• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Drinking Games...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
totalgeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed in several (most?) anime series that there are certain words or phrases that could work as part of a drinking game. For example, if you took a drink everytime someone said either "Inuyasha" or "Kagome" in Inuyasha you would have alcohol poisoning by the end of two episodes! Wink In Fullmetal Alchemist you would get light headed if you drank each time someone says the word "brother".

My question is why do the writers of anime tend to overuse words/phrases so much? Gross repetition really takes away from the stories, in my opinion. I've gotten to the point where I just can't be bothered to watch Inuyasha for this reason. Think about your own conversations with friends. No one EVER calls their friends by their real names as much as everyone calls out names in anime. Most of the time, I call my friends "dude" or some joking insult name.

Is this a Japanese culture thing, or something?
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, calling by name is a matter of drama.

Other times, calling by name represents a relationship.

I can't talk about the Inu Yasha example, because I have never watched Inu Yasha.

I'd hazard to guess that it is partly a cultural thing. It also makes it easier for viewers in general to identify and recognise characters, including new viewers.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say it's a cultural thing.

In a lot of Asian cultures, it's very common for people to call others by their first (or sometimes last) name preceded or followed by some kind of honorific.

Whenever I talk to my friends I just look at them and usually say 'hey' or 'yo' sometimes followed by their name or not. It depends on how many people are in the room.

As for being around some of my parents' Asian friends, they usually refer to me as a "senior" compared to their children because I'm older, or a "junior" compared to other adults because I'm younger.

It's just a formality that devoloped in the langauge and culture that varies from conuntry to country, I suppose.

EDIT: Corrected some grammar and punctuation.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Never got bothered by a single word/phrase in any animes except in Full Moon Wo Sagashite with "Ecchi-kun"....
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
and I'm only annoyed when honorifics are used in dubbed anime.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:

That's one of the problems with dubs though, if you miss out the honorifics you can also miss out on a lot of the subtlety in the growth of relationships. Also, if you translate things like, for example, 'oniisan' and 'oniisama' as just 'brother' you end up confusing people.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
the voice of experiance says "DO NOT PLAY THE NAJICA BLITZ TACTITCS Drinking game"

Every time theres a panty shot call it out if you miss one take a drink or variation (the one I did) for every pantyshot take a drink.

you get smashed really fast.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more of a cultural thing too, because in Asia, people are sometimes called by an honorific. When Ed says brother a lot, I suppose it doesn't sound strange to the people over there. You'll hear elementary schoolers being called "student" over in China, even though it sounds silly from a Westerner's pont of view.

Nirvana wrote:
Never got bothered by a single word/phrase in any animes except in Full Moon Wo Sagashite with "Ecchi-kun"....
Yeah, that drove me wild when I saw a few episodes in the middle of the series.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Coffeeman wrote:

That's one of the problems with dubs though, if you miss out the honorifics you can also miss out on a lot of the subtlety in the growth of relationships. Also, if you translate things like, for example, 'oniisan' and 'oniisama' as just 'brother' you end up confusing people.

But it's the job of the translators to find these parts and translate them, and the script editors to make a workable strip from the translation. Translating "oniisan" as "brother" could be confusing, but only if the person has both a point of reference, and no understanding of the general meaning of the word. "Oniisan" could also be translated as "bro" or "Dude" or completely left out.

And if a relationship hinges entirely on the use of honorifics, and is not demonstrable in any other way, then the story can't be any good.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
But it's the job of the translators to find these parts and translate them, and the script editors to make a workable strip from the translation. Translating "oniisan" as "brother" could be confusing, but only if the person has both a point of reference, and no understanding of the general meaning of the word. "Oniisan" could also be translated as "bro" or "Dude" or completely left out.

And if a relationship hinges entirely on the use of honorifics, and is not demonstrable in any other way, then the story can't be any good.

Isn't oniisan more like "big brother?" Anyway, the whole honorific thing doesn't bother me if they leave it in or take it out and simplify it.

I mean, I'm no expert on the actual Japanese language, but I could probably think of a few better ways to translate those honorfics to be a bit more accurate.

In any case, I suppose that's just up to the script writers, but I think I understand both of the arguments being made here. The easy solution is to just stick with the langauge track you prefer and try not to complain about it too much Razz.

We all have our own takes on this, but we probably shouldn't let it bother anyone else other than ourselves.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The Ranma 1/2 Drinking Game!
Whenever Ranma turns into a girl and/or whenever Ryoga loses his direction have a shot any alcohol over 40% for minors under 19 that would be a shot of coke well over 13 wine should be fine ask your parents first!
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
My favorte is with Nagica Blitz Tactics:

Evert time panties are shown you take a shoot of sake, the first one to pass out durning the episode loses.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
For Big O, if you take a drink everytime a giant robot shows up (including Big O), and whenever Roger Smith makes a long winded monologue about fate versus freedom of choice, you'd pretty much be guaranteed to have cross-eyed babies.
MarcKal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:07 am Reply with quote
I love playing anime drinking games! Who doesn't?

Here are my general rules for general anime:
-Whenever a villain's name is called out, take a drink. Two for a hero.
-Whenever some pervert gets a nosebleed, take a drink.
-Fanservice? Take a drink! Two if there's full-blown nudity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
They use the names instead of You, he, she to make it indirect, thus making it more polite.

I am living in a Japanese home atm for Study Abroad, and they rarely refer to me other than ~~-san. The kids may call me oniisan, but thats about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2