
One particular opening I don't like too much, though, is the first intro for Naruto. It sounds like bad 80s music with the style of rock he's trying to sing, kind of like a slow and cheesy Elvis song that's really out of place or something Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

Oh, that's right. I didn't think it was bad at first because I was so excited about actually seeing the anime. But, it's not that it's bad, it's just that '80s thing, as you said. I find that I like it more than a few other songs, like "Viva Rock" and "The First Time I Spoke With You" (which is actually an ending theme).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I've never let an opening turn me away from a series, but in some cases (like Rozen Maiden) it's drawn me towards a series. Some anime just have openings with almost nothing to do with the show itself (like Honey & Clovers), so I can't hold it against them. If I can't stand the opening I just drag the cursor and skip past it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
There's a good number of anime I enjoy that I never would have even given a chance if I judged them based on their openings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jagozon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I dont judge anime by there opening,But i noticed that anime that i realy like have very good openings and endiings,like Bleach,FMA,Samurai Champloo.I guess hearing a good opening gets you ready and excited to watch the anime. Very Happy
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
I bought Heat Guy J after watching the intro for it. And when I first sat down to watch the first episode, I knew absolutely nothing else about the series besides what I had seen in the intro. "FACE" is such an 80's song. Razz Plus, the shots used in the intro just sold it to me.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
The opening theme can be an important 'mood setter', but if I don't like it I just skip it. Same with the closing theme, it needs to set the right mood so I can think about what I've just seen or it gets skipped.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
If I don't like an opening theme song or whatnot I still watch the anime, for example I'm not fond of the samurai champloo OP 1st theme but I like the anime and most of the other theme music. If your going to judge an anime on anything do it on the manga(or vice versa) or research it beforehand aka do your homework on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, it was the opening theme that got me first interested in Soul Taker. Fortunately, the rest of the series was stunning enough to be enjoyable (I still find the art style to be one of the most striking out there).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
The opening theme can be an important 'mood setter', ...

What about the opening of SoulTaker or Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase? Rolling Eyes Laughing
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
The opening theme can be an important 'mood setter', ...

What about the opening of SoulTaker or Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase? Rolling Eyes Laughing

When I saw the Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase opening for the first time, I was completely shocked Shocked and was wondering if the series would actually be anything like the intro. I don't think it does, having seen two episodes. The opening was definitely pretty weird.

When I saw the opening theme for A Little Snow Fairy Sugar as a preview, I told myself that I wasn't going to pick up the series. But then the song got stuck in my head for months until I finally did pick it up and actually liked the series far more than I expected. The opening theme perfectly summarizes what the series is all about; extreme cuteness Wink.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone who says Tsukuyomi ~Moonphase~ opening is weird... it's really weird that you'll probably think it's not worth watching... but I'm not the kind of person that judge anime for their OP Themes.

Neko Mimi Mode! Tsukuyomi Mode Awwww! (DGreater1 dances to the tune)
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
kk wrote:
They usually say not to judge a book by its cover and I suppose it might true for animes as well, but sometimes I've found the opening themes for some shows to be so incredibly annoying or bad that I dare not watch the show.

^^; Wouldn't "cover" with anime work with like, the DVD art, and not the opening themes? Razz

Quote:
So, here's my question, do you guys ever judge an anime by its opening theme? And if you do, what type of music usually turn you away from watching the anime?

I think that's a really bad idea, and you could miss out on a lot of great shows that way. I've loved some anime that have really boring or uninteresting themes but the actual show itself is great. Not every anime I like makes me wanna buy the soundtrack. >_> But as people have said, there's also sometimes opening or ending songs you'll hear that make you wanna check out what show they're for.

If you wanna judge an anime on something, read a plot summary and look at some images. I think certain animation styles would be a greater turn on/off and hint if you'd like the anime or not than the first minute and a half of opening credits...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3